Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget live thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Looks like a giveaway budget judging by some of the info posted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

foggy_lad wrote: »
    all welfare recipients getting the fuel allowance will also get the water allowance so it includes long term unemployed(over 15 months).

Just wondering about my parents, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

Xmas Bonus is back ffs

its all about getting people spending more over the chritmas,

Sure the goverment will get most of it back on goods VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭jaded_pause

Xmas Bonus is back ffs

What did he say about the xmas bonus? Stream keeps cutting in and out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What did he say about the xmas bonus? Stream keeps cutting in and out :rolleyes:
    25% bonus this year.

So not the giveaway it used to be - if you get €200/week, you'll get €250 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

25%

best thing would be to tune into newstalk, they have it live - no adverts

12 million on Arts

They dont even pay f**king TAX !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Rightwing wrote: »
    Did they strike oil beneath Leinster House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Phoebas wrote: »
    Did they strike oil beneath Leinster House?

In fairness, the raises are not much more than inflation... and anyone 70K+ are getting shafted again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

its trying its best to look like that

reality is somewhat different

most wont see any real change in total tax paid and the water bills will be coming in the door

• Advertisement

FF & SF won't be happy.

I hope they know what they are doing, but I won't begrudge anyone the benefits, but it looks dangerous policy.

Civil service recruitment freeze is over.

all welfare recipients getting the fuel allowance will also get the water allowance so it includes long term unemployed(over 15 months).

Sorry to ask again, but they said it will be for those on household benefits package

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Just wondering about my parents, thanks :)
    Living alone allowance won't apply to them unless they get divorced, It is going from €7 to €9/week.

As for the water allowance Howlin announced it is also being given to those in receipt of the Fuel allowance because some pensioners etc don't get the household benefits package depending on which payment they are getting.

FF & SF won't be happy.

I hope they know what they are doing, but I won't begrudge anyone the benefits, but it looks dangerous policy.

Dont worry once FG & L get back into Goverment next year they will take all the benefits and cuts back,

its always the way politics work take take take and once elections are on the way its give give give,

Godge wrote: »
    That is more than a married couple on €45k get from the tax changes.

apologies it is being increased to €9 rather than by €9

this is an increase of €2 a week

"Using borrowed money to buy votes".

How did a FFer write that line and not spot the hypocrisy?

Living alone allowance won't apply to them unless they get divorced, It is going from €7 to €9/week.

As for the water allowance Howlin announced it is also being given to those in receipt of the Fuel allowance because some pensioners etc don't get the household benefits package depending on which payment they are getting.

Ah cool :D They dont get the household benefits but they get fuel allowance.

seamus wrote: »
    Civil service recruitment freeze is over.

I give up :(

• Advertisement

respect the people I represent minister or I'll go over thee and poke you right in the eye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

FF & SF won't be happy.

don't worry, we will hear from their apologists once they have got their guide from party HQ on how to respond.

seamus wrote: »
    "Using borrowed money to buy votes".

How did a FFer write that line and not spot the hypocrisy?

Well he did hit the nail on the head

go buy a Camera phone from the back benchers
    f**king Pigs the lot of them

Just on the USC increases for the top earners, wasn't that a sly move to only include self employed earners on €100,000+ so that the likes of politicians and those picked for prominemt positions by said politicians are exempt! the likes of rehab bosses and taoiseach/tainaiste/ministers/Judges/Civil servants/Irish water employees etc etc would not have to pay the higher rate of USC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Xmas Bonus is back ffs

Disgraceful...more "free money".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

jameshayes wrote: »
    25%

best thing would be to tune into newstalk, they have it live - no adverts

Worse they had Chris butting in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

On an individual basis, it looks like a pittance of a tax refund, which is cancelled out by the water tax anyway.

Honestly, instead of giving everyone the price of a bag of chips, I wish they'd hang onto it and build some infrastructure instead.

Spunking away millions and millions on Africa...and another 200 million on arts.

What about people who've been working here throughout all this bullshiit? We get an extra 1% after 20% worth of cuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Riskymove wrote: »
    extra €9 a week for living alone allowance

Not €9 extra. Its being increased to €9. Currently €7.50pw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I don't understand the income tax relief on water charges - is this just for those in receipt of the Household Benefits Package? Or does everyone get this income tax relief? :confused:

• Advertisement

fxotoole wrote: »
    I don't understand the income tax relief on water charges - is this just for those in receipt of the Household Benefits Package? Or does everyone get this income tax relief? :confused:

Only those who pay their water charges and who pay income tax.

Just on the USC increases for the top earners, wasn't that a sly move to only include self employed earners on €100,000+ so that the likes of politicians and those picked for prominemt positions by said politicians are exempt! the likes of rehab bosses and taoiseach/tainaiste/ministers/Judges/Civil servants/Irish water employees etc etc would not have to pay the higher rate of USC.

Wrong, the 1% increase on all USC rates over 70k was for everyone.

The higher rate for self-employed on over 100k (10% until changed this year to 11%) was introduced two years ago I think.

Part of the thinking behind it was that self-employed people can hide more of their income away from income tax compared to PAYE taxpayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Hi,

I'm just curious about the 25% bonus thing for Christmas, is that only for social welfare recipients or would someone whom is in receipt of a disability allowance also receive that?

I cant seem to find any more info on it. Any help would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Godge wrote: »
    Only those who pay their water charges and who pay income tax.

So they're reducing the revenue that's going to be generated from water charges by giving up to €100 back to each household?

Stupid, shortsighted move if you ask me. They should have stayed the course with the cutbacks instead of giving the sort-of-giveaway budget they gave us.

Although I do agree with increasing the entry point to USC and making up the difference by introducing the 8% rate at the higher end of the scale.

OSI wrote: »
    An extra €600 in my pocket over the next year. Not too bad in my eyes.

Just over a tenner a week...great.

OSI wrote: »
    An extra €600 in my pocket over the next year. Not too bad in my eyes.

before water charges

chopper6 wrote: »
    Spunking away millions and millions on Africa...and another 200 million on arts.

What about people who've been working here throughout all this bullshiit? We get an extra 1% after 20% worth of cuts!

I've no problem with them getting that. Might help them to do something.

fxotoole wrote: »
    So they're reducing the revenue that's going to be generated from water charges by giving up to €100 back to each household?

Stupid, shortsighted move if you ask me. They should have stayed the course with the cutbacks instead of giving the sort-of-giveaway budget they gave us.

Although I do agree with increasing the entry point to USC and making up the difference by introducing the 8% rate at the higher end of the scale.

What they are doing is making a small concession in a way that forces those who want the concession to register and pay for water charges.

If you refuse to pay water in 2015 and it takes until 2016 to track you down, you won't get the tax relief for 2015.

Hi,

I'm just curious about the 25% bonus thing for Christmas, is that only for social welfare recipients or would someone whom is in receipt of a disability allowance also receive that?

I cant seem to find any more info on it. Any help would be appreciated :)

the previous bonus was:
    Weekly social welfare payments eligible for the Christmas bonus include State Pension (Contributory, Non-Contributory and Transition), Widow's and Widower's (Contributory and Non Contributory Pension), Guardian's Payment (Contributory and Non-Contributory), Invalidity Pension, Blind Pension, Deserted Wife's Benefit, Carer's Allowance and Benefit, Disability Allowance, Farm Assist, long-term Jobseeker's Allowance and a number of other employment support payments.

Some typical weekly social welfare rates (maximum) include; State Pension (Contributory) (€209.30) State Pension (Non-Contributory) (€200); Carer's Allowance (€200); Jobseeker's Allowance (€185.80); and Farm Assist (€185.80).

The Christmas Bonus is also paid to certain participants of FÁS, Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS), Job Initiative and Community Employment schemes and certain income maintenance schemes operated by the Department of Health and Children. In addition, those in receipt of payments under the Rural Social Scheme will also benefit.

I've no problem with them getting that. Might help them to do something.

Yes coz the 30 billion they're already receiving,yearly in aid has done them no end of good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Riskymove wrote: »
    the previous bonus was:

Thanks a lot Risky, that'll make a small difference for me at christmas :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

This should've been a tax-only budget. Child benefit didn't need to be raised, and most people who work (funding social welfare) don't get a "Christmas Bonus", least of all those of us in the public sector. Labour party budget if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

any budget calculators up yet, cant find any

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Red Alert wrote: »
    This should've been a tax-only budget. Child benefit didn't need to be raised, and most people who work (funding social welfare) don't get a "Christmas Bonus", least of all those of us in the public sector. Labour party budget if you ask me.

Too much Labour, and not enough logic, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Red Alert wrote: »

Here Here, awarding people on Social Welfare for remaining on it for yet another year. Good one Labour. I work full time 40+ hours per week yet I wont have any chance of getting a Christmas Bonus. Seriously what is wrong with this country that it gives people a 'bonus' for doing nothing.

geeksauce wrote: »
    Here Here, awarding people on Social Welfare for remaining on it for yet another year. Good one Labour. I work full time 40+ hours per week yet I wont have any chance of getting a Christmas Bonus. Seriously what is wrong with this country that it gives people a 'bonus' for doing nothing.

Well FF will give it, and SF will give it. That's the real problem.

I think you are talking about unemployed benfits....people should remember that social welfare covers a much wider range of people on benefits than just that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 _taytothief

Shower of clowns. If you accuse the chair of bias, he just kicks you out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭chasm

Only caught bits of the budget so will have to have a proper look at it now.

Not sure what to make of the "Back to Work Family Dividend" It doesn't affect the FIS payment either so it looks like an incentive for people(with Children) to return to work but would it not mean that they will receive a lot more money than a co-worker with the same family set up who has been in employment before this scheme was introduced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

The idea of JA/JB is that people are given the bare minimum to get by while looking for work, necessary expenditure increases at christmas so a bonus reflects this. Social welfare recepients include the disabled, elderly, those on income supports, people under 25 on jobsbridge schemes with a whopping 150e income for a 40hr week, people who have been net contributors to the state and have fallen on hard times and many others. There are still not enough jobs in this country to employ everyone, and not everyone who is employed can be in a manner they are independent of the state, it is not even economically possible for any country to have a zero unemployment rate, I do not understand this hostility to people in an already bad situation. It could be you some day.

Advertisement