Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pet issues

• 13-10-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

So I've had my pet dog for four years. My youngest brother is 8. So the dog has been living in the house for four years. My youngest brother suffers with mild asthema and gets chest infections regularly. This has not worsened changed since the dog was brought into the house. Yet tonight my father said "your brother has asthma, (which is a known fact in the family) If its the dog he's going" I think its absolutely ridiculous the dog has not agitated my brother for four years. All of a sudden however the dog is causing these health issues. Does anyone have any opinions ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I have chronic asthma and have always had dogs - my asthma is not related to dander and if anything my dogs have helped me - because I have built up a stronger immune system and they also calm me if I feel an attack coming on.

Chances are keeping pets will actually help strengthen your little brothers immune system. Having said that if dog hair and dander are shown as a cause keeping the dog groomed will help lessen the hairs - in my experience dust is a huge trigger - which a mix of dander from all humans and doggy - taking out carpets and regular hoovering particularly beds - underneath and matress has helped me greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Shauna_94

Pretzill wrote: »
    I have chronic asthma and have always had dogs - my asthma is not related to dander and if anything my dogs have helped me - because I have built up a stronger immune system and they also calm me if I feel an attack coming on.

Chances are keeping pets will actually help strengthen your little brothers immune system. Having said that if dog hair and dander are shown as a cause keeping the dog groomed will help lessen the hairs - in my experience dust is a huge trigger - which a mix of dander from all humans and doggy - taking out carpets and regular hoovering particularly beds - underneath and matress has helped me greatly.

I completely agree with you as my brother is on the autistic spectrum as well the dog actually soothes him. He sheds quite a bit but is brushed on a daily basis. So dog hair is not the issue and as you said it actually strengthens the immune system. I have commented previously on carpets and also the dampness is in all rooms downstairs, but no it has to be the dog it couldn't possibly be anything else my father also smokes works as a builder and frequently carries dust etc back to the house, but sure that couldn't be it either apparently

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Shauna_94 wrote: »
    my father also smokes works as a builder and frequently carries dust etc back to the house, but sure that couldn't be it either apparently

Hmmm. I think your dad is possibly transferring some of his guilt onto the dog?! :o

What sort of dog have you got Shauna_94? Not so much breed, but is he short-coated and does he moult? Or is he a longer-coated type or a low-moult type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Has his asthma been really bad lately? A lot of people seem to be having hayfever like symptoms at the moment, an odd time of the year for it, but I think the weather is playing havoc with pollens etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

muddypaws wrote: »
    Has his asthma been really bad lately? A lot of people seem to be having hayfever like symptoms at the moment, an odd time of the year for it, but I think the weather is playing havoc with pollens etc.

Yep hayfever still affecting me. Collie type dog coats also set me off sneezing.

My daughter has now also developed it this year & has had pneumonia three times in 12 mths. The dogs have definitely helped her though. Strengthening her immune system is very important.

Has your brother been given any antihistimines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

another hayfever sufferer here and I must say its bad at the moment especially last weekend I never remember it lasting this long usually gone early sept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Shauna_94 wrote: »
    I completely agree with you as my brother is on the autistic spectrum as well the dog actually soothes him. He sheds quite a bit but is brushed on a daily basis. So dog hair is not the issue and as you said it actually strengthens the immune system. I have commented previously on carpets and also the dampness is in all rooms downstairs, but no it has to be the dog it couldn't possibly be anything else my father also smokes works as a builder and frequently carries dust etc back to the house, but sure that couldn't be it either apparently

What type of dog do you have OP?

There are things you can do to lessen dog hair shedding, this may help a little:

1. Add Salmon oil to their food – you can get on www.zooplus.ie
    2. keep him / her regularly groomed
    3. Feed your dog a good quality dog food
    4. Brush every day with the correct brushes
    5. Bath once per month with good shampoo
    6. cover couches etc. with throws, wash at least once per week.
    7. Carpets are terrible for gathering pet hair, vacuum regularly or change to tiles / wooden floor.

Best of luck OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP I'd suggest allergy testing to find possible triggers/cause. I had allergy testing done and tested negative for dog hairs but if I didn't brush the dogs I'd have symptoms. Also if I'm at a training class at a daycare I bring an inhaler because there's always hair/dander floating around.

Advertisement