Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Everything water charges here] Right To Water Protest 2pm Nov 1st @ Eyre Sq

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,483 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

i look forward to exercise my democratic right to protest today, dont need all the answers to every question to do so. some people insist on making life very tough for themselves :rolleyes:

Why the rolley eyes?

Some people have no problem paying for water charges. It might teach some people how to properly conserve it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

i look forward to exercise my democratic right to protest today, dont need all the answers to every question to do so. some people insist on making life very tough for themselves :rolleyes:

But surely you could have one logical reason for protesting. As I said earlier you were probably a big ahern man back in the boom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Why the rolley eyes?

Some people have no problem paying for water charges. It might teach some people how to properly conserve it tbh.

we already pay for water and this extra charge wont help conserve it, when people start conserving irish water will make it more expensive, they've already said so
    ezra_pound wrote: »
    But surely you could have one logical reason for protesting. As I said earlier you were probably a big ahern man back in the boom.

yes i do, to end irish water! and no i was not a big ahern man, i am anti party if i'm honest ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

we already pay for water and this extra charge wont help conserve it, when people start conserving irish water will make it more expensive, they've already said so
    In the same sentence you're both convinced that charging won't help conserve water and worried about the impact if water is conserved :confused:
    they've already said so
    No they didn't (unless 'they' is water charge protesters or speculating commentators)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

Would all the people on the bus (or buses, if that applies) have also been anti LPT at the time, and protested about how unfair that was? Would they have eventually paid the LPT at the non-discounted rate that was offered? Or would they still be doing all they can about getting rid of the LPT, campaigning against it and voting against it, lobbying their local councillors, TD's etc about it?

I very much doubt it, because just like Water Tax, people were horrified by the thought of a tax on their home, but eventually realised that it is the law and as such, if one chooses to live in a country, one can't just pick and choose which laws they choose to obey.

• Advertisement

we already pay for water and this extra charge wont help conserve it, when people start conserving irish water will make it more expensive.

How much did you pay for water last year?
    What was the marginal rate of each extra metre cubed of water you consumed at the end of last year? You are not already paying for water. The state is paying for water.

I think your point re conservation of water offers an insight into the absolute inability of water meter protesters to grasp the simplest of economics. Scary. Explains so much.

Phoebas wrote: »
    What's the prediction for turnout?

Low, considering the pathetic turnout for yesterdays by elections. 30% in Dublin South West, in which AAA'a Paul Murphy's campaign was run on anti water charges.

ratracer wrote: »
    Would all the people on the bus (or buses, if that applies) have also been anti LPT at the time, and protested about how unfair that was? Would they have eventually paid the LPT at the non-discounted rate that was offered? Or would they still be doing all they can about getting rid of the LPT, campaigning against it and voting against it, lobbying their local councillors, TD's etc about it?

I very much doubt it, because just like Water Tax, people were horrified by the thought of a tax on their home, but eventually realised that it is the law and as such, if one chooses to live in a country, one can't just pick and choose which laws they choose to obey.

Exactly.

This is the populist cause of the month.

That's forgetting all the people who always wanted property tax because they know that it's right for the country and the economy and the property market and the efficient allocation of property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Can imagine you lads today, sitting at home blood boiling waiting on the 6 o'clock news so you can give out about the protesters :-)

Can imagine you lads today, sitting at home blood boiling waiting on the 6 o'clock news so you can give out about the protesters :-)

Not at all. I have no problem with people protesting peacefully. However, protesting against water charges is at least a year too late. I fear the protest will be hijacked by other minority groups and it will descend into farce. Looking at some Facebook pages, people are gathering to protest about everything form water charges, to flouride in water, to evictions, to austerity.....The list seems endless. The message will be diluted and lost in the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Apparently both protesters will be interviewed on TV.

It would be funny it if transpired that Irish Water had organised the event to given them some peace to install meters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

This argument that we are paying for water twice is a nonsense. We currently have a budget deficit, we don't pay enough in tax to fund our government welfare programs and services. We can't be paying for something twice when we aren't even paying for it once yet. We have to borrow every year to provide these services.

Also the money allocated every year from central funds for water is clearly no where near enough since so much of our water is lost to leaks. So even during the boom we were weren't paying enough for the water system from government funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Low, considering the pathetic turnout for yesterdays by elections. 30% in Dublin South West, in which AAA'a Paul Murphy's campaign was run on anti water charges.

He's actually in a slight lead at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

we already pay for water
    no we don't. They only started charging for water since the start of the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

What's the prediction for turnout?

Around 15,000

Around 15,000

That'd be a good turnout alright. I wonder did they sell all the seats on the bus.

You really have to question the mind-set of some folk here, they are so adamant and delighted to pay for water twice. Why would this be the case ? are they soo conditioned by corrupt government that they just comply blindly ? or do they have an agenda with/in relation to IW.

It boggles the mind to think that some folk believe that IW will make the whole water system magically perfect while they are robbing you.

That'd be a good turnout alright. I wonder did they sell all the seats on the bus.

It's predicted that 15,000 will turn up but according to some...it could be much more. Sure we'll soon see later.

It's predicted that 15,000 will turn up but according to some...it could be much more. Sure we'll soon see later.

We'll have the usual 'official Garda figures are x, organisers claim y'.

Any less than 100,000 is a failure.

• Advertisement

I would actually agree with this. It really needs a lot more than 15,000. Time will tell.

For it to have any chance of real impact on government policy at this late stage you'd need to have 100k, but even 15,000 would be larger than the HHC/LPT protests.

The traffic cameras show a decent enough turnout, but its hard to estimate from them.

For it to have any chance of real impact on government policy at this late stage you'd need to have 100k, but even 15,000 would be larger than the HHC/LPT protests.

The traffic cameras show a decent enough turnout, but its hard to estimate from them.

Have you got a link for the webcam regarding this march ? I can't find a working one. Cheers.

There's around one hundred thousand now. Great turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

There's around one hundred thousand now. Great turnout.

Gardai estimates put the figure at 30,000.

jh79 wrote: »
    Gardai estimates put the figure at 30,000.

The Gardai don't, and never had an estimate. They said this below...
    The gardaí would not confirm the numbers of today’s protest, stating that they would not be making an estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

The Gardai don't, and never had an estimate. They said this below...

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/1011/651606-water-charges/

According to rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

So according to the Gardai estimates 0.67% of the population turned out today and I would trust the Gardai figures, as they used to estimating crowds. I cant understand why these people decided to disrupt Dublin today, to protest over something they cant change. The budget for 2015 is finalised and today even with 450,000 people could not change the water charges for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 51,935 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

hfallada wrote: »
    So according to the Gardai estimates 0.67% of the population turned out today and I would trust the Gardai figures, as they used to estimating crowds. I cant understand why these people decided to disrupt Dublin today, to protest over something they cant change. The budget for 2015 is finalised and today even with 450,000 people could not change the water charges for next year

Spoken like a true blue.
    I'd say daddy is proud of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,483 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

hfallada wrote: »

If 2 million turned out to protest you can be sure it'd be changed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement