Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New (Rescued )Rottweiler Owner - Any Tips/advice

• 14-10-2014 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, my hubby and I lost our beautiful lab last week and were numb with grief , he was a rescue dog and my hubby's bff for 8years- we also have a very timid hound that's also a rescue-
    For our hounds sake we felt we should get him company ASAP as I know he is lonely without his friend, a rottie in the local shelter appealed to my hubby and for his sake (he is devastated and beyond himself with grief over our lab dying) I agreed-
    She's underweight around 18mths old and I'm scared as hell, I'm dog mad and have fostered dogs on and off for years , but no experience with rotties- I liked her at first but now after hearing what people say about rotties I'm so scared shel turn and get aggressive-
    Any advice ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I've had no experience of Rottweilers myself but had a friend who had one for many years. This rottie was the greatest old softie you could come across and was living amongst a family with 4 children and behaved perfectly.

All my dogs are rescues, a couple having been mistreated, but with a bit of TLC they became happy and contented. I see no reason why yours should not be the same.

Good Luck with your new addition and I hope you have many happy years together.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GraceyC

Mo60 wrote: »
    I've had no experience of Rottweilers myself but had a friend who had one for many years. This rottie was the greatest old softie you could come across and was living amongst a family with 4 children and behaved perfectly.

All my dogs are rescues, a couple having been mistreated, but with a bit of TLC they became happy and contented. I see no reason why yours should not be the same.

Good Luck with your new addition and I hope you have many happy years together.

Thank you, maybe it's just the grief is still very raw and I have no bond to her , the Internet can be so dangerous at time, I would never have passed judgement on a breed or dog but for after reading up I'm so scared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What exactly have you read and where? Any Rotties I have known have been great piles of slobbery mush. Dogs (any breed) don't suddenly 'turn' for no reason. It sounds like you have been reading up a load of hysteria written by people with very little knowledge of dogs.

What exactly have you read and where? Any Rotties I have known have been great piles of slobbery mush. Dogs (any breed) don't suddenly 'turn' for no reason. It sounds like you have been reading up a load of hysteria written by people with very little knowledge of dogs.

That's exactly what my hubby said, he's telling me I'm making myself paranoid which is so true! I was reared with labs, he was reared with German Shepards , and he's not a bit scared of her, to be fair she's very quiet so far only day 3 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Don't believe the hype, Rottweilers are amazing dogs, very loyal, and very loving. But also extremely powerful, which is why they have a bad name. Dog owners mistreat every breed of dog, and every breed of dog is capable of becoming aggressive, the problem is an aggressive Rottweiler will do more damage, hence the reputation. But in my experience they have a great temperament, and are actually less likely to bite than other breeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I can only echo what the others are saying, Rotties are amazing dogs.

I've handled loads, straight out of the pound and there's never been any issues considering they are a dog that gets heaps of bad press. So you should never believe all you read!

Stop looking at her as a Rottie and just look at her as a dog who needs your help. You said you liked her at first, and from your first post it appears you are, for whatever reason, now trying to put yourself off her.

Just look after her day to day, don't try to force a bond. I promise you she will grow on you :)

Toulouse wrote: »
    I can only echo what the others are saying, Rotties are amazing dogs.

I've handled loads, straight out of the pound and there's never been any issues considering they are a dog that gets heaps of bad press. So you should never believe all you read!

Stop looking at her as a Rottie and just look at her as a dog who needs your help. You said you liked her at first, and from your first post it appears you are, for whatever reason, now trying to put yourself off her.

Just look after her day to day, don't try to force a bond. I promise you she will grow on you :)

You are so right I do not know why I'm being like this at all. My husband totally agrees with you that I'm putting myself off just because she's not our beloved boy - I have said that I fostered dogs before and had some ones that needed a lot of training nips etc round food. Why am I looking at breed at just not at her wee face ? She's at the moment just lying looking up at me - it's our first day alone to together so let's get some bonding in with her,me and my hound
    Thank you all so glad I asked now maybe just needed that bit of reassurance that we can do this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Send a PM to andreac. She breeds and shows Rotties, so she'd be the best person to advise. I'd also get in touch with the breed club to seek their advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Ok, firstly, congrats on your new addition and what a wonderful thing to do, rescuing a Rottie in need.

