Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Everything water charges here] Right To Water Protest 2pm Nov 1st @ Eyre Sq

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Do you drive ? you obviously pay VAT like everyone else, so if you drive and pay motor tax then you are already paying for water treatment to your tap. The last thing IW will be doing is fixing any leaks on the old pipe system, and you can take that to the bank.

Clearly I'm not paying enough as you claim 44% is leaking away. I'm happy to pay for a proper service rather than losing 44% of water that you seem to suggest we should is the way forward.

anybody got any interest?

"R2W Galway BUS TO NATIONAL DEMO Saturday 11th October
    Leaves Galway city centre 10am.Departs Dublin City centre 5.30pm
    Cost €10.50 per seat (seats MUST be reserved asap)
    PLEASE STATE BELOW IF YOU WANT SEAT/S RESERVING. Thanks."

https://www.facebook.com/right2watergalway/posts/1485286515090077?fref=nf

Doesn't leave much time for shopping, does it?

No. I should have made my comment clearer. I was only referring to the old water pipe-system. Sure every person already knows that IW will fix the first leak you have from your property. I am talking about the bigger issue of the old pipe-system regarding 44% of leakage.

You only have to drive around town to see the work on going at the moment. Lower Newcastle, Seamus quirke road , the road from corrib park to the Westwood and Stantalla road all had work done recently that I noticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

You only have to drive around town to see the work on going at the moment. Lower Newcastle, Seamus quirke road , the road from corrib park to the Westwood and Stantalla road all had work done recently that I noticed.

Yes, and they have been fixing the same pipes every few weeks for the last few decades. They seem to think that patching them will sort the problem out as they always do, but those pipes will go again soon as per usual. I see the same thing on the forest road all the time in swords Co. Dublin.

They need to replace the old pipes, and they won't do this. They only quick-patch them as they always done.

Yes, and they have been fixing the same pipes every few weeks for the last few decades. They seem to think that patching them will sort the problem out as they always do, but those pipes will go again soon as per usual. I see the same thing on the forest road all the time in swords Co. Dublin.

They need to replace the old pipes, and they won't do this. They only quick-patch them as they always done.

I saw new pipes.

Your argument about them just patching them previously is exactly why we need a properly ran and funded water service.

• Advertisement

I saw new pipes.

Your argument about them just patching them previously is exactly why we need a properly ran and funded water service.

That should have all been done in the boom years, there was no excuse. I just can't see it happening now though. I'd like to be proven wrong, because paying a second time for this same service while knowing that 44% of the water is wasted in large-scale leaks is a bit depressing.

It's also depressing to see some folk happy to pay for the same service twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The last thing IW will be doing is fixing any leaks on the old pipe system, and you can take that to the bank.
    They won't be fixing any. Deffo!
    Well, time will tell, but I just can't see them fixing the 44% of leakage we already have.
    They might be fixing some, but we don't know yet.
    IW will fix the first leak in your abode, but that's all they will do. They won't fix all of the leaks we have on the old pipe-system though.
    They will be fixing some, but they won't be fixing others.

Didn't take long for that silly argument to unravel. ;)

Phoebas wrote: »
    They won't be fixing any. Deffo!

They might be fixing some, but we don't know yet.

They will be fixing some, but they won't be fixing others.

Didn't take long for that silly argument to unravel. ;)

I already posted that I should have been clearer in my previous post, so I clearly clarified it. So why the nitpicking ?.

You failed to see the main point I was making. As you know already. Do you really think IW are going to replace all old pipes with new ones ? really.

All they are doing is connecting a new pipe where the leak is to an old piping structure, that's all they have been doing.

They need to remove all the old pipes and fully connect new ones to the main system. If they continue to add a new short pipe to an old piping structure then the leaks will continue as the line of old pipes will leak and so on etc...

That should have all been done in the boom years, there was no excuse. I just can't see it happening now though. I'd like to be proven wrong, because paying a second time for this same service while knowing that 44% of the water is wasted in large-scale leaks is a bit depressing.

It's also depressing to see some folk happy to pay for the same service twice.

So your saying keep wasting 44% and do nothing?

So your saying keep wasting 44% and do nothing?

We are already paying for it, for the last 3 decades. Why are some folk here not capable of understanding this valid point ?.

As I said previously, they had the cash in the boom years to fix all of this, but even then they didn't bother.

Ah go on then, just pay the bloody thing twice and let your money flow through a sieve. I am very impressed regarding your trust in IW and in what you think their objectives will be towards the consumer.

Some folk are living in a land of make-believe thinking IW will fix everything and give you an astounding service. Enjoy the fruits of IW as they screw you. Then they will double your water charge after that, no doubt about it.

• Advertisement

I already posted that I should have been clearer in my previous post, so I clearly clarified it. So why the nitpicking ?.
    I understand now.
    When you said that IW won't be fixing any leaks on the old pipe system, (and that we could take that to the bank,) what you really meant was that they wouldn't be replacing all of the old pipes.

We are already paying for it, for the last 3 decades. Why are some folk here not capable of understanding this valid point ?.
    You understand that its an ongoing cost that we have to pay for on a continuing basis, no?

