Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Funding

• 14-10-2014 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a ****ty situation. I just started the second year of my PhD in Science in TCD, and unfortunately was just told by my supervisor that our recent grant application was denied, which means that come September 2015 at the end of my second year I may have no choice but to finish up because we have no more money. we have one more grant funding application still pending which we will know the results of in November, and I'm getting my supervisor to apply for another by the end of October, but each is less likely than the first, and due to the real possibility of no funding, my supervisor and I have been looking for alternate funding sources to get me through. I was wondering if anyone has ever been through this before or has any advice????? I just need funding for eighteen months/two years to let me finish. Covering registration and costs and consumerables is the main thing. If it comes to it, I was thinking I could apply for the dole to get me through living wise: has anyone done that or think it can be done, applying for the dole whilst doing a postgraduate degree? I'm totally lost and thinking about it constantly is starting to affect my work. Any help would be really really really appreciated. Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a ****ty situation. I just started the second year of my PhD in Science in TCD, and unfortunately was just told by my supervisor that our recent grant application was denied, which means that come September 2015 at the end of my second year I may have no choice but to finish up because we have no more money. we have one more grant funding application still pending which we will know the results of in November, and I'm getting my supervisor to apply for another by the end of October, but each is less likely than the first, and due to the real possibility of no funding, my supervisor and I have been looking for alternate funding sources to get me through. I was wondering if anyone has ever been through this before or has any advice????? I just need funding for eighteen months/two years to let me finish. Covering registration and costs and consumerables is the main thing. If it comes to it, I was thinking I could apply for the dole to get me through living wise: has anyone done that or think it can be done, applying for the dole whilst doing a postgraduate degree? I'm totally lost and thinking about it constantly is starting to affect my work. Any help would be really really really appreciated. Thanks guys

Can you not apply for IRC funding in the new year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bryaneden91

Yeah I definitely can, however I applied for it when I originally started I wasn't eligible for an IRC grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

You can't be a registered student and apply for the dole. There is no way around this unfortunately. I finished my phd after my funding ran out and wasn't eligible to get the dole until my thesis was submitted and I needed a form signed by my supervisor.

In terms of fees - there are ways around it in TCD. You can apply for the trinity scholarship. There are also TA positions that include a small stipend and cover fees.

In terms of personal funding you could demonstrate as many hours as possible and do lab work around that.

In terms of grants... IRC, SFI, EI, HRB... They all have calls. its just figuring out which ones would be suitable. Perhaps your PI could apply for a grant for a phd student and a research assistant with you taking the RA role?

What department are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

sullivlo wrote: »
    You can't be a registered student and apply for the dole. There is no way around this unfortunately. I finished my phd after my funding ran out and wasn't eligible to get the dole until my thesis was submitted and I needed a form signed by my supervisor.

That's not entirely true
    (e) Postgraduate (research) students:

Students pursuing a course at Postgraduate level by research only, who do not have fixed lectures or holidays but who work "at their own pace" until the thesis is submitted should have their entitlement examined. Each case should be examined on an individual basis to ensure that the general availability/ GSW conditions are satisfied.

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Jobseekers-Allowance.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Okay well I'm basing it on my experience last year with trying to sign on. It's very difficult to meet the criteria, and if the OP is still going to be registered and not "off books", he won't be able to sign on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

I received Jobseekers Allowance during the final year of my Ph.D.; I required documentation from my University which confirmed that I had no lectures to attend and would be thereby free to pursue full-time employment. I assumed that I would not be eligible but my local Social Welfare office was far more supportive than I expected.

Depending what department you're in in TCD they may be able to provide some funding for you, as some departments have money set aside to support students on smaller grants etc. Definitely ask your supervisor to ask your department head if there would be any money available to tide you over and about applying for the student awards.

What are your contingency plans if you don't find funding?

Could you find work and complete it part time?
    Use your remaining time to get a masters?
    Move somewhere else and start afresh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

If you are just at the end of your first year, then it may be worth while considering swapping to a different group if anyone has funding. Or - write up a masters at the end of September - that may be the option offered if no funding is secured. Other than that, start applying for grants. That may depend on your field though - eg in the sciences, phd grants/stipends tend to be offered for the entire time of the PhD - not when you are one year into it. You could try talking to the person that deals with grant applications in the department - there is usually someone employed to keep an eye on which calls etc are open, to advise applicants.

Advertisement