Now, please please don't believe all the hype you read and hear. Rottweilers are just another breed of dog, like any dog, they have their own breed standard, characteristics, colour size etc.
    Please don't listen to anyone with negative comments to make about this amazing breed, because I can almost guarantee, that any of those people have never owned or been around a Rottweiler, because they wouldn't be making those comments if they had.

Rottweilers were actually originally bred to herd cattle and were droving dogs, its us humans that have given them this awful reputation.

I am an owner of 3 Rotties, 2 males and 1 female and I can honestly say, I will never own another breed. They are just fantastic to own. They make great pets and family pets, they are brilliant with children and just love to laze around, once they get their daily exercise. Rotties are quiet dogs, don't bark that much, only when absolutely necessary. They are easy going, not destructive either.

My Rotties get 2 walks a day and for the rest of the time they are snoozing around the house.

I really hope you give this special girl a chance and don't judge her by other, ignorant peoples attitudes. She sounds like she needs a lot of TLC so im sure she will give you lots back in return.

If you have any queries please don't hesitate to contact me. I am on the committee of The Rottweiler Club of Ireland too so can help you out if needs be.

Also, maybe do a little reading up on the breed standard as well to give you an insight on what this wonderful breed is really all about.

Thank you to all for advice ESP andreac so helpful , feel reassured now and less anxious , please god our new addition will be with us for many years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I took my very first steps for a rottie. I was sitting on the floor beside her with a rusk, offered it to her. She took it gently, stood up and walked off, and I walked after her :o

They are beautiful dogs and funnily enough I have never ever seen an aggressive one. Our next door neighbour has one that is locked outside 24/7, never petted or walked and he STILL presses himself against the fence for us to scratch him when we are outside, the poor softie :(

For a very long time I used to think rotties were just overweight dobies :p But seriously, don't believe what you read. Plenty of people have yappy, snappy and even aggressive and territorial/possessive Jack Russell terriers and still plenty of people take them into homes with kids. There's bad hype about every dog if you look hard enough to find it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I took my very first steps for a rottie. I was sitting on the floor beside her with a rusk, offered it to her. She took it gently, stood up and walked off, and I walked after her :o

That's one of the nicest things I've ever read on the Internet. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

That's one of the nicest things I've ever read on the Internet. :o

We have it on an old family video and it always makes me smile, my mum and dad and their friends (Lottie the Rottie, lol) laughing at me just standing right up and tottering off to make sure she doesn't do anything unsavoury with my biccie :p
    Absolutely a breed of gentle giants!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Can't believe no one has said it yet - but pic of the new lady?!

Can't believe no one has said it yet - but pic of the new lady?!

Oh i got some lovely photos sent to my email. Shes a lovely girl and looks very content in her new home :)

I'm only new to the site so unsure how to attach pics😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I used to not be fond of Rottweilers, they weren't my type of dog (this was when I'd judge a dog mostly by its appearance) but after meeting and playing with a few of them... omg I love them. They were all such big babies. There was one in particular that I grew a special bond with because other dogs seemed afraid to play with her, I don't know why! But I'd practically wrestler around with the girl just so she could have a bit of fun as other dogs would ignore her or give her a bit of the stink eye lol!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    I used to not be fond of Rottweilers, they weren't my type of dog (this was when I'd judge a dog mostly by its appearance) but after meeting and playing with a few of them... omg I love them. They were all such big babies. There was one in particular that I grew a special bond with because other dogs seemed afraid to play with her, I don't know why! But I'd practically wrestler around with the girl just so she could have a bit of fun as other dogs would ignore her or give her a bit of the stink eye lol!

I know what you mean and thank you all again for encouragement,
    I was out walking this morning and although people in my village are used to me and husband with 2 big dogs, as soon as I started to neighbour and said she's Molly the Rottie they backed away saying I need to be careful - again that terrified me, I don't want to be perceived "as her with the big dangerous dog" cos believe me that is certainly not either mine or my husbands personality
    I was saying to andreac today that a neighbour of ours in the estate had a rottie and neighbours complained as the dog was constantly barking and came through another neighbours fence where there were kids and there was sheer panic in the estate until the dog was impounded, so guess I'm just really nervous that if I or my hubby or indeed my wee hound get a bond with her that she could certainly turn and start knocking through fences

GraceyC wrote: »
    I was out walking this morning and although people in my village are used to me and husband with 2 big dogs, as soon as I started to neighbour and said she's Molly the Rottie they backed away saying I need to be careful - again that terrified me, I don't want to be perceived "as her with the big dangerous dog" cos believe me that is certainly not either mine or my husbands personality
    I was saying to andreac today that a neighbour of ours in the estate had a rottie and neighbours complained as the dog was constantly barking and came through another neighbours fence where there were kids and there was sheer panic in the estate until the dog was impounded, so guess I'm just really nervous that if I or my hubby or indeed my wee hound get a bond with her that she could certainly turn and start knocking through fences

She's barking now actually, we live in a rural village and the birds in the big trees behind the house are driving her daft and she hears other dogs barking poor girl she's chasing the birds and barking looking up at them , the neighbours will go mad

Please take no notice of those people. They genuinely haven't a clue. Just ignore them and walk away. You wont convince these narrow minded people that shes lovely, so i wouldn't even waste my energy on them.

Just concentrate on her and put all you can into getting her fit and healthy and feck the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

It's just people who don't know what a breed is like are unfortunately going to come up with their own ideas. I don't often see rottweilers around where I am but every one I have seen has been very well trained and well loved by their owners. It makes a lot more sense to judge who is the one holding the leash rather than the one who is attached to it... but even with that you can be really wrong as well.

Can't you keep her inside? :( The only reason why she would feel the need to bust out of your garden (if it isn't very well secured) would be out of boredom and/or loneliness. Any dog would go mad looking at the same 4 corners most of the day.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

She's barking now actually, we live in a rural village and the birds in the big trees behind the house are driving her daft and she hears other dogs barking poor girl she's chasing the birds and barking looking up at them , the neighbours will go mad

Can you call her in to the house when she is doing this? Shes just getting used to her surroundings i would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh dear, it sounds like you live in an area full of Daily Mail readers! What silly people, honestly as andrea says just ignore them, walk away.

On the bonding thing, give yourself time, you only lost your other dog a week ago, that's not very long, I remember when my last dog died, I was completely devastated, it took me a couple of months before I was ready for another dog, got a lovely rescue boy but whereas I'd fallen in love with my other dog on the spot, it took me a while to fall in love with the rescue and it was a good while before I could say to him 'I love you' (that sounds silly but I'm thinking fellow dog owners who have loved and lost will understand) :o

VonVix wrote: »
    It's just people who don't know what a breed is like are unfortunately going to come up with their own ideas. I don't often see rottweilers around where I am but every one I have seen has been very well trained and well loved by their owners. It makes a lot more sense to judge who is the one holding the leash rather than the one who is attached to it... but even with that you can be really wrong as well.

Can't you keep her inside? :( The only reason why she would feel the need to bust out of your garden (if it isn't very well secured) would be out of boredom and/or loneliness. Any dog would go mad looking at the same 4 corners most of the day.

Great point thanks, oh god yes my dogs have always been house dogs no exemptions
    Just during the day I like to leave back door open and let them come and go or let them out just in my back where I can see here them
    We got garden specially done for dogs spent all my redundancy doing it just for them and built a large shelter at back so they have beds in there too if I have to go out during day

Day 4 - my parents and brother live close by so have been coming up and down to get to know Molly incase we ever need babysitters!!!
    Poor girl, I'm ashamed of myself for allowing myself look at breed and not at a poor dog who today is feeling ill, she's had a bad tummy overnight and never went in the house just a wee cry to be let out and she must have been having cramps cos the poor lady had severe diahreaia, she's sleeping soundly now so decided to leave her be and skip morning walk, visit to the vets later to hopefully make her feel better,
    Last ngt she became more confident round us and wanted to explore the house more , she got very cosy on the sitting room rug that we couldn't hear the tv she was snoring so loud!!!
    My husband is concerned she is so thin so hopefully today the vet can help with food suggestions etc.
    Thanks everyone for great advice, encouragement and opening my eyes to what I think will be a lovely little lady, and very welcome addition to our Family and house x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Day 4 - my parents and brother live close by so have been coming up and down to get to know Molly incase we ever need babysitters!!!
    Poor girl, I'm ashamed of myself for allowing myself look at breed and not at a poor dog who today is feeling ill, she's had a bad tummy overnight and never went in the house just a wee cry to be let out and she must have been having cramps cos the poor lady had severe diahreaia, she's sleeping soundly now so decided to leave her be and skip morning walk, visit to the vets later to hopefully make her feel better,
    Last ngt she became more confident round us and wanted to explore the house more , she got very cosy on the sitting room rug that we couldn't hear the tv she was snoring so loud!!!
    My husband is concerned she is so thin so hopefully today the vet can help with food suggestions etc.
    Thanks everyone for great advice, encouragement and opening my eyes to what I think will be a lovely little lady, and very welcome addition to our Family and house x

Ahh lovely post! Good luck at the vet I hope shes ok. I'd be giving her small meals at regular intervals as shes so thin, her daily allowance split between say 5 meals, and I wouldn't be giving her too many treats at the moment until her tummy gets stronger. Best of luck to you Mollys a lucky dog to have found you!

Yeah Gracey, as i said to you, be careful with diet at the moment as it could upset her tummy if shes not used to eating certain things.

You could try feeding some bland chicken and rice for a few days and slowly introduce dry food if thats what you are going to be feeding.

What have you been giving her the last few days?

andreac wrote: »
    Yeah Gracey, as i said to you, be careful with diet at the moment as it could upset her tummy if shes not used to eating certain things.

You could try feeding some bland chicken and rice for a few days and slowly introduce dry food if thats what you are going to be feeding.

I was giving her dry nuts mixed with water ?

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Oh dear, it sounds like you live in an area full of Daily Mail readers! What silly people, honestly as andrea says just ignore them, walk away.

On the bonding thing, give yourself time, you only lost your other dog a week ago, that's not very long, I remember when my last dog died, I was completely devastated, it took me a couple of months before I was ready for another dog, got a lovely rescue boy but whereas I'd fallen in love with my other dog on the spot, it took me a while to fall in love with the rescue and it was a good while before I could say to him 'I love you' (that sounds silly but I'm thinking fellow dog owners who have loved and lost will understand) :o

I totally understand x

Ok. Do you know what brand? Its probably that shes just not used to eating it so i wouldnt worry too much.
    It should settle down in a few days but if its quite bad you might just want to feed some rice and chicken until shes better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Puppy food is actually good for putting weight on undernourished dogs. As has been said, little and often, give her digestive system time to work, and keep the food inside, if the meals are too big, she won't digest them.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Hi Gracey,

I have kept Rotties for 20 years. They are the best breed you will find bar none! They really are gentle giants and are real family dogs I.E. they really want to be with you or the family all the time. I could never let mine sleep out side. Typically they have their beds in the kitchen but once we are up they are up and about with us. My two wont go up stairs until they hear the little ones chatting, then they know its safe to go up with out waking them. Shadow will also come up for bedtime story every night without exception. Andrea is correct in everything she says about the breed and the standards. Peoples perception would have you believe you had a cross of a shark and a grizzly bear on the end of the lead! I will PM you details of a group that some of us Rottie owners are members of and you are more than welcome to come along. We have combined knowledge and experience in the breed that would be invaluable for you as a new owner. We also have a vet nurse amongst our ranks. But the main thing you need to know is your new baby is just looking for loads of love and cuddles. BTW where are you located?

