Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping Out

Options
  • 14-10-2014 7:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Im not quite taking to my course as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong, Maynooth is a fantastic college and town but I'm not liking the course. I'm doing finance and I am not enjoying it at all. Lost in all my lectures. I thought it was what I wanted to do but I should of done Strength and Conditioning in LIT-Thurles. Just wondering what the date is to drop out without ruining my grand chances and free fees and all that? Also who do I contact in the college to talk about this to? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Sorry to hear that there course isn't working out! Go talk to Rose in Academic Advisory. She's brilliant and will help you with everything! I think the last date is usually around the end of October / Reading week time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Thanks for the reply, found her contact information on another thread so went and saw her today. Lovely woman. You can probably close the thread now unless you want to keep it open if people want to ask me anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

I'd seriously reconsider your choice if you want to have paid employment some time in the next decade. Most courses of worth are not a bag of laughs.

I'll keep this open as this query can come up a lot
    Beaner1 wrote: »
    I'd seriously reconsider your choice if you want to have paid employment some time in the next decade. Most courses of worth are not a bag of laughs.

This kind of statement keeps coming up in these like these and it's getting a bit boring. Why should a person suffer through a course that they don't enjoy because it's "of worth"? The OP has already said that they'd rather do a different course so they're not dropping out with the idea of doing nothing and even if they were then that's their prerogative. It doesn't mean that they've lost any chance of getting "paid employment" as you seem to think.

I'll keep this open as this query can come up a lot

This kind of statement keeps coming up in these like these and it's getting a bit boring. Why should a person suffer through a course that they don't enjoy because it's "of worth"? The OP has already said that they'd rather do a different course so they're not dropping out with the idea of doing nothing and even if they were then that's their prerogative. It doesn't mean that they've lost any chance of getting "paid employment" as you seem to think.

Finance isn't of interest to me, I thought it was but it isn't. I am very sport orientated so I wish to do a strength and conditioning course in LIT. Tough conversation with the parents there telling them my situation. I completely agree. If I'm lost after 4 weeks and I've been a diligent student and none of the modules are interesting why would I bother getting a degree in something that I have no interest in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭CSSE09

9bred4 wrote: »
    Finance isn't of interest to me, I thought it was but it isn't. I am very sport orientated so I wish to do a strength and conditioning course in LIT. Tough conversation with the parents there telling them my situation. I completely agree. If I'm lost after 4 weeks and I've been a diligent student and none of the modules are interesting why would I bother getting a degree in something that I have no interest in?
    As hard as it was telling your parents in the long run you'll be better off. A lot of people stay a year, drop out and then realise they'll have to pay full fees for first year which is no small amount of money. There's no point doing a degree in something you have no interest in, I'm in IT myself and often see people suggesting get in to IT that's where the jobs are yet the drop out rate is huge because people lose interest halfway through. Best of luck for the future too.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭eet fuk

You're doing the right thing. I dropped out twice! But I'm finally graduating after 8 years this Saturday and it feels damn good :)

You probably won't get a good degree from a course you dislike anyway and there's much more to life than a well paid cushy job. Your happiness must come first when possible.

Yeah exactly, thanks for the support lads. I feel myself I'm doing the right thing, don't exactly have the luxury of being able to splash out a few grand whenever!

I'd rather be happy without a bean to my name than suffering some 9-5 that I despise.

I'd rather be happy without a bean to my name than suffering some 9-5 that I despise.

Most people change their tune when they properly grow up. They start to see the positives a lot more when faced with the alternatives.

• Advertisement

Most people change their tune when they properly grow up. They start to see the positives a lot more when faced with the alternatives.

"Properly grow up" :rolleyes:
    When a lot of people are settled into the job they hate they quickly realise that there aren't many positives and regret not switching course when they had the chance.

"Properly grow up" :rolleyes:
    When a lot of people are settled into the job they hate they quickly realise that there aren't many positives and regret not switching course when they had the chance.

I know plenty of them. THey followed their dreams with more courses in photography, sound engineering, psychology. Masters in whatever interested them. And what are they doing now? Sitting in their 30s begging for a dead end job that actually paid the bills and not the 20 hours of casual work they are getting now.

Do the course and do your best. The world is your oyster with a proper degree and a bit of ambition. I'm doing something completely unrelated to my degree now. It was a means to an end and trust me that end is worth it.

I know plenty of them. THey followed their dreams with more courses in photography, sound engineering, psychology. Masters in whatever interested them. And what are they doing now? Sitting in their 30s begging for a dead end job that actually paid the bills and not the 20 hours of casual work they are getting now.

Do the course and do your best. The world is your oyster with a proper degree and a bit of ambition. I'm doing something completely unrelated to my degree now. It was a means to an end and trust me that end is worth it.

I've dropped out since, interview for a job down home, have the job full time. Just thought I'd update ye! Might not have a degree but full of ambition.

9bred4 wrote: »
    I've dropped out since, interview for a job down home, have the job full time. Just thought I'd update ye! Might not have a degree but full of ambition.

Great to hear!

Advertisement