Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo Sept/Oct 2015

Options
  • 14-10-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

Hi just looking for some advice on the this trip that I will be making next year. Not sure of the dates yet, but do you think it would be better to fly from Dublin to New York, Boston etc and grab a connecting flight to Buffalo and therefore clear immigration at Dublin or to get a direct flight to Toronto and drive down. I will be hiring a car for the duration of the trip.

I have travelled between Canada and the U.S. before and we were held in immigration for over 2 hours before being cleared.

Also, as it is yet too early to book flights( apart from air-transat), when would you think is the best time to book flights. I was thinking of waiting until January and see if there are any sales or should I just book them as soon as they are up on the websites.

Thanks for all your advice.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I would go for Dublin to NYC with a connection to Buffalo.

Check out sites like kayak.com to give you an idea of prices. You should book it as one trip so that your baggage allowance will be considered "international" to your destination. If you split the bookings trying to save a few bucks, you'll end up spending it on luggage :)

As for best time, Kayak has a price trend graph that can show you which way prices are going. In theory, domestic US flights are at their cheapest 54 days in advance, but you may want to firm up plans sooner than that.

If you're hiring a car, you may also want to wait until you get to Buffalo. While you are allowed bring a Canadian rental car to the US, you must have permission in writing from the rental company, so if you're going to spend most of the time in the US, it might be better to get it there. If you do that and plan on driving it to Canada, make sure that's allowed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Drove from Canada into America before and there wasnt any issue at border crossings, but I will definitley make sure I have this checked out this time as it over 5 years since I did this. The last time I rented a car of National and that driving in the U.S. was included in the policy.

Advertisement