Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I get an Android Box?

• 14-10-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

HI, Currently I am playing movies using apps on my phone and casting them to my tv or by downloading them and playing them through my media drive- doesn't take that long as have good BB
    I play my sports through an app on my phone and then connecting by HDMI to play through my TV though it does eat the battery a bit.
    I was just wondering is it worth getting an Android box was looking at Minix Neo X8-H- but was wondering would it be much better then what I am currently doing or worth the expense. I would mainly be using it for TV/Movies and sports.
    Any advise would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Yeah get a box its much better. Be sure to use it wired and not over wifi as the wifi antennas in the boxes are like a matchstick so streaming is unreliable even with 100MB broadband. If wired is awkward because the modem isnt beside the tv and a long network cable is awkward get homeplugs from argos or amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭blass

Yes, get a box. Always best to connect with Ethernet too. Which one depends on your budget. If you go for Android I always found the Minix range to be excellent. The one you mentioned sounds good. Otheriwse you can buy a pre-configured box from a site like www.Droidbox.co.uk which come with all apps and offer aftersale support ota and on their website.If you wanted splash out and get a HTPC you could consider a Prometheus HTPC http://www.smarttvbox.ie/component/jshopping/shop/prometheus.html?Itemid=0. Bit pricey but it works better than any Android box I ever had and has a great support community on the website/twitter etc. Comes pre-configured with Free HD Sports package for all English Premiership games etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jimosterberg

blass wrote: »
    Yes, get a box. Always best to connect with Ethernet too. Which one depends on your budget. If you go for Android I always found the Minix range to be excellent. The one you mentioned sounds good. Otheriwse you can buy a pre-configured box from a site like www.Droidbox.co.uk which come with all apps and offer aftersale support ota and on their website.If you wanted splash out and get a HTPC you could consider a Prometheus HTPC http://www.smarttvbox.ie/component/jshopping/shop/prometheus.html?Itemid=0. Bit pricey but it works better than any Android box I ever had and has a great support community on the website/twitter etc. Comes pre-configured with Free HD Sports package for all English Premiership games etc.

Is a box better than a laptop running xbmc, connected to your tv via hdmi? Obviously it would be neater but is there any reason the quality would be better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭blass

Is a box better than a laptop running xbmc, connected to your tv via hdmi? Obviously it would be neater but is there any reason the quality would be better?
    I think a laptop would be more powerful and possibly have better quality (depending on the box you compare it to) so go with that if you don't mind having to unplug it and detach it from your tv everytime you need to use it for non streaming activities. The box wins for convenience in that that it is a dedicated streaming device which does one job and can live beside your telly without having to be moved. I use this HTPC for streaming and it really is the best streaming device I ever had and I have had a a lot over the years. It's not android (has an intel chip) and it costs nearly EUR300 and it is amazing. Also comes with free Sportsaccess channel which shows all major sporting events including English Premier league matches. Also has every Movies and TV show you can imagine for free. I no longer have UPC TV package or Netflix.

Advertisement