Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Travel Insurance is worth it

Options
  • 14-10-2014 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would share my experience.

I'm Irish and living in the Netherlands for the last 7 years. I went on Vacation to Sri Lanka with a Dutch friend of mine for 2 weeks last month, 2 days in Belgrade, 1 day in Abu Dhabi and 11 days in Sri Lanka.

The night before we were due to go back to the Netherlands we decided to head out for a night of partying in Unawatuna, on the way to the Bar (we hadn't even been out yet) I stepped into a rather large concrete drain that was covered in bushes.

At the time I didn't think it was so bad, but while walking my leg started to feel wet (it was dark) and when I put my hand down I felt a rather large hole in my leg :eek:

So, we grabbed a Tuk Tuk and went to a local hospital, the place was pretty rough, people sleeping on the floors, completely dilapidated (would really make you think twice about saying the HSE has problems)

They cleaned the wound and bandaged it and then told us there was no doctors there until maybe tomorrow or the day after. I said that was fine and it was probably best if we went home and went to another hospital with a doctor the next day. She said NO, and this wasn't Western Healthcare and that we would have to stay as I was checked in now and they were responsible for me. They also said if i tried to leave they would have security physically detain me at the hospital.

So, looking at the people sleeping sleeping on the floor and the general state the place was in, I waited until she went on her break and then told another nurse I was going for a smoke.

Jumped in a Tuk Tuk and went back to the Hostel we were staying in. Got around 5 hours sleep and then in the morning we drove to Colombo where a local had recommended a hospital.

The second hostpital was great, xray took 10 minutes, consultation had a wait of 45 minutes and spent around 30-40 minutes to suture up my leg.

Anyway, when this all happened we contacted the Travel Insurance, they said to pay the hospital and transport costs directly and to keep receipts. They also arranged a flight home in Business Class do I'd have a place to elevate my leg.

If I didn't have health insurance it might have cost me a lot more, or I might have just chanced taking the economy flight home, the doctor said this would have been a bad idea as the elevation would have helped the blood flow to the wound.

Anyways it was nice to know everything was covered and for the sake of 80 euros a year everything was sorted out when it could have potentially been very expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Had you have had a drink before hand you possibly would have had a different experience as the claim would likely have been declined.

Advertisement