Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What To Do With A Leather Jacket

Options
  • 13-10-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I have this really lovely leather jacket that I bought in Rome about 7 years ago, but it's way too big for me now since I've lost about 25 - 30 Kgs since then.

I was tempted to barter it, trade it in or equivalent, but it's been my first and only leather jacket and has some sentimentality attached.

Soooo, my question is: what would it take to get it altered to fit me now? Is such a thing possible? Would it have to be cut apart and restitched almost like a new jacket? If so, any recommendations as to who'd do this amount of work (I don' think my local zip-fixer is on for it).

I know the initial response is likely to be, "Better off buying a new jacket", but I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount to hold onto this one and make it useful.

This feels like an odd request, but cheers for any input.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It would very likely have to be taken apart if it is that much too big, and recut. Depending on the style that may not be as easy as it sounds. You will still need the same length, but reducing the width by a significant amount could create problems with, say, cutting the neckline or shaping the collar. And given the way leather wears and stretches you could find that existing creases and wear etc which look ok now, would just look peculiar on a different size.

It would be a job for an expert - if only to ensure they had the appropriate sewing machine to stitch leather - and would probably be more expensive than buying a new jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DrNuyenVanFaulk

Yeah... I suspected something as complicated as that!

Any recommendations for such an expert!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I can't think of anyone but I have seen someone do something similar with a domestic machine and a roller foot.

But the jacket had never been worn. Also she was able to reduce the length and just add darts to the back and front so it was an easier job. In all I'd say she reduced it by 5 inches around.

Advertisement