Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online tackle shop?

Options
  • 14-10-2014 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Well lads im looking to get a new pike dead bait rod, any recommendations of rods and where to buy from, lots of good deals on uk sites but costs a lot for delivery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

interize wrote: »
    Well lads im looking to get a new pike dead bait rod, any recommendations of rods and where to buy from, lots of good deals on uk sites but costs a lot for delivery.

Have a gander at lureshop.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I've used Veals for getting on for 20 years - first class service.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

M.I.A in Blanchardstown are great. Do online sales as well. But great bunch of lads. Happy to recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Glasgow Angling Centre has good prices and speedy delivery.
    http://www.fishingmegastore.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭db97

I got a baitrunner reel and 3 piece 12 foot carp rod off sports direct. ie cheap enough man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

where are you based and whats your budget?
    I have never bought a rod online, as shipping can be a disaster, and parcel motel don't take items in that shape.

have a look at your local tackle shop before buying online, in most cases, their prices have been reduced as a result of online tackle shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭AstraOwner

db97 wrote: »
    I got a baitrunner reel and 3 piece 12 foot carp rod off sports direct. ie cheap enough man.

I'm all for saving a few quid. But if you're going to be doing a lot of fishing the likes of sports direct gear just won't stand up to it. A friend got a couple of rods and a reel from there. Both rods snapped (one casting, one under strain) and the reel didn't last too long either (baitrunner went amongst other things). The rods lasted a year or so but he still had to go out again and buy proper gear. And thankfully neither broke when he was in a pike. Buy cheap, buy twice.

A proper pike rod will feel much better in the hand. They're designed for their purpose, ie. casting large baits and playing hard fighting pike. Many cheap rods tend to rip the hooks from the baits when casting far and won't allow you the same distance.

Of the two the reel is probably more important. I've seen countless cheap reels thrown away. It's well worth investing in something like a Shimano, even their cheapest baitrunner is a great bit of kit and will last.

Cheap gear is fine for someone who might fish a couple of times a year. But you won't see any serious pike anglers with cheap rods and reels. They just don't last and it's not worth the chance of them failing at a crucial time, which at best leaves you with having to cut a day short and buying new gear, at worst it means missing a big fish, and even a dead big fish.

AstraOwner wrote: »
    I'm all for saving a few quid. But if you're going to be doing a lot of fishing the likes of sports direct gear just won't stand up to it. A friend got a couple of rods and a reel from there. Both rods snapped (one casting, one under strain) and the reel didn't last too long either (baitrunner went amongst other things). The rods lasted a year or so but he still had to go out again and buy proper gear. And thankfully neither broke when he was in a pike. Buy cheap, buy twice.

A proper pike rod will feel much better in the hand. They're designed for their purpose, ie. casting large baits and playing hard fighting pike. Many cheap rods tend to rip the hooks from the baits when casting far and won't allow you the same distance.

Of the two the reel is probably more important. I've seen countless cheap reels thrown away. It's well worth investing in something like a Shimano, even their cheapest baitrunner is a great bit of kit and will last.

Cheap gear is fine for someone who might fish a couple of times a year. But you won't see any serious pike anglers with cheap rods and reels. They just don't last and it's not worth the chance of them failing at a crucial time, which at best leaves you with having to cut a day short and buying new gear, at worst it means missing a big fish, and even a dead big fish.

Couldnt agree more. Im a firm believer in "Buy cheap....buy twice"

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭db97

true astraowner I have another dead bait rod aswell and a few good carp bait runner reels.. iv to stock up on pike gear iv loads of coarse fishing gear keep nets unhooking mats float and feeder rods.. but im mad into the pike fishing now :) any suggestions on a good rod and reel for just static dead baiting like thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

db97 wrote: »
    true astraowner I have another dead bait rod aswell and a few good carp bait runner reels.. iv to stock up on pike gear iv loads of coarse fishing gear keep nets unhooking mats float and feeder rods.. but im mad into the pike fishing now :) any suggestions on a good rod and reel for just static dead baiting like thanks.

Good tackle will last you a lifetime if minded correctly, I look to get 10 years out of my rods, it also makes it easier to justify spending loads on tackle!. I use a lot of Fox gear, not cheap, but for the most part its very good. My rods, drop offs, and most of my terminal tackle are Fox. Greys, Drennan, shimano, daiwa all have good predator gear in general.

as for the reels, shimano bait runner. Not cheap, but imo the best real for the job. Look after them, and they will never let you down

• Advertisement
Advertisement