Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to migrate to SSD

Options
  • 14-10-2014 1:10pm

I purchased a refurb Thinkpad t410 with Windows 7 Pro pre-installed (I only had to activate it so everything is legit). I have a SSD lying around. I partly followed this guide:

http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid-state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

I did it all but when I put in the SSD, Windows wouldn't boot. The BIOS listed the boot devices and for the SSD it said "not a valid operating system".

I'm wondering about "repairing the bootloader" as it was mentioned vaguely in the Lifehacker guide. In order to repair it I'd need to insert the install CD....but the problem is I don't have an install CD!! I wonder would I get away with downloading a dodgy copy of Windows 7 Pro and just using it to repair the bootloader....would that work?

I'd be grateful for any help as I spent ages cloning the drive and am staring at a blank screen when I install the SSD...:mad:

Comments

Advertisement