Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2015 - effect on property market

Options
  • 14-10-2014 3:01pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭

CGT exemption gone.

DIRT Exemption on those saving for a (up to 20% deposit).

Possible future penalties on hoarding zoned residential development land.

I think I agree with these things, could have gone further but overall could have been worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

CGT exemption gone.

DIRT Exemption on those saving for a (up to 20% deposit).

Possible future penalties on hoarding zoned residential development land.

I think I agree with these things, could have gone further but overall could have been worse.

The DIRT one is interesting. I wonder how they'll police it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Meathlass wrote: »
    The DIRT one is interesting. I wonder how they'll police it.

you usually need a solicitor to buy a house so I guess there will be some legal document to complete to get an exemption or refund (if already paid)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

you usually need a solicitor to buy a house so I guess there will be some legal document to complete to get an exemption or refund (if already paid)

yes, sorry complete brain meltdown here. I was thinking of people saving, saying it was for a house, not paying DIRT and then spending it on other things.

A refund system would make a lot more sense. Thank God I don't work in Revenue!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

How far back will you be able to claim do you reckon? have half of deposit saved but assume it will only apply to FY15 and on savings...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you forgot to mention home renovation scheme extended to landlords. Great to stop black market tradesmen doing work and also likely to improve the quality of some accomadation available to renters.

Also rent a room revenue increased to 12K bit strange really. Dont think there are too many rent a roomers taking in over 10k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,806 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

D3PO wrote: »
    Also rent a room revenue increased to 12K bit strange really. Dont think there are too many rent a roomers taking in over 10k

Owner rents out 2 rooms in big house....can now charge 500 euro per person per room as (before it would have been roughly 415 euro max)
    I know 2 of my friends who rent that are in an arrangements like this.

gmisk wrote: »
    Owner rents out 2 rooms in big house....can now charge 500 euro per person per room as (before it would have been roughly 415 euro max)
    I know 2 of my friends who rent that are in an arrangements like this.

yeah i guess on thinking about it your right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

you forgot to mention home renovation scheme extended to landlords. Great to stop black market tradesmen doing work and also likely to improve the quality of some accomadation available to renters.

Also rent a room revenue increased to 12K bit strange really. Don't think there are too many rent a roomers taking in over 10k

How does the landlords renovation work? Cant a landlord claim back the expenses via tax returns?

godtabh wrote: »
    How does the landlords renovation work? Cant a landlord claim back the expenses via tax returns?

not all renovations were previously tax deductable.

e.g if a LL wanted to put in double glazed windows instead of single glazed this would not have been tax deductable on their returns.

However this kind of thing would fall under the home renovation scheme

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

right. Not that it affects me but I didn't appreciate the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The FTB scheme may encourage some people to hold off, particularly if specific marketed fixed term accounts turn up. Hopefully takes a little heat out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

yeah i guess on thinking about it your right.

Bear in mind the rent a room limit includes all money from the lodger including bills

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Most FTB probably wont have lot saved plus interest rates are crap so DIRT is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dont forget property tax was reduced recently also. I think it will slow for early new year then as people realise it will be two years before new stock comes online prices will take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

crisco10 wrote: »
    How far back will you be able to claim do you reckon? have half of deposit saved but assume it will only apply to FY15 and on savings...

Four years apparently :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Is the DIRT rebate only for FTBs?

Edit. Read the above doc. Only ftbs

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Is the DIRT rebate only for FTBs?

Yes.

What is a first time purchaser for the purposes of this Scheme?
    A first time purchaser for the purposes of the scheme means a person who, at the time of the home
    purchase, has not, either individually or jointly with any other person or persons, previously purchased
    or previously built directly or indirectly on his or her own behalf, any other house or apartment.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

These four years are 2014 (from now), 2015, 2016 and 2017.

No backdating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

What if u have married couple buying where one is a ftb but other ones house was sold prior to marriage??

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

These four years are 2014 (from now), 2015, 2016 and 2017.

No backdating.

It says any DIRT paid in the previous 48 months before the date of the conveyancing..

Relief will apply to interest paid at any time in a period of 48 months ending on the date of
    the purchase of a home.
    The scheme will be in place from 14th
    October 2014 to the end of 2017.

That reads to me like if you make a claim on the 15th October you would take into account DIRT paid over the previous 48 months.

Otherwise the wording would have been something like "any DIRT paid after the 14th October up to a maximum of 48 months".

Also the fact that the mechanism for it is a manual claim to Revenue, supplying supporting documentation, would seem to suggest it applies from tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

spockety wrote: »
    It says any DIRT paid in the previous 48 months before the date of the conveyancing..
    That reads to me like if you make a claim on the 15th October you would take into account DIRT paid over the previous 48 months.

That was my reading of it as well.

If they were only counting DIRT on savings from midnight to 31 Dec 2017, it would not make sense to refer to 48 months, as there are only 3 years, 2.5 months between now and the end of the scheme. The inclusion of the Q&A about having signed contracts but not closed yet would suggest the same.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I stand corrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dont forget property tax was reduced recently also.

In a limited number of counties only (although pretty much all the ones where the market's gone nuts).

Some of the reductions - Laois's I think being the lowest - were as low as 1%!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Cant believe no one has mentioned the 2.2bn for social housing. This isn't just for new construction, it is also for purchasing existing units on the market. That makes the State a huge cash buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

MouseTail wrote: »
    Cant believe no one has mentioned the 2.2bn for social housing. This isn't just for new construction, it is also for purchasing existing units on the market. That makes the State a huge cash buyer.

I'd imagine they will be buying from NAMA, not sure where else they can buy existing stock. I can't see them bidding on a one by one basis of properties that come onto the market.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I'd imagine they will be buying from NAMA, not sure where else they can buy existing stock. I can't see them bidding on a one by one basis of properties that come onto the market.

certainly they will be buying from NAMA, but also historically they have bought one by one housing. It ensures integration and avoidance of ghetto type developments. I can see them being a big player in the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I can't get past the first word typo in that document.
    I simply cannot handle the lack of professionalism by civil servants :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Meh. Doing some calcs this morning we're due a refund of just over €1.2k. Better than a kick in the stones I suppose. A bit annoyed that I didn't hunt for slightly better savings rates over the last few years but that's price for avoiding what I deemed as unsafe banks at the time.

I think this measure is Noonan's acknowledgement that the new CB requirements will be implemented i.e. the 20% deposit requirement. It's a little help but not alot.

On the budget overall. It seems very little was done on the supply side. I mean even this measure is an attempt to stoke demand. Was he blindsided by the Central Bank and blurt this out because we know he's in the "high prices good" camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

On the budget overall. It seems very little was done on the supply side.

I'm not sure what they could have done on the supply side though. The govt becoming some kind of national property developer is something I wouldn't entertain. Cue the rise of the tenements.

Making building profitable is what's going to push supply. There will be a lag though. I just hope to god the planning authoritys have learnt some lessons in the last decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

pwurple wrote: »
    I'm not sure what they could have done on the supply side though. The govt becoming some kind of national property developer is something I wouldn't entertain. Cue the rise of the tenements.

You place a significant cost of ownership on unused zoned residential land in needed areas. At the moment it costs practically nothing to sit on land and in specific areas its pretty much the best investment you can currently make.

You will need a strong effort to remove corruption in our planning process, namely around local councillors.

Advertisement