Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Polling station jobs and blood relations

• 14-10-2014 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

So I'm reading about all the drama with giving work to blood relations and it got me thinking.
    In Dublin, all polling station jobs seem to go to daughters of mothers who work for the council or boyfriends, family etc...

It doesn't seem fair.. nearly all the people in my constituency have a full time (well paid) job and then they take a 'sick day' or a days holidays to do the day...

Very unfair in my humble opinion as I though unemployed people were to be given preference for these jobs!

I get sick at the sight of our fat local retired bank manager who works these days every time it's election time.
    Him and his three children who all have full time jobs.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

This is Ireland, jobs go to who you know and not what you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You are either inside or outside the tent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

rustyzip wrote: »
    Very unfair in my humble opinion as I though unemployed people were to be given preference for these jobs!

They are. I worked on polls for about ten years. I got the job through a normal application proceedure. I gave it up there about three years ago. As it happens, I vote in the same centre as I had worked in. I got chatting to the new guy who worked on the booth I used to be on. He was unemployed, and had got the job through the new preferential selection proceedure. As, he told me, had all the new faces working on that election.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good shoulder chip all the same.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

endacl wrote: »
    They are. I worked on polls for about ten years. I got the job through a normal application proceedure. I gave it up there about three years ago. As it happens, I vote in the same centre as I had worked in. I got chatting to the new guy who worked on the booth I used to be one. He was unemployed, and had got the job through the new preferential selection proceedure. As, he told me, had all the new faces working on that election.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good shoulder chip all the same.

;)

Maybe it's just where I'm from so.
    It has been the same families running the show since I started voting at 18!

Have you applied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

This was discussed on George Hook programme on Newstalk prior to last election.

A caller, who was unemployed, said he'd love the opportunity to work in a polling station. He'd earn money, boost his morale and have something new on his CV. He said that teachers and their families were getting the jobs (in schools that they were teaching in but were closed for polling)

Paddyfield wrote: »
    This was discussed on George Hook programme on Newstalk prior to last election.

A caller, who was unemployed, said he'd love the opportunity to work in a polling station. He'd earn money, boost his morale and have something new on his CV. He said that teachers and their families were getting the jobs (in schools that they were teaching in but were closed for polling)
    People who held a post prior to the new guidelines being brought in are perfectly entitled to keep it. Nothing wrong with that. I gave up mine because I was no longer available. If I was available I'd still be doing it.

Are you saying that people should be arbitrarily dismissed from a job, just to make room for somebody that needs a job? I'm sure you're not. That would be ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Would the unemployed person not lose a days dole to do it? How much does it pay?

Would the unemployed person not lose a days dole to do it? How much does it pay?

More than a day's dole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Have you applied?

I applied when I was out of work and also two years I was in college.
    Didn't get it.
    I've been working now for a few years, full time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

You come out with 250 quid for 16 hours work. 100 of that taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

crannglas wrote: »
    You come out with 250 quid for 16 hours work. 100 of that taxed.

I,d be happy with that, not exactly hard work now is it.

No its just you have to apply the morning it goes up. They probably give two on welfare a job but the likes of presiding officer are hand picked with experience of other elections. I worked one election when unemployed. I was waiting for it to pop up on line. All four of us who worked that day, were unemployed, in carers allowance and presiding officer retired buisness man. Comfortable he was but not loaded. So hopefully you won't be unemployed for next elections, but if you are stuck in that position apply first thing when vacancy goes up.

farmerjj wrote: »

No its not. But its heck of long day. You have to be there for 530 in morning. I enjoyed it( luckily nice people with me) heard some horror stories about the click. You do have to be on ball with names addresses and numbers etc.. it was great money and saved me with my bills. Recommend any one to do it. Also looks good on CV.

No its not. But its heck of long day. You have to be there for 530 in morning. I enjoyed it( luckily nice people with me) heard some horror stories about the click. You do have to be on ball with names addresses and numbers etc.. it was great money and saved me with my bills. Recommend any one to do it. Also looks good on CV.

No its just you have to apply the morning it goes up. They probably give two on welfare a job but the likes of presiding officer are hand picked with experience of other elections. I worked one election when unemployed. I was waiting for it to pop up on line. All four of us who worked that day, were unemployed, in carers allowance and presiding officer retired buisness man. Comfortable he was but not loaded. So hopefully you won't be unemployed for next elections, but if you are stuck in that position apply first thing when vacancy goes up.

So good they said it twice :p what is with the double posts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

crannglas wrote: »

How would you go about applying?

Sorry I should confirm the 250 is after tax.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So I'm reading about all the drama with giving work to blood relations and it got me thinking.
    In Dublin, all polling station jobs seem to go to daughters of mothers who work for the council or boyfriends, family etc...

It doesn't seem fair.. nearly all the people in my constituency have a full time (well paid) job and then they take a 'sick day' or a days holidays to do the day...

I get sick at the sight of our fat local retired bank manager who works these days every time it's election time.
    Him and his three children who all have full time jobs.

Have you ever applied to do it?

• Advertisement

How would you go about applying?
    You Google returning officer( insert location you live) I.e returning officer south Dublin county council. And the application is on their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

People who held a post prior to the new guidelines being brought in are perfectly entitled to keep it. Nothing wrong with that. I gave up mine because I was no longer available. If I was available I'd still be doing it.

Are you saying that people should be arbitrarily dismissed from a job, just to make room for somebody that needs a job? I'm sure you're not. That would be ridiculous.

Jaysus, I'm not suggesting anything. I merely made reference to a radio programme I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've done a few counts and the polling station on the Eu elections.
    It's a long day. 15 hours without leaving the polling station and the count was 20 hours.
    I've no family involved and just applied for the position.
    They always give a percentage of posts to unemployed people but they also need some people who know what they're doing.

Advertisement