You understand that its an ongoing cost that we have to pay for on a continuing basis, no?

Well, in that case the government should give me back my 5% for the motor-tax I pay, and also lower the VAT because this is what I and most of the country pays towards the water service and treatment. The money is already there to fix this diabolical water-system.

Well, in that case the government should give me back my 5% for the motor-tax I pay, and also lower the VAT because this is what I and most of the country pays towards the water service and treatment. The money is already there to fix this diabolical water-system.
    You should get on to the Dept. of Finance about that - they apparently think we're running a deficit.

You should get on to the Dept. of Finance about that - they apparently think we're running a deficit.

The department of finance :D Noonan :pac: yeah right. He'll just play the worlds smallest violin for me.

MichaelNoonanPlayingTheWorldsSmallestViolinForShatter_zpsa08af3fd.jpg~original

Ireland is still a rich country, but only for the rich, while this austerity ball & chain is stuck to the ordinary person. They see a good recovery already, so they should get to work on replacing the water-pipe-structure.

You understand we don't have the money to pay to fix the leaks and you confirm this yourself since there is 44% of water leaking through the pipes. Irish water will be a properly funded service that will have the resources to tackle the leaks that you say have not being fixed over the last 3 decades. What don't you understand?

You are asking for us not to pay so that we have poor water quality and leaky pipes. I want good quality water with a reliable network and am happy to pay for that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What will the sing-song on the bus be?

You understand we don't have the money to pay to fix the leaks and you confirm this yourself since there is 44% of water leaking through the pipes. Irish water will be a properly funded service that will have the resources to tackle the leaks that you say have not being fixed over the last 3 decades. What don't you understand?

You are asking for us not to pay so that we have poor water quality and leaky pipes. I want good quality water with a reliable network and am happy to pay for that.

Well i hope you get it so, seeing that you are so optimistic.

Phil Collins - I Wish It Would Rain Down.

snubbleste wrote: »

The River, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Stop The Bus, we Want To Wee Wee, Don't Forget Your Shovel (If you want to go to work)

Some Irish folk are brain-dead, they will bend over continuously and take it no matter what, but what is very strange is the amount that want to bend over and take it. Conditioned by a corrupt government for so long maybe.

If every-one didn't pay this extortion, then IW would have no choice but to die. But as long as there are many brain-dead folk willing to pay twice for the same service, then it gives the upper-hand to the government and IW liaison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Some Irish folk are brain-dead, they will bend over continuously and take it no matter what, but what is very strange is the amount that want to bend over and take it. Conditioned by a corrupt government for so long maybe.

If every-one didn't pay this extortion, then IW would have no choice but to die. But as long as there are many brain-dead folk willing to pay twice for the same service, then it gives the upper-hand to the government and IW liaison.

Do you understand what a deficit is? The government are spending more than they are taking in every day. This isn't sustainable. That is why these charges are being brought in, what is so hard to understand about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MadYaker wrote: »
    Do you understand what a deficit is? The government are spending more than they are taking in every day. This isn't sustainable. That is why these charges are being brought in, what is so hard to understand about that?

Yes i can envisage our concerned politicians up in the Dail bar with their tears dripping onto their prawn sandwiches.

I give up here. Some folk just don't have the intelligence to understand what will happen them in the near future. You folk think you are set this year to pay this charge, but you folk will be the one's whining when IW double the charge thereafter. It boggles the mind.

Jesus, id have more luck trying to explain it to my dog.
    Yes i can envisage our concerned politicians up in the Dail bar with their tears dripping onto their prawn sandwiches.

Totally irrelevant post. Are you going to contribute or just post random statements? Do you believe what I said is untrue?
    I give up here. Some folk just don't have the intelligence to understand what will happen them in the near future. You folk think you are set this year to pay this charge, but you folk will be the one's whining when IW double the charge thereafter. It boggles the mind.

Going to double the charge next year are they? What line of reasoning did you use to come to that conclusion?

Jesus, id have more luck trying to explain it to my dog.

Totally irrelevant post. Are you going to contribute or just post random statements? Do you believe what I said is untrue?

Going to double the charge next year are they? What line of reasoning did you use to come to that conclusion?

Every single word you have said is untrue, so there ye go.

So you're saying our country isn't running a budget deficit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Privatization is slippery slope, even though it'll only be semi private at fist, this is how it starts.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Privatization is slippery slope, even though it'll only be semi private at fist, this is how it starts.

But some folk haven't got the intelligence to foresee this scenario unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So you're saying our country isn't running a budget deficit?

So in order to fill the gap we stick even more austerity on the people. I get ya.

No doing away with quangos, downsizing the political establishment or anything else. Just stick it to Johnny.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

But some folk haven't got the intelligence to foresee this scenario unfortunately.
    The majority of the populace understand that water services will be privatised and rates will rise at some point in the future. They also understand that they must pay for a service regardless of whether it has been paid through central government funds until now.
    FF should never have abolished water rates.

Either way, it is good to protest!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement