Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting pound sterling cash

Options
  • 14-10-2014 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I am planning a trip to London in the next week or so- what is the best way of obtaining some GBPs for spending money? Any recommended bureau de changes near St Stephens Green?

I am with Permanent TSB. Will my debit card work in ATMs over there to withdraw cash?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Your debit card will work in ATM's and stores, just as it does here at home. Anywhere you see the Visa symbol, basically :)

There are fees attached, and you should check with PTSB for the current charges. It's also worth giving them a heads up that you'll be using the card abroad before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Doesn't any post office change money?

Yes, but the rates are generally not all that competitive (hence they say "commission free"..they make it up in the rate they offer)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Ah, good point about charges - https://www.permanenttsb.ie/about-us/need-help/productsupport/visa-debit-card-faqs/#d.en.3214 I guess the first and third item are applicable to the UK.
    The following charges will apply when using the Visa Debit Card.
    • When paying for goods or services outside the eurozone – 1.75% of the euro value of the transaction (min €0.46 max €11.43).
    • ATM transactions outside the EU will be charged 3.5% of the euro value (min €3.17 – max €11.43).
    • All non Euro withdrawals will be charged 3.5% of the euro value (min €3.17 – max €11.43).

Yup, they would be be applicable from my reading of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Ah, good point about charges - https://www.permanenttsb.ie/about-us/need-help/productsupport/visa-debit-card-faqs/#d.en.3214 I guess the first and third item are applicable to the UK.

That rate (1.75%) for purchases is very good - Mastercard (admittedly a credit card) charges me 2.25% for non-EU purchases and there's no way you'll get as good a rate as (interbank +) 1.75% if you try to get cash anywhere.

For buying sterling, I've looked at today's rates and you'd be better off buying sterling from AIB and paying the 1% or €1.27 (whichever is lower) commission. The AIB rate today (Oct 14th) is 0.7805 so to buy £250 will cost you €323.51 - about €5 cheaper than An Post or BOI. That's an effective exchange rate of interbank +2.81% so paying with the card anywhere you can will be better than using cash.

As usual the An Post rate is the worst of the three (AIB/An Post/BOI) - 0.7621 - because they rely on being recommended by word of mouth based on the 'no commission' nonsense.

Advertisement