All the best.

D

ElKavo wrote: »
    Hi Gracey,

I have kept Rotties for 20 years. They are the best breed you will find bar none! They really are gentle giants and are real family dogs I.E. they really want to be with you or the family all the time. I could never let mine sleep out side. Typically they have their beds in the kitchen but once we are up they are up and about with us. My two wont go up stairs until they hear the little ones chatting, then they know its safe to go up with out waking them. Shadow will also come up for bedtime story every night without exception. Andrea is correct in everything she says about the breed and the standards. Peoples perception would have you believe you had a cross of a shark and a grizzly bear on the end of the lead! I will PM you details of a group that some of us Rottie owners are members of and you are more than welcome to come along. We have combined knowledge and experience in the breed that would be invaluable for you as a new owner. We also have a vet nurse amongst our ranks. But the main thing you need to know is your new baby is just looking for loads of love and cuddles. BTW where are you located?

All the best.

D

If its the same page im thinking of, ive pointed her in the direction already :)
    Now, just wondering who you are now :P

If its the same page im thinking of, ive pointed her in the direction already :)

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Obviously the one with the Rottweiler; duh! :p

Oh also Gracey, Both of mine are rescues too. Sally is a rottie x she is about 5 we think and Shadow is the baby under 3 as best we can tell. You are in for a treat if you've never owned one before!!

I'm getting excited now with all the positive feedback! I can not thank you all enough , thanks for PM also , I've asked to join!! No stopping me and Molly now!
    She's been put on a recovery pack of food now and is on antibiotics our vet loved her but put her on antibiotics just incase of a little bug, I'm so so so glad I joined here to ask for some advice you've been wonderful

My husband doesn't do online much! Like I said he's an outdoor lad, but he wanted me to pass on his thanks to everyone who posted to my plea! We are sure we have one gorgeous lady here who will provide us with much love and joy thank you all x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭CBRLizzie

I adopted a Rottie a few years ago, she was an absolute dote, full of life and changed quite a few people's minds that I met about the breed. I had a few comments of "Oh I used to be afraid of Rotties, but she's fabulous" and "She's just a lab in a rottie's body". Unfortunately she was too full of life and needed someone full time, so even though it ripped my heart out, I gave her to a friend of mine who's retired, he has 2 other dogs and walks her on the beach twice a day - she has the life of reilly now, truly happy and loved in her new home.

I know what you mean about people's perceptions - I used to bring her to the Kennel Club for lessons, and everyone was very friendly and chatty - until the day I did Shave or Die and went - in that situation all people saw was a skinhead with a rottie and avoided us!

• Advertisement

CBRLizzie wrote: »
    I adopted a Rottie a few years ago, she was an absolute dote, full of life and changed quite a few people's minds that I met about the breed. I had a few comments of "Oh I used to be afraid of Rotties, but she's fabulous" and "She's just a lab in a rottie's body". Unfortunately she was too full of life and needed someone full time, so even though it ripped my heart out, I gave her to a friend of mine who's retired, he has 2 other dogs and walks her on the beach twice a day - she has the life of reilly now, truly happy and loved in her new home.

I know what you mean about people's perceptions - I used to bring her to the Kennel Club for lessons, and everyone was very friendly and chatty - until the day I did Shave or Die and went - in that situation all people saw was a skinhead with a rottie and avoided us!

LOL.... I used until very recently have a shaved head. It makes me laugh the way peoples perception of who you are just by the way you look can cause hysteria. If I was a banker they should be more worried!!

Note: I am not a banker. Just so we're clear!

Just an update and again thanks for messages, Molly and I are now the best of pals she is adorable and I love her to bits she has become a very welcome addition to our family thanks for all the support very grateful

Delete thread please mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Delete thread please mod

Sorry, but as a matter of site policy, we do not delete threads unless there is a very, very good reason to do so. Least of all it is a great dis-service to those who took the time to reply to inexplicably remove the posts that they put their thought and time into.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement