Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Germany

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If Trap picked that team there would be a meltdown.

MoN isn't after a string of insipid defensive displays that cause dropped points...not yet anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'm going to guess this is a pragmatic approach - looking at the German backline, seeing a lot of them haven't played together as a 4 and assuming a "big man" in Walters could cause a bit of confusion amongst them. I suspect we'll be bypassing midfield as much as possible, getting it wide to McClean and McGeady, or else long ball to Walters, with the two wingers running on the for the knockdowns.

Keane just sitting up there to poach whatever the three mentioned above can give him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Are people really surprised that Hoolahan isn't starting? I never, ever thought he was going to start. Not away to Germany.

Team is interesting though, I wonder where Walters will play exactly. Quinn is a much better digger in there than Gibson, that's a good choice definitely.

Que sera sera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'll be very disappointed if we don't give them a rattle. Come on Ireland!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

irish son wrote: »
    Can't believe he hasn't started Long, what was the idea of bringing on Doyle and Murphy instead of him on Saturday, seems like Long is getting a rough deal again from an Irish manager.

We won't get too many chances vs the Germans. I would rather the chances fell to Robbie rather than Long. I agree he should be ahead of Murphy and Doyle though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sorry if its all ready been said, but Ireland are going to get Mullered tonight.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Boskowski wrote: »
    Well the term world class is being a bit abused these days but I'd have Goetze possibly there too. (Almost forgot about Neuer, too)
    I was talking about outfield players and though Goetze is a very good player he also happens to be massively overrated at the same time, probably because he came through from Dortmund.
    baz2009 wrote: »
    Harsh on Hummels!
    Great player alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

That starting 11 will come away with nothing tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

We won't get too many chances vs the Germans. I would rather the chances fell to Robbie rather than Long. I agree he should be ahead of Murphy and Doyle though.

I'd rather Long started for tonight's game, we are going to have very little possession so Long would be a better outlet upfront to win long balls, hold the ball up and chase defenders plus his pace would be ideal against Germany's high defensive line. I think these outweigh Keane's better finishing for a game like this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

c'mon ireland , please hammer them back to berlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lads Alan Hutton played well against these jokers. We're going to give them an absolute bumming tonight. Loew is going to be found out by Martin O'Neill and Ebola will be the new SARS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

How does Wes not start this game after his performance against Gibralter.

Well he can barely make the Norwich team in the championship so I'm not surprised.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Of all times to be missing Coleman and McCarthy :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Disappointing team. Not that we had a massive chance of winning but I'd have loved to go at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The overhyping of Holo is ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Call me a mad man,but i wouldnt mind seeing stokes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Anyone else not able to find the game on RTE player?

irish son wrote: »
    I'd rather Long started for tonight's game, we are going to have very little possession so Long would be a better outlet upfront to win long balls, hold the ball up and chase defenders plus his pace would be ideal against Germany's high defensive line. I think these outweigh Keane's better finishing for a game like this.

Cool so he can win long balls, hold it up and then blast it over the bar. I'm glad Robbie is playing, he doesn't need many chances to score. Walters can do the hold up ball, win aerial duels thing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bertser wrote: »
    Of all times to be missing Coleman and McCarthy :(

Massive loses.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

The RTE lads treating Darragh Maloney as a novice tonight, like they think they are giving him a lesson in football

Maloney asks Brady who are the championship players in our first XI, Brady responds "Meyler".

Maloney is the only one to point out Meyler is a premiership player, and Dunphy is about to "correct" Darragh for questioning Liam, only for Brady to concede he is wrong.

Absolute clowns.

Running clips of Hoolahan ripping Gibraltar to bits now, talking him up as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I think some people are over rating Long, Walters for me is a poor choice.

Whatever about the team selection, I just hope they are told to go for it, if we do I think there is the chance of a point.

If we play for the point from the outset, I can't see it going too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I fear for our defence going against a strong Germany attack, especially John O' Shea.

I think some people are over rating Long, Walters for me is a poor choice.

Whatever about the team selection, I just hope they are told to go for it, if we do I think there is the chance of a point.

If we play for the point from the outset, I can't see it going too well.

Long has never adapted his finishing attributes with the other aspects of his play.His game is good,but the final play piece is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

With all the talk of Ward being the (biggest) weak link, who's the Irish Internet soccer community's choice to be there instead of him, or is there one?

briany wrote: »
    With all the talk of Ward being the (biggest) weak link, who's the Irish Internet soccer community's choice to be there instead of him, or is there one?

Wilson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I'd really wish I was optimistic as some on here....

...Come on Ireland, prove me wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Whether it's 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 with McGeady in behind Keane, it's a ****ing joke of a formation. We're gonna get completely over run in all aspects of the game. Hopefully a very poor Germany performance will happen, as it's our only chance in even getting close in this game. Back into the days of Trap regarding the big games.

EDIT: The scoreline will probably be close but the gameplay won't be. O'Neill has bottled it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ian Bermingham

Seven Worlds will Collide

i'd say with a search a decent replacement could be found. But in all honesty,i wouldn't mark him as our biggest weak link.

After all,we used to play McShane and Andy Keogh.That's scraping the barrell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Walters to play right wing, McGeady to have a free role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

monkey9 wrote: »
    I fear for our defence going against a strong Germany attack, especially John O' Shea.

Steven Ward tbh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Walters to play right wing, McGeady to have a free role.

Still have no pace to go over the top. The main weakness of the German defence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Germany have so many missing but still should be strong enough to win. Not happy with the Ireland team but COYBIG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Can't see Ireland getting a sniff tonight simply because Germany don't lose two games in a row.

Can somebody please let me know when Wes Hoolahan became a world beater?
    What Champion's League team does he play for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The German attack will have it easy against our defence. We will do well to lose 2 nil. Not getting good vibes about this. Hope i'm 100% wrong.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Can't see Ireland getting a sniff tonight simply because Germany don't lose two games in a row.

What champions league team does any of our players play for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭forgotten password

c'mon ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

"I don't think Hummels is a good defender" - absolutely fecking priceless Gilesy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Did John Giles just say Hummels isn't a good defender?....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Giles 'I don't think Hummels is a good defender'. Lols

murpho999 wrote: »

I think he is being talked up in comparison to the other players in the irish squad. Let's face it, he is our best midfielder and appears different to the other irish players ie comfortable in and keeping possession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Cillian Sheridan plays for APOEL :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The one thing I didn't want to see was Keane up front by himself. Great goalscorer but no pace and no physical presence. Could not be less suited to playing the lone striker role.

Long is not the best finisher but at least he could run the channels and keep the German defenders occupied.

Just seeing Henry sitting beside Richard Dunne in Paris and i want to punch him in the face all over again. Complete twat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Honest professional. Have a good game tonight John please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Peist2007 wrote: »
    I think he is being talked up in comparison to the other players in the irish squad. Let's face it, he is our best midfielder and appears different to the other irish players ie comfortable in and keeping possession

The point is he plays in the Championship. If he was that good a Premiership team would have snapped him up when Norwich were relegated.

The Gibraltar game is not a good example as even I would have looked good against them.
    I would agree though that his non selection shows a negative approach from O'Neill which is not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I'd be delighted with a draw tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Not confident at all about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

Do you think Dunphy would have a heart attack if someone told him Hoolihan wasn't Zidane, Best and Messi all rolled into one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

That's a terrible attempt at our national anthem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement