Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Germany

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Let's not lose the run of ourselves here lads...

Fantastic result with last minute drama, but for the majority of the game we were crap - ye were all agreeing with Dunphy's Trap comparison at half time.

We started to play the game in the last 15/20 and JOS had a moment of pure magic, but that doesn't mean there's a lot to learn from this match.

Was the best irish goal i've seen for a long time, just drew with the world champions, we're second on GD, that was never expected after 3 games. Yes theres alot to do, but I think we can be happy enough with that for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mada999 wrote: »
    most of us were negative because the players who started the game were negative...tbh
    You were negative and clueless really. You stated that they only had 3 of their World Cup squad and when I pointed out that six of them were playing you came back asking if they were regulars!?!?

Fyi five of them were regulars and Gotze. who is the one that came on and scored the goal that won the World Cup, was the only one that wasn't. He was signed twelve months ago by Bayern Munich for €37 million.

Draxler who was playing tonight and wasn't a regular at the World Cup, but did play, is wanted by a host of top clubs and is valued somewhere around €30 million.

This was a top quality side we played against tonight. We went there for a draw, when they scored and set up in a more careful formation we changed our formation and got the draw. Forde kept us in it with some great saves after we changed our formation. If we started with that formation tonight we would have been beaten off the park.

Tactics were right from the start tonight and right after we conceded a goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

We won, it's fantastic.

Hey dont get carried away ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Taking points above onboard^^, I still believe that with a lot less of forde hoofing the ball forward we wouldn't have invited such undue pressure on ourselfs as we did. Germany looked lost as they did against Poland to carve open a defence. Its risk and reward, but when we actually attacked Germany they looked very vulnerable. Crucial tonight was the Poland and Scotland result.
    To top off tonight I got John O Shea to score any time at 20\1 :)

Scotland v Ireland is going to be unreal.
    Proof, or it didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Positives.... great work rate, great spirit and for the last 20 minutes we showed we can play when players are in their right positions and some of our more skillful players like Holohan are on the pitch not the bench and well done to the 3,000 Irish fans over in Germany who never gave up on the Team.
    Negatives.... too much hoofing, too much sloppy passing and players out of position
    Overall we are in joint top and all teams in this group will take points off each other, Germany will get over their World Cup hangover and win the Group we have a real chance of second if we play like we did in last 20 minutes.
    Man of the Match had to be Galway man David Forde.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

but obviously we're gonna cheer if we win.

We won, it's fantastic.

How much did you drink tonight???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Thought Hendrix was mighty when he came in

At least he knows what a forward pass is unlike Glenn Whelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Boskowski wrote: »
    Well its hard to play a bus for anyone. I agree we weren't convincing but what typically happens is that you keep at it and eventually get your goal and thats what happened. Where we really went wrong was how we let you in towards the end trying to sit on that 1 nil , we opened the door for you. Thats should never have happened. How you can say were pretty bad for most of the match I don't understand. If were pretty bad for most of the match what does that make ye for most of the match?

All that talent playing at home against the likes of Walters, Quinn, Whelan, Warde, Forde ( I could go on ). You were poor, especially when you consider the Poland game should have given you a rocket up the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭LordAwesome

English broadcasters far more positive about Ireland than then Irish ones...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Forde was my MOTM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

To top off tonight I got John O Shea to score any time at 20\1 :)

I'm going to second the request here to see a screenshot, just good etiquette when aftertiming

You're beginning to sicken my stones.

We're ranked 61st in the World. We had 4 players from the Championship and 4 premier league plaers who don't feature for thier clubs on at the end. I think yee have far far more problems than we have.

Relax dude. I'm supporting the other team. I think I'm allowed a different view point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

James McClean looks like a proud school kid picking up a community games medal.

Delighted for the lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Hey dont get carried away ;)
    Fudge You wrote: »
    How much did you drink tonight???

Shhhh nobody else saw:P Feels like we won!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I wonder if Joxer was present in Gelsinkirchen tonight? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Taking points above onboard^^, I still believe that with a lot less of forde hoofing the ball forward we wouldn't have invited such undue pressure on ourselfs as we did.

if Forde had of kicked it short for most of the match it would have been passed straight back to him and then hoofed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Hopefully this team will get some self belief out of this.

And play the players who can actually play.

play

Relax dude. I'm supporting the other team. I think I'm allowed a different view point.

