Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Germany

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

That was fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I was writing a reply to someone 2 mins before Ireland scored and stopped as we had scored.

A few people were saying our tactics were ****e and why we started playing attacking football st 1-0 down.

We were playing the WC champions. If we tried to play like them we would have been trashed long before they got their goal. The tactics were spot on and O'Neill made the right calls at the right time.

I think O'Neill does deserve some praise. The results is what get us to the tournaments not the performances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Twas a great result, nothing like a last kick of the game goal to set the heart racing.

But.

I don't think tonight will really matter all that much in the grand scheme of things.

It's all still about the Scotland and Poland matches.

Still, results like tonight build confidence, foster team belief and become touchstones to draw upon.
    I was watching the match with a few friends tonight and as we went into the last few minutes I said 'remember 2002, all we need is a chance'.
    If I'm thinking that, the players must be too.

Onwards and upwards.

I love the European Championships, and 1988 is too long ago for us to have been there.
    Fcuk Dumphy - I think we can get out of this group.
    I have confidence in O'Neill.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to be up at 5.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Up the RA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Twas a great result, nothing like a last kick of the game goal to set the heart racing.

But.

I don't think tonight will really matter all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Still, results like tonight build confidence, foster team belief and become touchstones to draw upon.
    I was watching the match with a few friends tonight and as we went into the last few minutes I said 'remember 2002, all we need is a chance'.

Onwards and upwards.

I love the European Championships, and 1988 is too long ago for us to have been there.

Poland beating Germany means results like tonight are essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Not all that surprising bearing in mind the opposition but watching that game was the first time I have been in a pub watching the game and there were English people out-cheering me when Ireland scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

But.

Onwards and upwards.

Have you wiped us qualifying from the Euro's in 2012 from your memory already?

I don't blame you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

Whatever else happens, it'll be a mighty atmosphere in Glasgow come November. Two teams with everything to play for and a real chance of automatic qualification. I'd say the smart money would be on a draw, though. A sneaky peek at the Tartan Army boards shows a lot of confidence in beating Ireland home & away. Of course, they would think that, wouldn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Not all that surprising bearing in mind the opposition

What?....

There's always 1 isn't there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Onwards and upwards.

I see you've blocked all memory of....wait....I shouldn't mention it, might cause a relapse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Have you wiped us qualifying from the Euro's in 2012 from your memory already?

I don't blame you

I thought that was a bad dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Couldn't believe it, it was a glorious end to the game! :D
    Missed the first half in a pub in London that insisted on having te Scotland game on for regulars that were NOT even watching it.
    Legged it back to hotel to get the second half of the Ireland game, musta' looked like a nutter when I jumped up screaming and clapping in the hotel bar with about 6 other people sitting about the place quitely! :D

I thought that was a bad dream.

Ah we where barely there anyway...

*sniggers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What?....

There's always 1 isn't there!

he meant it was not surprising that English lads were cheering louder than he was

he meant it was not surprising that English lads were cheering louder than he was

Doh apologies, thought he meant result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not all that surprising bearing in mind the opposition but watching that game was the first time I have been in a pub watching the game and there were English people out-cheering me when Ireland scored.

The English always supported us alot more compared to us supporting them regardless of the event.

Plus its Germany, they hate Ze Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Joseph Goebbels, Anne Frank, Jurgen Klinsmann, David Hasselhoff, Albert Einstein, Enda Kenny, Bruce Willis, Ernst Röhm your boys have taken one hell of a drawing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That's only the second time Germany have dropped points at home since Hitler was in Art School.

Northern Ireland had 24% possession against Greece and won 2-0.

So lets say Over the course of the 90 minute game they had the ball for 21 minutes.

Unbelievable Jeff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Amazing to see the difference when Gibson came on instead of Whelan.
    How does he keep on getting a start for Ireland??
    We were very poor with the ball for the first 70 mins of the game. it was painful to watch at times. Hoof hoof hoof. Braindead stuff, jump lamping the ball away at every given opportunity.
    I wish we had more of a belief in ourselves, to trust ourselves in those positions.
    "I'm going to look up and i'm going to find a man in a green shirt." When you get the ball at least try and play. WHelan hasnt a qucik enough brain to play the game at this level, he's two-three steps behind everyone else.
    What a finish though. Sheasy will go down as a legend with that goal. 100 caps. captain. playing World champions in their own back yard. 93rd min.
    We badly need to step up now against Scotland cos theyre playing some great stuff under strachen and could rip us a new one if we did what we did tonight!
    Be good to have coleman and mc carthy back. Drop whelan, quinn and walters and start gibson, mc carthy and hoolahan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Joseph Goebbels, Anne Frank, Jurgen Klinsmann, David Hasselhoff, Albert Einstein, Enda Kenny, Bruce Willis, Ernst Röhm your boys have taken one hell of a drawing...

dont forget queen elizabeth!!!

Northern Ireland had 24% possession against Greece and won 2-0.

So lets say Over the course of the 90 minute game they had the ball for 21 minutes.

Unbelievable Jeff.

Karma biting Greece in the arse a bit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Don't they understand that Forde is Ireland's Pirlo?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

roanoke wrote: »
    Don't they understand that Forde is Ireland's Pirlo?

Deep lying playmaker :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's on again on RTE 2 now lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Team against scotland

Forde
    Coleman Wilson O'Shea Ward
    Gibson
    McCarthy Holohan
    McGeady Mclean
    Keane

Discuss

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Team against scotland

Forde
    Gibson
    McCarthy Holohan
    McGeady Mclean
    Keane

Discuss

100% for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I know we pressed hard tonight but in general Ward's passing is shocking for a professional footballer. Twice tonight little five yard passes to McClean were put out of play. Makes sense why he mostly runs back towards the keeper.

Whelan has heart and a bit of steel but he is so limited. Quinn looked poor tonight also.

Gibson and Hendrick showed for the ball and actually offered a decent passing range going forward. A midfield three of Gibson, McCarthy and Hendrick looks good.

McGeady while infuriating is one of the decent technical players we have. When he went to the wing he looked fairly decent he should have started on the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

SlickRic wrote: »
    It's on again on RTE 2 now lads.

We just scored, even now I still cheered when it went in.

Was a cracking finish too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Team against scotland

Forde
    Gibson
    McCarthy Holohan
    McGeady Mclean
    Keane

Discuss

Would probably put Hendrick in place of Holohan, otherwise that seems the definite team to go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Away to Scotland

Forde

---Coleman---Wilson---O Shea----Anybody else

Hendrick

McGeady---McCarthy
    Gibson---McClean

Keane

Home to Scotland

Forde

---Coleman---Wilson---O Shea----Anybody else

McGeady---McCarthy
    Gibson---McClean

Hoolohan

Keane

Billy86 wrote: »
    Would probably put Hendrick in place of Holohan, otherwise that seems the definite team to go with.

Who is Holohan?

Jack Grealish? ??

Bleh, Hoolahan. I saw his typo and copied it - it's late. If it makes you feel better, you can search my posts in this thread which have all otherwise referred to him as Hoolahan. ;)

I'd be willing to wager that no one else takes points off Germany in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

murpho999 wrote: »
    Who is Holohan?

LADS would yis forget formations and **** for tonight? just watch bowie singing heroes in german and that norwegian guy slagging maggie thatcher...thats all there is tonight.

I'd be willing to wager that no one else takes points off Germany in Germany.

But they'll play attacking from the get go and lose by 2 or 3 goals, which is much better than putting 9 men behind the ball for 70 minutes then scrambling desperately and getting a draw.

Jack Grealish? ??

I think Nathaniel Clyne looks distinctly Irish, no? I'm sure he wouldn't mind switching to the left. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

You have to say that Ireland scoring an equaliser right at the death is the best time to do it. Leaves the opposition no time to score that otherwise inevitable sickening winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

A 1-1 draw feels so much better than a 0-0 draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

We were both ****. But we looked far better after the subs and with players in position. Cant wait for Scotland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Billy86 wrote: »
    But they'll play attacking from the get go and lose by 2 or 3 goals, which is much better than putting 9 men behind the ball for 70 minutes then scrambling desperately and getting a draw.

yes it would be much better to see ireland play expansive football and loose 3 0. poland had 2 shots the other night and scored both. they played defensively and tried to hit germany on the break.poland had only 33 % possession. very few would go to the world champions back yard and play expansive football.germany hadn't lost a euro qualifier since 1996

yes it would be much better to see ireland play expansive football and loose 3 0. poland had 2 shots the other night and scored both. they played defensively and tried to hit germany on the break.poland had only 33 % possession. very few would go to the world champions back yard and play expansive football.germany hadn't lost a euro qualifier since 1996

(it was a joke)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gibson did well with the ball tonight but he got passed through very easy a few times and has quite a slow turn of pace to try and make up for it. Like Hoolahan, it was a good choice not to start him tonight as, even though he wasn't great or anything and didn't close down for the goal, over the time he was on he would be more effective that way than Gibson. Scotland of course is a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Corholio wrote: »
    Gibson did well with the ball tonight but he got passed through very easy a few times and has quite a slow turn of pace to try and make up for it. Like Hoolahan, it was a good choice not to start him tonight as, even though he wasn't great or anything and didn't close down for the goal, over the time he was on he would be more effective that way than Gibson. Scotland of course is a different story.

Gibson made more forward passes in his 20 mins on the field than Whelan did all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭ch20

Great result for the irish team, o sheas goal will go down in histroy .The Germans looked sickened after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

back from pub a bit rat arsed to see highlights with Peter Collins and kenny Cunningham **** me off to bed

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B3TnoWrzBfg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Get the **** in!!!!!

Turners Cross area never saw roar like it from house when me and friends went nuts.

Over the moon.

Bring on Northern England!!

• Advertisement

Kenny Cunningham just said there have been great results for the "Home Nations".

That's not a term Irish would use is it? Or am I a staunch republican?

Advertisement