Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no crèche on Saturday

Options
  • 14-10-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Are there any crèches open on Saturday in this country?

Lots of parents have to work on Saturdays

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Best bet is to get a childminder or a nanny then.

Or au pair if you have room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Where are you looking for? There is no point in someone suggesting someone in mayo if you are somewhere like Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 biancab

Miaireland wrote: »
    Where are you looking for? There is no point in someone suggesting someone in mayo if you are somewhere like Wicklow.

was just wondering if anyone has come across any open on sat, just find it strange that its min to fri only

• Registered Users Posts: 39 biancab

biancab wrote: »
    was just wondering if anyone has come across any open on sat, just find it strange that its min to fri only

sorry Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

majority of parents dont need a creche on a saturday so not viable for creche operators to open on saturday and would also mean them having to put on additional staffing resources. If you take a creche that would hold in the region of 40-60 children Monday - Friday they are going to have that demand on a saturday as most families willl have at least 1 parent not working saturday or other family members to help out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There are creches or playcenters in supermarkets around here that are open saturdays and sundays. I've never used them, but they are certainly open for parents who want to go to the cinema or do shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Funny enough, our creche sent us a letter asking how many parents would be interested in a saturday service as they had lots of requests for it. They were thinking about running it as a little "on the side" project for the girls that work there (which i think is a bad idea from a business point of view) but only for children that were in the creche already.

Now i haven't heard any update on it so far but to be honest it's not something i'd be in favour of. I can't imagine any creche offering a 6 day week service without it being a premium price so from a cost point of view, it's probably not a sevice i'd avail of. I appreciate some parents have to work weekends as i do myself from time to time and i hate it which i'd imagine most people do but i think 5 days a week is enough for any child to be in creche.

I appreciate some parents have to work weekends as i do myself from time to time and i hate it which i'd imagine most people do but i think 5 days a week is enough for any child to be in creche.

I agree, but the child might only be in 3 days, one of which happens to be a saturday.

pwurple wrote: »
    I agree, but the child might only be in 3 days, one of which happens to be a saturday.

yeah i get that but i think any creche offering a 6 day service will charge a premium to possibly all customers due to the fact that they offer an extended service ... I think that cost alone might make it not a viable option for most creches to offer as cost is a huge factor for most parents.

yeah i get that but i think any creche offering a 6 day service will charge a premium to possibly all customers due to the fact that they offer an extended service ... I think that cost alone might make it not a viable option for most creches to offer as cost is a huge factor for most parents.

Well, an awful lot of retail shops are open 6 days a week these days. Some still only do tue-sat, but they are in the minority. Is there a massive premium on that?

The staff don't work 6 days usually, some work mon-fri, some work tue-sat for example. They all still get minimum wae usually. We're not talking about creche workers on triple time or anything.

I wouldn't say premises rent goes up. Electricity, insurance, bins and rates would be the same.

I'd imagine demand is the reason it's not normally provided. Usually parents don't both work weekends, or have some friend or relative around who can look after the child for a saturday. You wouldn't keep a creche open for 2 children who want it that day.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »

I'd imagine demand is the reason it's not normally provided. Usually parents don't both work weekends, or have some friend or relative around who can look after the child for a saturday. You wouldn't keep a creche open for 2 children who want it that day.

I think that is the point i was trying to make but you made it much better than me ;)

Advertisement