Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Everything water charges here] Right To Water Protest 2pm Nov 1st @ Eyre Sq

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

dloob wrote: »
    I thought Mairead Farrell was claiming credit for it anyway.

Whether I agree with her or not, I can at least appreciate she used her vote at council the way she said she would when she got elected. Cllr Cubbard did not, perhaps because he realised the council would be bankrupt without LPT, however he would have known this before he printed his election material saying he was against it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

ratracer wrote: »
    Whether I agree with her or not, I can at least appreciate she used her vote at council the way she said she would when she got elected. Cllr Cubbard did not, perhaps because he realised the council would be bankrupt without LPT, however he would have known this before he printed his election material saying he was against it.

Mairead has the backing and support of a party before during and after her election, Mike is independent, give him a chance will ye

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Mairead has the backing and support of a party before during and after her election, Mike is independent, give him a chance will ye

Ok Mike we'll give you a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

You were elected, that is your chance..... Do as you promised in your election campaign and the voters might re-elect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Maybe I should ask here - our household has received no contact regarding these water charges or water meters etc. Haven't received a pack or anything to sign and so on. Obviously I won't be chasing the council up about this but is it normal?

• Advertisement

Ok Mike we'll give you a chance

lol
    ratracer wrote: »
    You were elected, that is your chance..... Do as you promised in your election campaign and the voters might re-elect you.

so you've held fine gael and labour to their election promises too? they're on massive wages, loads of expenses, huge pensions that kick in well before retirement age etc etc. :rolleyes:

Mike Cubbard = Renegademaster? i'll just leave this here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85355728 and tell ye I know Mike Cubbard and he's most definitely not a DJ and is not prepared to setup a sound system outside the Dail and play belting drum and bass outside of it for the day ;)

Intifada wrote: »
    Maybe I should ask here - our household has received no contact regarding these water charges or water meters etc. Haven't received a pack or anything to sign and so on. Obviously I won't be chasing the council up about this but is it normal?

it's not normal but I have spoken to a good few people who haven't received anything yet we're all being charged since the start of the month. LOLz

following on from the largest protest in decades last weekend in the capital the plan is to take to the streets in every city, town and village in Ireland.

if you were there last Saturday I know you'll be out again on Nov 1st and will have more people with you too. If you couldn't make it on Saturday, working, babysitting, broke, whatever, hopefully ye can make it the next day and together we'll defeat this unfair double tax.

We clearly have this government on the ropes, now it's time to finish them! They see us now :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Will they switch the fountain on?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Will they switch the fountain on?

if they do it will be some craic :pac:

• Advertisement

Right To clean and a sustainable Water system Protest 2pm Nov 1st @ home.

whatever gordo, you are entitled to do what you like and not everyone can be expected to make it, thankfully many hundreds of thousands have decided they've had enough now and are willing to try do something about it, you're more than welcome to join us anytime ya like... :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

It's nothing but a tax... You really honestly think they're going to fix all the leaks... Remember 60% is been lost through leaks on the council side of the system...

Doom wrote: »
    It's nothing but a tax... You really honestly think they're going to fix all the leaks... Remember 60% is been lost through leaks on the council side of the system...

It's the same old nonsense. Your solution to 60% leaks ( it was 44% on the other thread) is to do nothing. At least iw are committed to reducing this amount.

It's the same old nonsense. Your solution to 60% leaks ( it was 44% on the other thread) is to do nothing. At least iw are committed to reducing this amount.

sure they will :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-well-repair-leaks-but-youll-have-to-find-them-29882238.html

HOMEOWNERS hit with enormous water bills because of leaks will have to identify the problem themselves to avail of a "first fix free" scheme.

The Irish Independent has learned that people will have just a year to identify a problem with their supply that is resulting in very high bills, after which they will be obliged to pay for repairs themselves.
    The Government believes as many as one-in-10 homes -- or more than 100,000 properties -- will need leaks repaired when water charges are introduced from October 1 next.
    But Environment Minister Phil Hogan confirmed that the Government's first-fix-free policy will place the onus on homeowners to identify a problem and will only apply for 12 months after charges are introduced. After that, it would be up to the homeowner to fund the repairs, he said.

sure they will :rolleyes:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-well-repair-leaks-but-youll-have-to-find-them-29882238.html

HOMEOWNERS hit with enormous water bills because of leaks will have to identify the problem themselves to avail of a "first fix free" scheme.

The Irish Independent has learned that people will have just a year to identify a problem with their supply that is resulting in very high bills, after which they will be obliged to pay for repairs themselves.
    The Government believes as many as one-in-10 homes -- or more than 100,000 properties -- will need leaks repaired when water charges are introduced from October 1 next.
    But Environment Minister Phil Hogan confirmed that the Government's first-fix-free policy will place the onus on homeowners to identify a problem and will only apply for 12 months after charges are introduced. After that, it would be up to the homeowner to fund the repairs, he said.

once again this is a mistruth. This only covers any leak from the meter to your house. The vast majority of leaks are elsewhere in the system and will always be the responsibility of iw to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

once again this is a mistruth. This only covers any leak from the meter to your house. The vast majority of leaks are elsewhere in the system and will always be the responsibility of iw to fix.

Surely IW should fix EVERY leak that occurs between the Meter and the House? How is this the responsibility of the owner at all to fix anything not on 'their own' property?

It also raises an interesting point re waste that I have experienced in a house I lived in. The 'Council' drain system blocked up on the main pipe in the heavy rains once. It was so bad that it backed up waste into people's property and under their drains. The council freed the main pipe, but the blockages made by this didn't free up.
    Guess what happened? The landlords or householders had to then pay for their own plumbers as the "fault was not on council property", even though it caused the issue How was that fair?

Sure they are... Looks like they only interested in high salaries for themselves and jobs for pals in the councils... Would care to defend John Tierney and his previous input into projects like Galways eyre Sq and Dublin Poolbeg? Watch Irish Water turn into a ****up

inisboffin wrote: »
    Surely IW should fix EVERY leak that occurs between the Meter and the House? How is this the responsibility of the owner at all to fix anything not on 'their own' property?

It also raises an interesting point re waste that I have experienced in a house I lived in. The 'Council' drain system blocked up on the main pipe in the heavy rains once. It was so bad that it backed up waste into people's property and under their drains. The council freed the main pipe, but the blockages made by this didn't free up.
    Guess what happened? The landlords or householders had to then pay for their own plumbers as the "fault was not on council property", even though it caused the issue How was that fair?

Most of the land from the meter to the property in the majority of cases is in fact "their own" property. If you have a problem with the wiring in your house the esb won't fix it you have to get it fixed yourself. If there is a electricity fault outside your house the esb will fix it without any charge. It's the same with water.

Sure they are... Looks like they only interested in high salaries for themselves and jobs for pals in the councils... Would care to defend John Tierney and his previous input into projects like Galways eyre Sq and Dublin Poole? Watch Irish Water turn into a ****up

Not sure why you quoted my message when you decided to post this waffling rant?

• Advertisement

he was pointing out IW's priorities, did you really need that explained to you?

You should bow out of this thread gracefully... You're all alone in your support for IW... And to be honest a bit of a troll in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're all alone in your support for IW...

Not true.

I'm certainly a supporter of the concept of a national agency for water management: it's ridiculous that county councils, some of whose terriroty is barely larger than a postage stamp (Leitrim, I'm looking at you) should have to maintain separate water infrastructure. Water supply is a nationa issue, and economies of scale are the way to go.

Now I'm not certan that IW have got things right - or that it's possible for them to do so initially, particularly given the political games being played by local big-mouths all over the country. But it's a step in the right direction.

And I have as much time for the notion that water should intrinsically be government provided and free as I do for the idea that food (another human essential) should be nationalised and free.

Bringing this post back to Galway: I won't be protesting in Eyre Square on Saturday, but I might come up and take pictures of you.

Most of the land from the meter to the property in the majority of cases is in fact "their own" property. If you have a problem with the wiring in your house the esb won't fix it you have to get it fixed yourself. If there is a electricity fault outside your house the esb will fix it without any charge. It's the same with water.

And the ESB meter is generally on the wall of your house, so ESB will have to find any faults while it's running through your land to to the box... IW and councils were very clever to place the meter outside on the path because they were aware that they could negate liability for leaks and bad building regs (council planners again) .... Sure the meter installation companies have caused even more leakage in the system again.

Not true.

I'm certainly a supporter of the concept of a national agency for water management: it's ridiculous that county councils, some of whose terriroty is barely larger than a postage stamp (Leitrim, I'm looking at you) should have to maintain separate water infrastructure. Water supply is a nationa issue, and economies of scale are the way to go.

Now I'm not certan that IW have got things right - or that it's possible for them to do so initially, particularly given the political games being played by local big-mouths all over the country. But it's a step in the right direction.

And I have as much time for the notion that water should intrinsically be government provided and free as I do for the idea that food (another human essential) should be nationalised and free.

Bringing this post back to Galway: I won't be protesting in Eyre Square on Saturday, but I might come up and take pictures of you.

Photos for me.. Why? For your '**** bank'
    ;-)
    Come up and say hi first... I might pose for you.
    If you like to be double taxed... Fair play to you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

And the ESB meter is generally on the wall of your house, so ESB will have to find any faults while it's running through your land to to the box... IW and councils were very clever to place the meter outside on the path because they were aware that they could negate liability for leaks and bad building regs (council planners again) .... Sure the meter installation companies have caused even more leakage in the system again.

They placed the meters outside on the path because that's where the tap controlling the flow into your house is. And water charges aren't a double tax, they won't be paid through general taxation anymore so you pay once, based on what you use. Not twice.

If there's a leak on your property (between the meter and your house) then it's your job to find it and IW will fix it for you if you find it within a year? Have I got that right? That sounds fair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

The professional protestors are out in force it seems. I suppose it's been a while since their Occupy bandwagon was wound up.

Ye seem to think there's some massive groundswell of rage against the water meters when in fact, AT MOST 100k people turned up in Dublin on Saturday. The thing about all these protests is that ye fail to come up with alternatives. For instance, let's say Irish Water is wound up, meters removed and all that, where do we get the couple of hundred million to make up the deficit? Do we default on our debt to the IMF? Maybe we should hammer Social Welfare to make up the deficit? It's all well and good protesting but when there's no viable alternative strategies (as per usual), it's hard for the rest of us to care.

Not true.

lol, if i had a euro for everytime i've heard this the last few years, and if someone took away those euros again for each no-show i'd have nothing

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Ye seem to think there's some massive groundswell of rage against the water meters when in fact, AT MOST 100k people turned up in Dublin on Saturday. The thing about all these protests is that ye fail to come up with alternatives. For instance, let's say Irish Water is wound up, meters removed and all that, where do we get the couple of hundred million to make up the deficit? Do we default on our debt to the IMF? Maybe we should hammer Social Welfare to make up the deficit? It's all well and good protesting but when there's no viable alternative strategies (as per usual), it's hard for the rest of us to care.

you were there were ya? let me direct you to this simple map below

http://postimg.org/image/416jg13gp/

we started by parnell st at 1.45 and by 3pm we reached the turn to go towards o connell st and the front of the march had already reached the Dail, by the time the front made it around stephens green and back up towards o connell bridge and met with the protestors still heading for the dail that was 4km long. when the front made it to the stage setup on o connell st crowds were still heading for the dail and that was 5km long from start to finish!

the nov 2010 protest that forced fianna fail to call general elections had up to 150,000 on o connell st so please excuse me if i don't listen to your crowd estimations seeing as how you weren't there 4 years ago and you weren't there last saturday either.

next!!

• Advertisement

MadYaker wrote: »
    They placed the meters outside on the path because that's where the tap controlling the flow into your house is. And water charges aren't a double tax, they won't be paid through general taxation anymore so you pay once, based on what you use. Not twice.

If there's a leak on your property (between the meter and your house) then it's your job to find it and IW will fix it for you if you find it within a year? Have I got that right? That sounds fair to me.

Water has been paid for in general taxation...now they have water charges.
    Double taxation explained:
    Water services through general tax.
    + water charges (a tax).
    =double tax

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement