Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Germany

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Budget 2014 and the Germany v Ireland result.

Angela's going to be very pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

If we learned anything today it's that Whelan should never start in midfield again. We have far better quality than him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Conas wrote: »
    The German side tonight was rubbish. Yeah they won the World Cup a few months back, but tonight they were there for the taking, I think we really could have beaten them.

Correct. The Germans were fooking awful in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Budget 2015 and the Germany v Ireland result.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Only a matter of time until someone posts the obligatory Hitler Downfall video :)

None done yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Well the token German is out before that ^^^^^ happens. Good night good luck and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Correct. The Germans were fooking awful in my opinion.

You will see a totally different team when Schweinsteiger, Khedira and Reus are back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

rarnes1 wrote: »
    O Neill has always been a cautious and fairly direct playing manager has he not?

He's similar to Trap but tbh if he gets similar results who cares.

That's what mystifies me about people who were excited when we got him and are upset with how the last two games have been played. It's as if they never once watched the Leicester, Celtic and Villa teams he was in charge of. A bit more direct and attacking than Trappatoni but not much - he is far more likely to go for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th goal if they are there though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

kfallon wrote: »
    You will see a totally different team when Schweinsteiger, Khedira and Reus are back!

I agree. I believe i have seen them play those lads before

• Advertisement

Haha, We Can Be Heroes in German! Brilliant. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

kfallon wrote: »

we'll see a different team when Coleman and McCarthy are back as well

• Nib wrote: »
    Proof, or it didn't happen.
    8-10 wrote: »
    I'm going to second the request here to see a screenshot, just good etiquette when aftertiming

Even better I actually got O Shea @ 34/1
    lol and 1-1 to boot

Small bets big wins baby...how do you like them apples?? :p:p:p

qE6Iml4.jpg

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's what mystifies me about people who were excited when we got him and are upset with how the last two games have been played. It's as if they never once watched the Leicester, Celtic and Villa teams he was in charge of. A bit more direct and attacking than Trappatoni but not much - he is far more likely to go for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th goal if they are there though.

He's just a younger, not as good version of Trap. International football is results only as far as I'm concerned. That point has really opened up the group and Ireland's lack of attacking pre 70 mins will be forgotten about if we qualify

mada999 wrote: »
    we'll see a different team when Coleman and McCarthy are back as well

No doubt but I was only addressing the post that said Germany were awful!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

when he does it,he does it with style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Walters played well when he went up front. Against Scotland Id start him up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    lol and 1-1 to boot

qE6Iml4.jpg
    Well done, moneybags. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SantryRed wrote: »
    Tactics were right. The personnel wasn't. We just can't afford to carry Robbie Keane in these games any more. He needs to be kept on the bench for the last 20. He was so ineffective in that lone man role, and we were basically playing with ten for the majority, as he wasn't helping with the defending and bar one touch, I don't think he offered anything going forward.

Walters also isn't good enough. Long is a much better option up front. Putting Hoolahan in the hole and McGeady out wide gives us natural width and a better chance of actually retaining the football. Furthermore, Hendrick and Gibson's 25 minute contribution was much better than Quinn and Whelan's 65 minute contribution.

My front 6 for the game against Scotland would be:

Hendrick---Gibson
    McGeady
    McClean
    Hoolahan

Long

Keane being kept for the last 30 minutes, as then his mental quickness would be a big asset to the tiring Scotland defenders.
    James McCarthy will surely be back for the Scotland game and he is the first name on the team sheet imo. Its difficult to know whether Hendrick or Gibson should be dropped. Hendrick has done really well but McCarthy and Gibson know each other very well at club level so they might work really well together. Deffo can't see Glen Whelan starting in that game.

lol and 1-1 to boot

qE6Iml4.jpg

You got him at 33/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The Rte lads doing the business as usual by the sounds of things.

The reality that we would more then likely have been murdered if we went out and tried to outplay Germany doesn't come in to it of course. The hilarity is magnified when you imagine the amount of criticism the manager would have received if we had in fact gone out to try to outplay them and got murdered for not understanding the limitations of his team/the class of the opposition/"this is the world champions Bill! In their own back yard! You have to be more defensively astute, you want to sit back and frustrate for 60-70 minutes then you try and have a go"

Some things never change I suppose :)

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    James McCarthy will surely be back for the Scotland game and he is the first name on the team sheet imo. Its difficult to know whether Hendrick or Gibson should be dropped. Hendrick has done really well but McCarthy and Gibson know each other very well at club level so they might work really well together. Deffo can't see Glen Whelan starting in that game.

in fairness glen whealan should've never been shown the entrance onto the pitch in an ireland shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Budget 2014 and the Germany v Ireland result.

Thats a silly statement.
    What did Angela Merkel ever do to Ireland???
    I dont understand how she gets blamed for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I haven't celebrated an Irish goal in my living room like that for a long long long time.

Nearly woke the 18 month old and got a scolding from herself.

Worth it.

Brilliant result. Great to see the pride back in the Green jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

3 games in, Georgia and Germany away ticked off and 7 pts. Can't ask for more than that.

If we could get a result in Scotland we are well set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'd start McCarthy over Hendrick. Jeff was a little bit naive when coming on with some of his runs, but it was great to see him not being afraid to get on the ball against the World Champions. He will have established himself as a regular first teamer for Ireland by the end of this campaign imo. And if not, by the time the 2018 WC Qualifiers come around.

• Nice to see the soccer forum come together for once. Results like this make this forum great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Nice to see the soccer forum come together for once. Results like this make this forum great.

You shut your god damn mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

I haven't celebrated an Irish goal in my living room like that for a long long long time.

Worth it.

I was told, "You sound like you have tourettes, shut up"

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    You shut your god damn mouth!

brendan rodgers is the best manager in europe.

that should get the ball rolling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I'm pretty sure wearing my Ireland World Cup 2002 jersey may have been the crucial factor in tonights performance.

Just don't call me a hero.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As good as Hendrick was, he did give the ball away unnecessarily at times. Gibson has a bit more experience so I'd go with him alongside McCarthy.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I'm pretty sure wearing my Ireland World Cup 2002 jersey may have been the crucial factor in tonights performance.

jesus 2002...thats 12 years ago,12 feckin years! how did that happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Fudge You wrote: »
    Thats a silly statement.
    What did Angela Merkel ever do to Ireland???
    I dont understand how she gets blamed for everything.

ah jaysus...maybe try the politics forum for clever informed debate about ze germans. around these parts its all about the cheap shots:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

jesus 2002...thats 12 years ago,12 feckin years! how did that happen?

4380 days went past mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Fudge You wrote: »
    I was told, "You sound like you have tourettes, shut up"

I set off a bunch of shrieking Halloween skeletons & gouls that are in the spare bedroom, IN A BOX, UPSTAIRS ! They are activated by sound and motion. God only knows what the neighbours thought was going on inside my house. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I fcuking love you all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I was just thinking that, none of this new fangled jersey nonsense for me anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

I don't know why but i was really nervous about tonight's game like i had a sick feeling in my stomach that we would get hammered once they scored the first goal but watching how Germany played i wasn't feeling so sick :) they weren't great we were ok. We played well and as they seemed to think the game was over after 75mins and they withdrew we actually pushed on and scored at the end :) Its the way we should play at all times we need to forget the apprehension and just go and play some passing football.

My nerves are shot and now its off to Scotland for another tough game that i fear we might just slip up in. Strachan has transformed the Scots. I wouldnt be too worried about Poland again its Scotland that i think will trip us up. Our draw and the Scots/Pols draw is great for us oh and at least for a short while we can say we are joint top and sure while we are at the boasting we might aswell mention how we are ahead of thee Germans :D COYBIG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Whelan should surely never start for Ireland again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well that learns me for abandoning watching the game after the Germans scored. I thought the neighbours were having a major fight until I realised that it was us equalising :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

i was sitting here, drinking me beers with me shorts on. you know, just in case i get an emergency call up. i love all you guys too:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

gandalf wrote: »
    Well that learns me for abandoning watching the game after the Germans scored. I thought the neighbours were having a major fight until I realised that it was us equalising :)

''GET THE FCK IN JOHN'' You thought they were having sexy time didn't you? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Worth it.

My neighbours have Sky and we've Eircom. Sky must broadcast a half or full second ahead of Eircom as there's been a few times (Sexton's try against France in the 6N) where I've heard them shouting before Ireland score.

The ball was only going in the box tonight when I heard 'em shouting and it was a great feeling knowing the ball was going in before O'Shea had even touched it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

''GET THE FCK IN JOHN'' You thought they were having sexy time didn't you? :pac:

Nope I honestly thought they were beating seven shades of ****e out of each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Absolutely loved that. Jumped around the living room like a monkey. Say half of Ireland did. Bring on the scots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Whats with all the muppets turning off after Germany scored or at 90 minutes, fools the lot of you.

:p

Might even buy a 'three' free jersey from the site posted on the ROI Discussion thread now after tonights result.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Considering we were missing McCarthy and Coleman as well!

• Advertisement
Advertisement