Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there a bigger ripoff than the college gown?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Graduated in the UK, measurements were given to the faculty office in advance. Turned up on the day and was given my gown and hat thingy. Gave them back at the end and it cost me nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

OneArt wrote: »
    It's all one can afford though. Except once a month when you can go down the butcher's and get a soggy kidney pie as a treat.
    If you're buying food at the butcher's it should be of better quality than a supermarket therefore why so the sogginess? Or are you totally exaggerating everything to the point where everything seems bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

eternal wrote: »
    Do I need to bring the pins with me? Thanks for your reply too btw.

Nope we have them there, wouldn't hurt to have an extra one or two though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Well OP at least you don't have to buy the gown: at my university in the UK, they're used for all sorts of occasions aside from graduation, so we just get told to buy one when we start. New they can be £100+, though there is a secondhand market. On top of that we have to pay to hire the hood for the actual graduation then :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Get the gown but do a Patch Adams on the day....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Laois6556 wrote: »
    Who says you have to wear a gown? Just wear your pennies clothes and they have some nice hats on sale for a fiver. You can throw that in the air when the other losers are throwing the stupid looking things. If any of the fellas say anything to you say 'I like the dress tranny' and if any of the girls say anything tell them that they look fat.

In ucc anyway you cant get conferred at the ceremony without the gown, so you only option is get it or dont go.

The whole thing is a face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What sort of useless waste of time degree did you do that even after graduating you cannot figure out why it costs money to rent an item of clothing?

Advertisement