Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree cuttings

• 14-10-2014 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I'm very new to gardening so please be gentle, I have gotten cherry blossom trees and set them a few years ago and they have grown very nicely, I also sowed oak and horse chestnut seeds a few years ago and some are over 6 foot at this stage.

I would like to take a few cuttings of trees I have seen around locally, I have enquiry to a few of the land owners and for most of the really nice unusual trees I have found they have not been able to identify the so one of them told me to take some cuttings with permission.

What is needed and how do I go about it? How much of the branch do I cut and where on the branch is the best place?

Any help will be appreciated as I am trying to get my garden together for setting the lawn next March or April and I want lots of trees around for privacy and as a screen as we are beside a busy road on top of a hill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Not all trees will strike from cuttings and it is too early to take cuttings at the moment.
    If you take clear photos of the leaves and maby the whole tree shape (or in a couple of weeks of the buds) of the trees you are interested in then we may be able to ID them for you here.
    Take care that you get to know the trees you are planting or you may soon end up with a serious problem.
    Many trees can be bought bare root in the upcomming winter season and they do not cost a whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭looksee

With a couple of exceptions (willow, dogwood) you cannot just take a piece of branch and hope it will grow. Mostly they will not. There is a knack to taking cuttings - usually from fairly new growth and often with a 'heel' - the bit of the twig that has a small bit of the branch attached to it. You need to know the time of year, the type of cutting and the specific treatment for various trees. Shrubs are a bit easier. Hormone rooting powder/solution helps.

Also be aware that if you break bits of a few trees - generally 'flowering cherries' (prunus) you are risking disease getting into both the twig and the parent tree. Some trees grow much more easily from seeds.

As Oldtree says, buying bare root will be way more satisfactory and reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭gk5000

The RHS is your friend.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/shrubs

Click on the plant and they will tell the way to propagate - softwood cuttings, hardwood cutting, semi-ripe; etc

Click on the terms - softwood, hardwood and they will give you more information. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=307

And finally from the RHS:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/RHS-Propagating-Plants-Alan-Toogood/dp/1405315253/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1T3ZC5GZBBS6SP91BAQ2

But bear in mind that propagated shrubs/tress can take a while to get moving so allow them time.

Advertisement