Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric shower in mobile home

Options
  • 14-10-2014 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Looking at getting an electric shower installed in my mobile home. I know the cable feeding the mobile home will need to be increased and an earth bar installed if not already done but just wondering is there any other precautions needed.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What type is shower? Is it an instantaneous type (these heat the water as it is used)?

My concern is that the supply available is not large enough for an instantaneous type unit as these are from 8.5kW up. This type of shower should be fed from a dedicated RCBO (or MCB & RCD).

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

2011 wrote: »
    What type is shower? Is it an instantaneous type (these heat the water as it is used)?

My concern is that the supply available is not large enough for an instantaneous type unit as these are from 8.5kW up. This type of shower should be fed from a dedicated RCBO (or MCB & RCD).

Yes instantaneous. The mobile is fed from a esb meter this is temp acomadation until house is built. A new supply will be brought from meter to mobile fuse box big enough to supply shower and mobile. And a seperate rcbo will be put into mobile fuse box for shower which will be newly wired

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

alan86 wrote: »

Yes instantaneous. The mobile is fed from a esb meter this is temp acomadation until house is built. A new supply will be brought from meter to mobile fuse box big enough to supply shower and mobile. And a seperate rcbo will be put into mobile fuse box for shower which will be newly wired

All of the rules that apply to a house will apply. This means that the supply to the board must be at least 16 sq. & main switch fuse must be at least 63A. Earth rod & equipotential bonding also required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

What about a bottled gas tankless boiler? Cheap to buy and no cables required.

freddyuk wrote: »
    What about a bottled gas tankless boiler? Cheap to buy and no cables required.

I'm sure it would work, but you would have to buy the boiler. An instantaneous shower is probably better suited temporary accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Advertisement