Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joining the Garda

• 14-10-2014 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi al new to this
    I'm thinking of joining the garda it's been some thing I've always wanted to do but life has got in the way just have a few question
    I have no previous conviction
    But my brothers have will that be a problem

I'm resitting my leaving cert shortly I'm 29
    Wil that be a problem thank

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

You've picked the wrong time, your going to be waiting at least three years, which could stretch out to 5. Depending on the speed of recruitment.

Also family convictions are a problem depending on severity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Hi al new to this
    I'm thinking of joining the garda it's been some thing I've always wanted to do but life has got in the way just have a few question
    I have no previous conviction
    But my brothers have will that be a problem

I'm resitting my leaving cert shortly I'm 29
    Wil that be a problem thank

Ye sorry to say buddy ya missed the boat :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jasonhanbury

empacher wrote: »
    You've picked the wrong time, your going to be waiting at least three years, which could stretch out to 5. Depending on the speed of recruitment.

There minor driving convictions etc does that really affec my chance of gettin in I've never done any thing wrong on any body in my life it would take mr a year to do the leaving cert over so I have 5 years to get in how ye think my chances are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

empacher wrote: »

As far was i'm aware only close relations like brothers, sisters, mother and father can have an effect?

Family relations like uncles, aunts ect don't matter unless it's somthing off the wall like a known terrorist or somthing like that lol

That's what i'v been told anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

As far as family convictions, yes, it can have an impact on your application but only if you get to the later stages of the competition - how much of an impact they have really depends on lots of factors, severity of offences etc.

Age wise - 29 now, you've still got 6 years until you hit the age cut off point of 35 years old to apply - so I'd imagine you will get a chance to apply at some stage before then, it probably won't be next year or the year after, but I'd be fairly confident they'll run a competition in the next 6 years again.

Between now and then, do what you can to help your chances, work, travel, learn. The likes of First Aid, involvement in sport, college course, physical fitness, social/community activities all help. Have you considered joining the Garda Reserve to get some experience? Other volunteering like the Civil Defence, youth clubs, Simon Community etc would all stand to you.

Also, the PSNI will be recruiting a lot more regularly, that might be something that'll interest you - Northern Ireland Police Service, check their website.

Hope this is of some help, keep on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement