Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Germany

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

brevity wrote: »
    Same here. I'm not actually sure where it came from :confused:

I jumped up and spilled my beer all over myself.

That's not like me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Proco Jr. wrote: »
    Trap with a Derry accent did well in the end with his subs.

He was just correcting his mistakes from his starting line up.. imo

Sure why didnt he start with gibson and hoolihan and get them to defend..

Wouldn't have done any worse than Quinn and McGeady?! there's no way anyone can justify where McGeady was playing for most of the match? what was the purpose of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Seeng the goal calmly now makes me see how well Hendrick did with his pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Let's not lose the run of ourselves here lads...

Fantastic result with last minute drama, but for the majority of the game we were crap - ye were all agreeing with Dunphy's Trap comparison at half time.

We started to play the game in the last 15/20 and JOS had a moment of pure magic, but that doesn't mean there's a lot to learn from this match.

The trap comparison would still be correct

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I seen umpteen positive passes on on a number of occasions but rather than attempt them we went back to keeper and punted it long.

Thats fairly obvious.

Thing is if we concede I can actually see us trying to play

This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fudge You wrote: »
    But you were a negative person, like everyone else before we got a goal.
    I was? I said all through that our defensive approach was the most likely to keep us in the game, and had said I was delighted that it was 0-0 at 30, 45 and 60 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/DFB_Team_EN/status/522126069613490176

The official English twitter account of the German football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

After 3 sets of matches Ireland are 3 points ahead of world champions Germany having played Germany away from home :)

Wow. Go sportsteam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No, what got us the result was playing the right players in the correct positions against a weakened German side in the last 20 mins. If only we had have set up with a bit more confindance in the first 70. A long range shot ended up getting the Germans the lead but if we actually went at them we could have won this game.

We also could have lost it a lot earlier. It's the modern cliche to say 'go at them' in football, but I would certainly reckon it fails a lot, lot more times than it succeeds. The fact is the successes are always highlighted. We could have held onto the ball tonight a good bit better but if we'd taken them on we'd have lost.

What got us the result was some late dogged scrambling. It certainly wasn't the positions, it was John O'Shea scoring from 6 yards that got the goal ffs! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭crushproof

Ha, John O'Shea trending in Germany on Twitter!

By jaysus a great finish to the game, haven't cheered that much at an Irish goal in a long time. Ignoring the lads in the studio, no chance we could have taken ze Germans attacking from the go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Be some craic if they had Martin talking to the lads in the studio like they do with the managers on MNF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    No, what got us the result was playing the right players in the correct positions against a weakened German side in the last 20 mins. If only we had have set up with a bit more confindance in the first 70. A long range shot ended up getting the Germans the lead but if we actually went at them we could have won this game.

I don't know, maybe you could have, maybe you would have lost because we couldn't deal with the bus, but might have done better in more open space. Hard to say. Looking at how bad ye were for long stretches, even just in the mind, no confidence to demand a ball and make some space its hard to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

ye were all agreeing with Dunphy's Trap comparison at half time.

I didn't honestly understand that. Germany had plenty of ball but did **** all with it - even in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Fantastic result with last minute drama, but for the majority of the game we were crap - ye were all agreeing with Dunphy's Trap comparison at half time.

We started to play the game in the last 15/20 and JOS had a moment of pure magic, but that doesn't mean there's a lot to learn from this match.

I think we can learn not to play McGeady out of position, other than that I'd agree.

I did a lot of moaning, I wasn't moaning about the system, I just think we can play that system better.

Fantastic result, I don't care now how we got it, it's done

Massive game next, can't wait.

But you were a negative person, like everyone else before we got a goal.

most of us were negative because the players who started the game were negative...tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Boskowski wrote: »
    I don't know, maybe you could have, maybe you would have lost because we couldn't deal with the bus, but might have done better in more open space. Hard to say. Looking at how bad ye were for long stretches, even just in the mind, no confidence to demand a ball and make some space its hard to see that.

Ye were pretty bad for most of the match to be honest, considering ye were at home. Long range shot in the first half being the best chance and only about 2 proper chances for the rest of the match. 1 moment of not closing down was only reason Germany scored, I didn't think Ireland were under much relentless pressure at all to be honest, Germany just had lots of possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

We were outclassed but our spirit can not be questioned and for that alone we deserved the point. Germany didn't cut us open much either if we are being honest, so it was a disciplined performance. Great to nick the point like that.

Dunphy and company are embarrassing at this stage. That was a limited team out there playing away to the World Champions, we were always going to set up like that. Coleman, Gibson and McCarthy will improve that team if they start next time out.

Billy86 wrote: »
    At this point in time, I genuinely reckon half the posters in this thread know more about modern football than Giles. Let's not forget he was happy with the starting lineup... because he thought it looked very attacking.

Eh did he not say he wasnt sure about the line up?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Agreed Kasier 100%.

Everyone is on the jolly now. But after Georgia and 91mins against Germany a lot of people on here were negative. And they never stopped abusing irish players.
    This thread is a joke.

Sing when your winning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Jesus some buzzkillers in here. Yes we were Shiite most of the match.but ended up getting a draw. Lots to be debated.
    But still

Come on you boys in green ×5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Was Trap, or even Stan for that matter getting this much grief from the panel after the first 3 matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Thought Hendrix was mighty when he came in

Dempsey wrote: »

Trap out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Bz758q8IQAIlwm_.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The heart is back in the team though. It was soul destroying watching them under trap near the end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Great attitude shown by MON. Went for it without being worried about losing 3/4-0 just to have the chance to get something.

Refreshing to grab a point at the death instead of p!ssing them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

This result had the added bonus of Dunphy making an ass out of himself. Brilliant :D

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Thought Hendrix was mighty when he came in

Not afraid of the ball. We need more of that.

I didn't honestly understand that. Germany had plenty of ball but did **** all with it - even in the first half.

Hit the bar, and kept Forde busy. Wouldnt say did fck all with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Called it in my op. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So happy for Josh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Are tactics are like that of Donegal in the Gaelic Football, we played a blanket defence against the Germans and it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Who is this John O'Shea bloke and where did that finish come out of? :pac: Is he any relation to the John O'Shea I watch every week? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Just to put it in perspective, Ireland finished the game with 4 Championship players and 4 Prem players who've had less than 150 mins each on the pitch this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

20szsqu.jpg

:pac:

Called it in my op. :P

I was at that match in Japan. 12 years ago now. I was 17.

What a final 2/3 minutes. Absolute mayhem in the stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Corholio wrote: »
    Ye were pretty bad for most of the match to be honest, considering ye were at home. Long range shot in the first half being the best chance and only about 2 proper chances for the rest of the match. 1 moment of not closing down was only reason Germany scored, I didn't think Ireland were under much relentless pressure at all to be honest, Germany just had lost of possession.

Well its hard to play a bus for anyone. I agree we weren't convincing but what typically happens is that you keep at it and eventually get your goal and thats what happened. Where we really went wrong was how we let you in towards the end trying to sit on that 1 nil , we opened the door for you. Thats should never have happened. How you can say were pretty bad for most of the match I don't understand. If were pretty bad for most of the match what does that make ye for most of the match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I'm close to tears now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Dempsey wrote: »

The massive, massive, MASSIVE difference to Trap is O'Neill learned from the first 60 minutes and made changes. I still don't agree with some of the things he did but MON deserves a lot of credit.

• Advertisement

Hit the bar, and kept Forde busy. Wouldnt say did fck all with it

I don't think any of the saves Forde made were overly brilliant. Most were pretty straight forward. Germany lacked a killer pass for all the possession.

hadepsx wrote: »
    Jesus some buzzkillers in here. Yes we were Shiite most of the match.but ended up getting a draw. Lots to be debated.
    But still

Come on you boys in green ×5

Sing when you are winning, (or drawing)...
    The abuse McGeady, Whelan, Ward, Wilson, Keane, Walters got all game was awful...
    But now, no one has said how bad/awful/shte they were.

Proco Jr. wrote: »

cant connect to that Germany twitter page.. must be getting hammered!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Lol at some posters. Were we not allowed be negative at HT? Up until the last 5 minutes we were poison. We didn't deserve a point, but obviously we're gonna cheer if we win.

We drew, it's fantastic. That doesn't take away how bad the team was and how MON picked a bad line up.

We got lucky, we'll take it and march on.

Are we only allowed celebrate if we can't criticize the team? Cop on.

Mcgeady in the hole? Sh!te. Walters out right? Sh!te

McClean was our best player, defense did quite well. A long way to go, but it's advantage us in the group I would say.

Edit: Woopsie :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Just in from work. Caught the goal in the pub. Have they shown John o Shea's post match victory handjob from Angela Merkel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Germany were made to look somewhat more assured than they really are at this time because of an incredibly timid Irish performance that lasted 70 minutes. The group is looking pretty crazy at this point in time with Germany in 4th place and Ireland/Poland joint top. The Scots will be looking for, needing, a win against Ireland in November. There's no reason Ireland should be going to Glasgow with any fear or trying to hang on for a point. It's incredible what a bit of belief and a bit of urgency can do for you.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Well its hard to play a bus for anyone. I agree we weren't convincing but what typically happens is that you keep at it and eventually get your goal and thats what happened. Where we really went wrong was how we let you in towards the end trying to sit on that 1 nil , we opened the door for you. Thats should never have happened. How you can say were pretty bad for most of the match I don't understand. If were pretty bad for most of the match what does that make ye for most of the match?

You're beginning to sicken my stones.

We're ranked 61st in the World. We had 4 players from the Championship and 4 premier league plaers who don't feature for thier clubs on at the end. I think yee have far far more problems than we have.

• Taking points above onboard^^, I still believe that with a lot less of forde hoofing the ball forward we wouldn't have invited such undue pressure on ourselfs as we did. Germany looked lost as they did against Poland to carve open a defence. Its risk and reward, but when we actually attacked Germany they looked very vulnerable. Crucial tonight was the Poland and Scotland result.
    To top off tonight I got John O Shea to score any time at 20\1 :)

Scotland v Ireland is going to be unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

So full time, 1-1 to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Sing when you are winning, (or drawing)...
    The abuse McGeady, Whelan, Ward, Wilson, Keane, Walters got all game was awful...
    But now, no one has said how bad/awful/shte they were.

I just did :pac:

Advertisement