No, you are not.
    Get out of here ya pup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Fudge You wrote: »
    Agreed Kasier 100%.

Everyone is on the jolly now. But after Georgia and 91mins against Germany a lot of people on here were negative. And they never stopped abusing irish players.
    This thread is a joke.

Sing when your winning!
    The thing is, we are not a massively talented team - and some seem to want us to play as if we are on par with Germany and could bring the game to them over 90 minutes (whereas we caught them defending a lead - our one half decent chance before their goal resulted in Podolski almost scoring right after). We are not a bad team either, but are at best just about on par with Scotland and Poland in terms of talent. We can qualify ahead of them, but trying to squeeze one point out of the game today was a much better approach than trying to take all three, which in my opinion would have had us 3 goals down in the last 15 minutes, not 1.

Overall very happy with how MON approached this game. I hope we don't play like that again for any of the qualifiers, but let's face it, we were away to the top team in the world who beat us 3-0 in Germany exactly one year ago, and 6-1 in the Aviva exactly one year before that. All we could do was keep ourselves in the game for as long as possible, and we did exactly that.

I hate the rubbish the pundits come up with. Talking about how we should have played like we did in the last twenty minutes for the whole game. We would have got murdered if we tried that, it was only when Germany got their goal and set up in a more careful formation that we could try playing like we did at the end of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I was at that match in Japan. 12 years ago now. I was 17.

What a final 2/3 minutes. Absolute mayhem in the stands.

It doesn't feel like 12 years ago. It was the last time we had a real quality team. Unlucky to go out on pens to Spain. South Korea in the semis. We could have actually won it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It used to be that RTE were firm but fair there now just uneducated on the modern game and spiteful

John said at the start of the game 'we know very little about these German players', like really just because you and a Eamon are out if touch doesn't mean the rest of us are

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I wonder if Joxer was present in Gelsinkirchen tonight? :D

At least there was no freaky goal this time

Funking Wim Kieft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cos it's "ze Germans"

Like I said, all credit to the team for stepping up in the last quarter and it was a fantastic goal no doubt about it!

I'm just saying that we shouldn't forget what we were rightly critical of earlier amidst the celebrations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Lapin wrote: »
    Forde was my MOTM.

Why? He didn't pull off any great saves and actually made quite a few cock ups that nearly cost us big time. All he did right was a lot of big kicks up the field

If I ever saw a match where no team should be awarded a point this was it. Congrats anyway.

It doesn't feel like 12 years ago. It was the last time we had a real quality team. Unlucky to go out on pens to Spain. South Korea in the semis. We could have actually won it. :pac:

I was only out for the first 3 games. Was home for Spain game and watched in on TV in Ireland.

An Epic 20 days in Japan, stayed in Yokohama.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Why? He didn't pull off any great saves and actually made quite a few cock ups that nearly cost us big time. All he did right was a lot of big kicks up the field
    I think you need to watch the game again.

How football men don't understand that we 'll approach a game against Scotland very differently than a game against German is beyond me.

Utter garbage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Loved Dunphy's passionate speech there a minute ago.

If I ever saw a match where no team should be awarded a point this was it. Congrats anyway.

"deutschland deutschland über alles" said David Drumm.

That's harsh you's did deserve it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

eagle eye wrote: »
    You were negative and clueless really. You stated that they only had 3 of their World Cup squad and when I pointed out that six of them were playing you came back asking if they were regulars!?!?

Fyi five of them were regulars and Gotze. who is the one that came on and scored the goal that won the World Cup, was the only one that wasn't. He was signed twelve months ago by Bayern Munich for €37 million.

Draxler who was playing tonight is wanted by a host of top clubs and is valued somewhere around €30 million.

This was a top quality side we played against tonight. We went there for a draw, when they scored and set up in a more careful formation we changed our formation and got the draw. Forde kept us in it with some great saves after we changed our formation. If we started with that formation tonight we would have been beaten off the park.

Tactics were right. The personnel wasn't. We just can't afford to carry Robbie Keane in these games any more. He needs to be kept on the bench for the last 20. He was so ineffective in that lone man role, and we were basically playing with ten for the majority, as he wasn't helping with the defending and bar one touch, I don't think he offered anything going forward.

Walters also isn't good enough. Long is a much better option up front. Putting Hoolahan in the hole and McGeady out wide gives us natural width and a better chance of actually retaining the football. Furthermore, Hendrick and Gibson's 25 minute contribution was much better than Quinn and Whelan's 65 minute contribution.

My front 6 for the game against Scotland would be:

Hendrick---Gibson
    McGeady
    McClean
    Hoolahan

Long

Keane being kept for the last 30 minutes, as then his mental quickness would be a big asset to the tiring Scotland defenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

adamski8 wrote: »

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

eagle eye wrote: »

Draxler who was playing tonight and wasn't a regular at the World Cup, but did play, is wanted by a host of top clubs and is valued somewhere around €30 million.

so they had less than half of the team of tonight that won the world cup? then they were a step below were they were then..still a quality team but not half as good as the team that won the world cup.. a reason to give some heart. Did Gotze look tonight like he's worth €37m, no....draxler was poor enough... they didnt really have any clear cut chances tbh.. and yes that was down to the tactics...but not the personnel from the start were not right imo

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    The thing is, we are not a massively talented team - and some seem to want us to play as if we are on par with Germany and could bring the game to them over 90 minutes

Sure thats what I said all night.
    I was getting in a p1sser when people on here were expecting us to be passing it around no bother against germany. The abuse for most of the irish players got on here for 91mins was awful, no need for it.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Tactics were right. The personnel wasn't. We just can't afford to carry Robbie Keane in these games any more. He needs to be kept on the bench for the last 20. He was so ineffective in that lone man role, and we were basically playing with ten for the majority, as he wasn't helping with the defending and bar one touch, I don't think he offered anything going forward.

Walters also isn't good enough. Long is a much better option up front. Putting Hoolahan in the hole and McGeady out wide gives us natural width and a better chance of actually retaining the football. Furthermore, Hendrick and Gibson's 25 minute contribution was much better than Quinn and Whelan's 65 minute contribution.

Hendrick---Gibson
    McGeady
    McClean
    Hoolahan

Long

Keane being kept for the last 30 minutes, as then his mental quickness would be a big asset to the tiring Scotland defenders.

McCarthy for Hendrick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

:pac:

Soups123 wrote: »
    That's harsh you's did deserve it

I disagree, the way we let ye in towards the end after being that much in control over the game to this point was amateurish and Loew will get a bit of criticism over that.

Having said that in a way I'm delighted cos the Poland result was very bad for you and I do want to see Ireland go to the Euros, too. And I'd say we'll turn it around anyway, its a long campaign still and we'll have players back. What I'm saying is that Ireland needed that point more than we did and Ireland are my second team after all.

Why have RTE show our goal only twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

SantryRed wrote: »

Hendrick---Gibson
    McGeady
    McClean
    Hoolahan

Long

Hopefully Coleman and McCarthy will be back for the Scotland game as well.

Massive games coming up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

McCarthy for Hendrick

Thought he wouldn't make it but if he's there then for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Why have RTE show our goal only twice.

http://gfycat.com/VelvetyAlienatedCaribou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Only a matter of time until someone posts the obligatory Hitler Downfall video :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Lads Alan Hutton played well against these jokers. We're going to give them an absolute bumming tonight. Loew is going to be found out by Martin O'Neill and Ebola will be the new SARS.
    Never in doubt

That wasn't even his best goal either. Remember when clinical finisher John O'Shea did this?

David Forde and Hendrick are sadly going to be overlooked for credit by Hoolahan and Gibson but fair ****s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Thought Hendrix was mighty when he came in
    good guitar player in fairness :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

mada999 wrote: »
    so they had less than half of the team of tonight that won the world cup? then they were a step below were they were then..still a quality team but not half as good as the team that won the world cup.. a reason to give some heart. Did Gotze look tonight like he's worth €37m, no....draxler was poor enough... they didnt really have any clear cut chances tbh.. and yes that was down to the tactics...but not the personnel from the start were not right imo

The German side tonight was rubbish. Yeah they won the World Cup a few months back, but tonight they were there for the taking, I think we really could have beaten them.

O Neill has always been a cautious and fairly direct playing manager has he not?

He's similar to Trap but tbh if he gets similar results who cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Conas wrote: »
    The German side tonight was rubbish. Yeah they won the World Cup a few months back, but tonight they were there for the taking, I think we really could have beaten them.

Yeah, they'll be struggling against Gibraltar at this rate I reckon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement