Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Germany

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

murpho999 wrote: »
    Kenny Cunningham just said there have been great results for the "Home Nations".

That's not a term Irish would use is it? Or am I a staunch republican?

Sure we are Carling Cup Champions Baby!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Sure we are Carling Cup Champions Baby!!!

Correct....not "The Home Nations Champions"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Correct....not "The Home Nations Champions"

Just enjoy he result.

Show your true passion for Independence in Glasgow next month ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Kenny Cunningham just said there have been great results for the "Home Nations".

That's not a term Irish would use is it? Or am I a staunch republican?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Nations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

gwan boys, get the f*** in! :D thrilled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Unbelievable result. Overall it wasn't a perfect performance, but right now who cares? Haven't felt like this after an Ireland game in a long, long time. Germany did dominate but one of the biggest positives for me was that we didn't let them slice us open too many times, they didn't have that many clear cut chances, even their goal was a shot from distance, probably got a bit lucky but I thought we defended quite well and most teams would struggle to break us down if we played like that, which is good to have in the locker. The single biggest positive for me though was that when we did go 1-0 down, we didn't accept that it was over, we fought back and didn't give up and in the end we got a huge result, under Trap there is no way we would have got that goal.

I'm hoping that goal will give the squad belief, because certainly from reading this forum and talking to a lot of people it has given the fans belief, something I personally haven't had in a long time. Far too often in the past 4 or 5 years there have been nothing but negative comments about the team after games (justified much of the time), but tonight it really is a wonderful feeling to see so many people happy and get behind the team, fingers crossed this result will spark a renewed interest in the national team. Hopefully we will look back on that goal in a similar way we look back on McAteers against the Dutch in 2001. Yesterday I really didn't think we had it in us to get a result in Germany, I have never been so happy to be proven wrong. Martin and Roy will know it wasn't a perfect performance but I'm sure they learnt a lot and it will give everyone involved with the team confidence ahead of next months clash with Scotland, a result there and we might finally have some magical nights back in Lansdowne Road over the next few months. COYBIG!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,950 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This result wont count for much if we balls things up against Scotland. If we win that game then it gives us a huge advantage in terms of 3rd place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭briany

This result wont count for much if we balls things up against Scotland. If we win that game then it gives us a huge advantage in terms of 3rd place.

If Ireland can beat Scotland, the team's
    and our eyes should really be turning to the prospect of automatic qualification. Nearly anyone else with 10 points from 4 games would regard themselves as having a great chance of topping the table, so if Ireland could beat Scotland, I would find an eventual 3rd place finish to be a fair disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

Agreed I don't think we do good as favourites either, we are much more dangerous going in against sides as underdogs. I think we have the ability to beat the scots, but I'd much rather us push forward and counterattack more against them than we did tonight, our passing and ability to hold onto possession has got to improve too.

The Scots could very well have got a similar result against the Germans as we did tonight, and at this early stage of the championship, all the teams in the group expect Gibraltar and Georgia will improve. Having 7 points after three games is the perfect start for us. I think we have all the ability in the world for automatic qualification, I wouldn't be settling for third either. Not with seven matches still left to go, and a lot more Football left to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

The lads in the studio though. They were three old men with absolutely no appreciation for the joy ongoing in living rooms across Ireland. Boy did they not have their finger on the pulse of the Ireland soccer fan tonight. Why were they so ****ing dour?

And furthermore they were completely wrong. They were acting as if each ten minutes of a match is can be evaluated without reference to when it happens or what the score is. As if if Gibbo, Hendrick and Hoolahan had started we'd have played like the last ten minutes for the entire game. Germany were happy to try and hang on to their lead for the last 15 minutes. They were tired after a tough Poland game. We gave ourselves a chance through our 70 minutes of resolute defending and sitting behind the ball, and if we conceded a goal, we knew our best chance of getting one back would be towards the end of the game. We were patient and disciplined and had a game plan.

We were lucky that we got a goal, but that wasn't our only chance. Less indecision by McGeady and Hoolahan and we'd have had other chances, and that was a tremendous block from Hummels.

And finally that was a spirited display. I'd never really seen character in a team performance like I saw tonight. Germany scored and I was finished. I turned on the oven and was going to eat a subpar Lidl pizza. Many people turned off the TV around the country. When I returned from the kitchen, Ireland were still defending, trying to get the ball up the pitch, still being disciplined though at the same time. No mindless launching. I thought that's nice, but then realised the Germans were on the ropes and there was space for the ball at the feet of Irish players. It was encouraging regardless of whether or not we equalised. I think that might be the Roy Keane factor. If your head drops after going behind, you can be sure it either comes back up fairly sharpish or you'll be meeting him on your way into the dressing room.

McClean was fantastic, and Forde is a superstar. The lads in the studio were so joyless. Yes Martin O'Neill has been a bit of a prick in his handling of the Irish media. He's used to being gushed over by his British media mates, and this RTE old guard won't be spoken to like that, but we had just scored a last kick of the game equaliser against the world champions in a qualifier! It shouldn't matter if we'd Pol Pot as manager. What happened to Ciao Roma?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sure we're going for second now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yillan wrote: »
    The lads in the studio though. They were three old men with absolutely no appreciation for the joy ongoing in living rooms across Ireland. Boy did they not have their finger on the pulse of the Ireland soccer fan tonight. Why were they so ****ing dour?

And furthermore they were completely wrong. They were acting as if each ten minutes of a match is can be evaluated without reference to when it happens or what the score is. As if if Gibbo, Hendrick and Hoolahan had started we'd have played like the last ten minutes for the entire game. Germany were happy to try and hang on to their lead for the last 15 minutes. They were tired after a tough Poland game. We gave ourselves a chance through our 70 minutes of resolute defending and sitting behind the ball, and if we conceded a goal, we knew our best chance of getting one back would be towards the end of the game. We were patient and disciplined and had a game plan.

We were lucky that we got a goal, but that wasn't our only chance. Less indecision by McGeady and Hoolahan and we'd have had other chances, and that was a tremendous block from Hummels.

And finally that was a spirited display. I'd never really seen character in a team performance like I saw tonight. Germany scored and I was finished. I turned on the oven and was going to eat a subpar Lidl pizza. Many people turned off the TV around the country. When I returned from the kitchen, Ireland were still defending, trying to get the ball up the pitch, still being disciplined though at the same time. No mindless launching. I thought that's nice, but then realised the Germans were on the ropes and there was space for the ball at the feet of Irish players. It was encouraging regardless of whether or not we equalised. I think that might be the Roy Keane factor. If your head drops after going behind, you can be sure it either comes back up fairly sharpish or you'll be meeting him on your way into the dressing room.

McClean was fantastic, and Forde is a superstar. The lads in the studio were so joyless. Yes Martin O'Neill has been a bit of a prick in his handling of the Irish media. He's used to being gushed over by his British media mates, and this RTE old guard won't be spoken to like that, but we had just scored a last kick of the game equaliser against the world champions in a qualifier! It shouldn't matter if we'd Pol Pot as manager. What happened to Ciao Roma?

I almost did a TL:DR on that but it was engrossing actually.

I dont agree the lads were dour though. I think Eamonn in particular delivered his best analysis for ages. He just said that Ireland should have attacked more, and they should have.

Great result, fair play to Johhny O'Shea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Loved the positive substitutions

Trap would have brought on defensive players to stop us being hockeyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I really hope someone can step up and take Wilson's centre half spot alongside O'Shea, and Wilson can go back to LB where he played well during the last campaign. Bar centre mid, the full backs are the most important players for a team keeping possesion. And unfortunatly, so many of our possessions ends when Ward touches the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I almost did a TL:DR on that but it was engrossing actually.

I dont agree the lads were dour though. I think Eamonn in particular delivered his best analysis for ages. He just said that Ireland should have attacked more, and they should have.

Great result, fair play to Johhny O'Shea

Can't say I agree.

Someone above hit the nail on the head in terms of not judging 10-15 mins in isolation. Goals change the dynamic of games. Germany, at one up with 15 to go, were happy to try and hold onto that. That helped us to get a bit more on the front foot. That doesn't mean we could have played like that for 90 mins. I think we possibly could have been better and the points on McGeady, Gibson and Walters were correct but you can't just say that we should have played for the whole game like we did for the last 15 mins.

Dunphy is also shameless in his pursuit of the agenda around Wes Hoolahan. "It was a great ball into the box" and "He set up the equaliser" are stupid statements. Hoolahan did well to find the bit of space and to pick up the pass from McGeady. However, he played a terrible aimless ball into the box that Dunphy would have slated if Whelan or someone had played it. Kendrick made the goal by retrieving it and getting it back into the danger area. Hoolahan had a couple of really poor moments but you can't judge him on a 20 minute cameo either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Hoolahan is the new Andy Reid, every game he doesn't play his reputation gets better, every game he does play you see he's a decent footballer but nothing else. He did as many bad things as good last night. The way Dunphy goes on you'd swear he was the second coming.

Dunphy also referred to a game Norwich played against Liverpool in which he 'ran the show'. In the last couple of seasons Liverpool have given Norwich a good beating every time they played them (apart from 3-2 last April in which Hoolahan didn't play) so not sure where that's come from.

Hendrick deserves a lot more credit than Wes for the goal, he kept the ball alive after a poor cross. I'd like to see Wes given a start in Scotland but I think Gibson had a far bigger impact last night when coming on than anyone else. McCarthy, Gibson, Hoolahan, McClean, McGeady and Long/Keane would be my front 6. I don't think Walters should be starting, I just don't see what managers see in him.

Still buzzing after last nights result tho, it was some finish by Johnner! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm sorry but they are not completely wrong.

At the end of the day, we had three players more capable of retaining possession on the pitch in the last 15 minutes and it showed. Keane was completely useless last night, if the tactic was to wait for the last 15 minutes, he would have been brought on for that, because he can't play the lone man role.

The three lads who we brought on allowed us to be comfortable in possession, it allowed us to put McGeady on the right wing and give us some proper width and a player who could beat the left full of Germany and get the ball into the box.

I completely agree that the Germans began to sit back a little bit, but if we had have had Whelan and Quinn still on the pitch at that point, we would not have been as dangerous. Quinn was also at fault for the German goal, gave Kroos way too much space to take a shot. I also don't see the extra defensive capabilities that Quinn gives us over Gibson.

The 3 players who came on did not effect us defensively in the slightest, but it gave us more of a threat going forward, and allowed us to break with a purpose and with numbers. Hoolahan's chance and how it developed (which was great movement by him) showed this.

O'Neill got some decisions wrong last night with the starting 11 and I hope he fixes it in time for the Scottish game, In saying that though, Scotland are another team like us, so it won't be playing your standard continental Europe team, it'll be a much different affair, more like a Premier League or Championship game than slow retention of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

There's also the school of thought that says Martin O'Neill got his tactics spot on. He changed the team and set up to rescue a point when required.

It's a bit simplistic to say that we should have played the whole 90 like the last 20. Germany didn't so therefore we couldn't.

But Hoolahan has to start every game. He's one of the few players that connects our midfield and our attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So, outcomes of the match -

1. Merkel will never sign off on the budget now.
    2. We can play a bit when given room. We should not try and match the World Champions on their turf though. We played it smart last night.
    3. Last night was achieved without Coleman, McCarthy and Long, 2 likely starters. So Germany were missing a couple, but we may have been weakened even more than them.
    4. All this counts for naught if we mess up against Scotland or Poland. This will be a very hard group to get a lot of points from, 4 teams in it. We need to win our home games, and minimum a point in Scotland next up to keep the momentum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

tigger123 wrote: »
    There's also the school of thought that says Martin O'Neill got his tactics spot on. He changed the team and set up to rescue a point when required.

It's a bit simplistic to say that we should have played the whole 90 like the last 20. Germany didn't so therefore we couldn't.

But Hoolahan has to start every game. He's one of the few players that connects our midfield and our attack.

If that's the case then he wouldn't have started Keane and would have played Long or Doyle who could have ran the back four into the ground for the first 70 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Really disappointed with last night performance, we were playing a German team that lack confidence and once we attacked them in the last 20 mins, the Germans got very nervous.

Players were afraid to go forward with the ball, instead passed it back to the keeper for the keeper to boot it up the field and lose possession.

In last 20 mins we created 3 good chances, should of went for the kill after half time.

The Germans were lacking confidence and very tired looking, a great opportunity missed by Ireland and the negative tactics of the management, 3 points were there to take!!

The Germans will regroup and come back stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Really disappointed with last night performance, we were playing a German team that lack confidence and once we attacked them in the last 20 mins, the Germans got very nervous.

Players were afraid to go forward with the ball, instead passed it back to the keeper for the keeper to boot it up the field and lose possession.

In last 20 mins we created 3 good chances, should of went for the kill after half time.

The Germans were lacking confidence and very tired looking, a great opportunity missed by Ireland and the negative tactics of the management, 3 points were there to take!!

In fairness Germany got nervous cos it took them 70 minutes to get a goal past us. If it went 1-1, they would have had a hard time breaking us down again so they tried to defend the lead. As the clock ticked on, they got nervous and we started playing better (helped with the subs & change in tactics). It's not like if we started the game with a more attacking style that we'd have done better. Germany would likely have picked us apart if we had and we'd all be here complaining why MON tried to playing an attacking game against Germany on their turf!

Playing so defensively frustrated Germany for 70 minutes. Then when Germany did score, the clock was already ticking down and the points were in the balance. They couldn't over commit going forward for fear of us catching them out. It's always the case with a 1-0 lead - no matter who you are, when the match enters the last 10 minutes or so it's brown trouser time.

Dickerty wrote: »
    So, outcomes of the match -

1. Merkel will never sign off on the budget now.
    2. We can play a bit when given room. We should not try and match the World Champions on their turf though. We played it smart last night.
    3. Last night was achieved without Coleman, McCarthy and Long, 2 likely starters. So Germany were missing a couple, but we may have been weakened even more than them.
    4. All this counts for naught if we mess up against Scotland or Poland. This will be a very hard group to get a lot of points from, 4 teams in it. We need to win our home games, and minimum a point in Scotland next up to keep the momentum.

More than a couple to be fair!
    Reus, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Khedira, Schurrle, Howedes, Kramer probably all would have played some part if fit last night!
    Throw in the Benders *snigger* and Mario Gomez also out and they were down to the bare bones!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great watching the sideline celebartions on SSN

The porridge had a nice taste off it this morning :D

COYBIG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Literally cant stop smiling, Best draw ever.

We have to go to Northern England and get 3 points though. All well and good getting a draw from a higher seed but need to be beating the lower seeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I didn't think anywhere outside a loony asylum would i see someone criticise Ireland for getting a draw away to the world champions, a team who beat us 6-0 the last time we played that fixture, while missing our two best players this time.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I really hope someone can step up and take Wilson's centre half spot alongside O'Shea, and Wilson can go back to LB where he played well during the last campaign. Bar centre mid, the full backs are the most important players for a team keeping possesion. And unfortunatly, so many of our possessions ends when Ward touches the ball

Delaney and O Brien coming in would make us stronger at the back yet both never seem to be in the squad.

kfallon wrote: »
    More than a couple to be fair!
    Reus, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Khedira, Schurrle, Howedes, Kramer probably all would have played some part if fit last night!
    Throw in the Benders *snigger* and Mario Gomez also out and they were down to the bare bones!

But when we lose a player, we replace with someone of maybe Championship quality. They have practically the entire Bundesliga to chose from. They were definately weakened, but I think they can absorb it a lot better!

In all the celebrations we shouldn't forget the ref.

Thought he was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Very impressive, for both sides. Really though he was giving a German penalty when Draxler(?) fell over his own feet but he got it dead right.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I didn't think anywhere outside a loony asylum would i see someone criticise Ireland for getting a draw away to the world champions, a team who beat us 6-0 the last time we played that fixture, while missing our two best players this time.

3-0 ;)
    Dickerty wrote: »
    But when we lose a player, we replace with someone of maybe Championship quality. They have practically the entire Bundesliga to chose from. They were definately weakened, but I think they can absorb it a lot better!

Did we not have Premiership replacements for McCarthy and Coleman last night in Meyler and Quinn (both of Hull)
    Germany were missing 2 of their 3 most influential players (Reus and Schweinsteiger), that will affect any top class team tbh! And as I say, they were missing so many players last night you get the feeling that they just wanted to get any win possible and try to get players back for November.

Still a great draw tho cos I don't see any other team in the group getting anything in Germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I don't think Walters should be starting, I just don't see what managers see in him.

I don't think that's fair. I thought Walters was brilliant last night, with the ball in the air and his back to goal he did a fantastic job of retaining possession along that right hand sideline, far better than McGeady or McClean did on the other side.

And his pressing was a hugely important factor throughout all of the match, he really unsettled the German defenders at times and stopped them playing it out. I felt his performance last night was hugely important to the result.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Very impressive, for both sides. Really though he was giving a German penalty when Draxler(?) fell over his own feet but he got it dead right.

Podolski. Would have been easy for the ref to be a 'homer' and give that, but it was the right call...

I don't think that's fair. I thought Walters was brilliant last night, with the ball in the air and his back to goal he did a fantastic job of retaining possession along that right hand sideline, far better than McGeady or McClean did on the other side.

And his pressing was a hugely important factor throughout all of the match, he really unsettled the German defenders at times and stopped them playing it out. I felt his performance last night was hugely important to the result.

Fair enough, it's all about opinions but I thought he offered very little and has been poor in his last few appearances. There was a moment in the second half he had it out on the right wing, McGeady was in the space between the left back and left CB and it was a routine 5 yard pass anyone could play to put him into a dangerous attacking position. He made a complete balls of it, it was shocking!

I know he's a worker and I can see why managers like him but his quality on the ball is very poor.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

"What a result for Ireland. Extraordinary. Not exactly deserved on the balance of play, but that’s the hideous, wondrous beauty of this game. The Germans sulk off the pitch grumbling – they should have won this match by a distance, but for all their possession they created only one clear chance inside the penalty area (Götze in the 80th minute, well saved by Forde), and actually the Irish created two."

That says a ton about the performance.

I posted after the Kroos goal that I would rather us lose 3-0 and have a shot at getting something from the game. Under Trap, we all knew he would rarely do the same in the same position because he had absolutlely zero confidence in the team and subs getting something. I was hoping that MON had the balls to go out and at least try to get something.

Hendricks was very solid, Gibson did very well and Houlihan, while having some very poor moments, added alot of impetus to get into their box.

I was initially disappointed by the team selection last night, but in hindsight it was clear MON had a game plan in mind regarding the team structure and subs (especially on the wings) as we entered the final 30 minutes, regardless of the Kroos goal.

Did we deserve a point? I think we did to be honest. Yes, Germany weren't the all-conquering team we say 4 months ago, but we were also missing key players in McCarthy and Coleman and we still took a point.

The Poland-Scotland draw add the cherry to a great night for football.

Let me say this - the result itself isn't whats making me giddy this morning, it's the fact that, 1-0 down from home, we pressed on and tried to get a point. There will be times where we'll actually lose 2-0 in the same situation, but at least the mentality is there.

Looking forward to the team line up for the next game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Cos it's "ze Germans"

The Germans get nothing but praise in the English media. They are constantly held up as everything that England should be from grassroots up.

I can't believe some of the criticism in this thread and on RTE last night. It is like some people are new to the game. The joy of football is that if you can keep in touch with a superior opponent for most of the game then anything can happen at the end. We've seen it time after time after time.

It doesn't matter if Germany had more of the ball. They scored as many goals as you did.

It doesn't matter if they hit the bar. They got as many points as you did.

Last night was a classic away performance and teams across Europe will go away to superior opposition this weekend and every weekend and try to replicate it. MON's tactics were spot on and he mixed things up at exactly the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Hoolahan is the new Andy Reid, every game he doesn't play his reputation gets better, every game he does play you see he's a decent footballer but nothing else. He did as many bad things as good last night. The way Dunphy goes on you'd swear he was the second coming.

Dunphy also referred to a game Norwich played against Liverpool in which he 'ran the show'. In the last couple of seasons Liverpool have given Norwich a good beating every time they played them (apart from 3-2 last April in which Hoolahan didn't play) so not sure where that's come from.

Hendrick deserves a lot more credit than Wes for the goal, he kept the ball alive after a poor cross. I'd like to see Wes given a start in Scotland but I think Gibson had a far bigger impact last night when coming on than anyone else. McCarthy, Gibson, Hoolahan, McClean, McGeady and Long/Keane would be my front 6. I don't think Walters should be starting, I just don't see what managers see in him.

I thought Hoolahan was very poor when he came on, seemed to give the ball away every time he touched it. However, at that stage I suppose he was just trying to make something happen and taking more risks.

Even trying to do something creative is more than we had been doing up to that point. Thought Gibson was much more important than Hoolahan though.

I also thought that Walters did great when he went up front: ran his socks off and caused them serious trouble in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Things could have gone very differently with a weak ref. There were some robust challenges in the game, especially from McClean, but he didn't do anything silly and got the decisions in the penalty area spot on.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I have to disagree, I thought Walters was poor enough throughout. He tried his best to be fair though.

McGeady was our best player at retaining possession last night. He is one of the few players we have with technical ability and it showed last night. His decision making can be awful but at least offers something from the wing.

I have no complaints about Walters last night he done well. But we have far better options on the wings that are not being used. In tough away games he can put in a defensive shift but besides that he should not be on the wing.

• Advertisement

Say what you want about the starting side last night. I criticised it and i still think we could have lined up better.

But he has to get credit for those substitutions, each one of them was positive and made a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I have to disagree, I thought Walters was poor enough throughout. He tried his best to be fair though.

Yeah I didnt think Walters had a great game at all. How many headers did he actually win in the game? The gameplan seemed to be to hoof it up to him and let him compete with the left back but I'd say he won about 10% of the ball that came his way. His ball retention was shocking as well.
    Fair enough he ran around a bit and applied a bit of pressure, anyone can do that and you'd expect that as a given from any player, but when we got the ball he was found wanting.

Say what you want about the starting side last night. I criticised it and i still think we could have lined up better.

But he has to get credit for those substitutions, each one of them was positive and made a big difference.

They were like for like replacements, the first of them brough about through injury to Whelan. He just shuffled round the pack and ended up playing the formation/team he probably should have started with. I wouldnt give MON any great credit for doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

What I like the most is how the lads are thinking now. Apart from the France game under Trap we never really had proper self belief in ourselves, we do now. You don't beat Georgia and draw with the World Champions away in the last minutes of those games without the right mindset. MO'N must take some credit for this change.

The psychological edge of getting something in Germany where Scotland didn't will hopefully be the difference when we play them next month. It'll be a game of epic proportions as it is, the Tricolor is flown over Parkhead, M'ON was manager there for years, McGeedy and McCarthy are actually from Glasgow, Amhrán na bhFiann has been sung there countless times, it'll be strange stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Great post.

It is crazy, and kinda said, that three people who know so much about football know and understand so little about football.

I know he's a worker and I can see why managers like him but his quality on the ball is very poor.
    ColeTrain wrote: »
    I have no complaints about Walters last night he done well. But we have far better options on the wings that are not being used. In tough away games he can put in a defensive shift but besides that he should not be on the wing.

I'm not disagreeing that on the ball he's pretty awful (he had the worst pass completion ratio of any outfielder last night). But he won more headers than anyone on the pitch last night and that gives us an outlet we don't have anywhere else on the pitch.

In contrast you have McGeady, who despite being our best passer in the advanced areas still didn't create anything of note, and McClean, who despite being the only man in a green jersey capable of finding space last night didn't find anyone with his crosses.

So, looking ahead to the other matches, Walters winning the ball high up the pitch and laying it off for an overlapping Coleman is as good as any other options we have at the moment. Plus his workrate on the right flank means that a) Coleman would have more opportunity to get forward b) you can push McGeady/McClean higher up the pitch.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Yeah I didnt think Walters had a great game at all. How many headers did he actually win in the game?

11, according to http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/812252/LiveStatistics/International-EURO-Cup-2014-2015-Germany-Ireland

I'm not disagreeing that on the ball he's pretty awful (he had the worst pass completion ratio of any outfielder last night). But he won more headers than anyone on the pitch last night and that gives us an outlet we don't have anywhere else on the pitch.

In contrast you have McGeady, who despite being our best passer in the advanced areas still didn't create anything of note, and McClean, who despite being the only man in a green jersey capable of finding space last night didn't find anyone with his crosses.

So, looking ahead to the other matches, Walters winning the ball high up the pitch and laying it off for an overlapping Coleman is as good as any other options we have at the moment. Plus his workrate on the right flank means that a) Coleman would have more opportunity to get forward b) you can push McGeady/McClean higher up the pitch.

Very very harsh on McClean. Almost every time he beat the full back he had one option in the box who is up against two or three defenders. He put in one great ball where Neuer made a great catch.

Also in the build up to the goal McGeady done very well to turn and find Hollolhan in space if that was Walters it would have came to nothing.

Also McGeady has become far more disciplined defensively than he used to be. Reminds me of the situation at United where Valencia was playing because he defended well. A winger's job is create especially at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

That money you pay for your TV license goes into Dunphy's pocket - what a great shame of ours that is. He is a small joke of a man who can never say a good thing about anything or anyone. Last night was one of our greatest results, particularly in the last 10-15 years, and he just had to try and piss all over it.

He's probably reeling from being described as an idiot by his 'friend' Roy Keane in his book. The man needs to be taken off our TV screens.

Does it say out of how many duels? Cant find it.
    He was dispossessed the most. Caught offisde the most. He had the worst pass competion rate of our outfield players : 60%. Gave away the most fouls.

All in all a pretty poor display based on those stats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement