Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I said Hello Mary Lou

• 14-10-2014 7:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭

Was she thrown out of the Dail today?

My FB seems to indicate that she was, but I have no idea whether she asked to leave or whah????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

theres a video clip on this - she broke standing order 45 - whatever the hell that is

https://amp.twimg.com/v/9ec95643-eac5-447a-b73c-c4eee630efd1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Yes, Oscar nomination on the way.

that clip misses out the other few minutes beforehand where she was handing enda his re-fried arse, which is why she believes it to be a biased intervention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Dont agree with SF on most issues but in this occasion i felt the "Chair" was totally out of order. He does nothing when TDs are acting like school children roaring across the chamber but fail to address the chair making a speech and he intervenes creating a totally unnecessary row.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

maccored wrote: »
    theres a video clip on this - she broke standing order 45 - whatever the hell that is

broke a standing order? you know i thought i felt something going askew here in Ireland this afternoon, thankfully it was taken care of right away and we can all go about our day. burn the witch! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The Govt has began to implode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

Lol. Just watched the clip. Was she speaking directly to Edna or what? Sure, they're always addressing each other!!! First time I've seen anyone removed from the dail for it though!

she was eating him alive at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

The Govt has began to implode.

oh please god

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

I was watching it. She roasted FG and Enda and as she was winding up she basically said to Enda 'if you have bothered listen to any of this' at which point the chair intervened and said that she had to address her commentary through the chair. She said that the chair's intervention was unnecessary and biased. The chair indignantly asked her to withdraw remark or leave so she left. Funnily enough the independents who each got a 5 minute slot straight afterwards addressed their cutting remarks directly to Enda without censure. I can't make head or tail of it at all!
    Also agree with earlier poster. The constant interruptions, buffoonery, snide juvenile remarks, and general gob****ery coming from the backbenchers shows many of them up to be complete clowns. God help us if they ever had to really represent their constituents at more than parish hall level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

LMGTFY

Precedence of Chair: Whenever the Ceann Comhairle rises during a debate, any member then speaking, or offering to speak, shall resume his or her seat.

In other news:
    SINN Féin Deputy Leader Mary Lou McDonald spent last night writing out 200 lines as punishment for talking back to the Speaker of Dáil Eireann, it has been revealed.

The heated exchange took place as Ms. McDonald addressed the Taoiseach following yesterday’s Budget announcements, during which Ceann Comhairle Sean Barrett ordered her to obey standing order 45, which states that a member of parliament must address the chair and not a member of another party.

Annoyed that her speech had been cut short for what she later described as “some bull****”, Mary Lou then accused the speaker of bias against the opposition, at which point she was asked to leave the chambers.

Slow motion replays of the incident show the Dublin Central suspiciously scratching her eye with an extended middle finger while addressing the Ceann Comhairle, resulting in her being given lines to write out as punishment.

“Sinn Féin has had to watch every other party take turns ruining this country, but I’m the one who gets crap to write out? That is way harsh,” said Ms. McDonald, who had to miss the first half of the Ireland vs. Germany match because she was doing her lines.

“It took me nearly an hour, and my wrist is pure killing me. That Ceann Comhairle just has it in for me. 200 lines just for talking back to him? Paul Gogarty only got 20 lines to write out that time he told Emmett Stagg to go **** himself”.

In an effort to cut down on the time spent writing out her punishment Mary Lou is believed to have taped two pieces of chalk together, a trick taught to her by Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams, who pioneered the technique when writing out “I must not tell fibs about my involvement in the IRA” 500 times in the mid-nineties.

He rose to tell her to address the chair. fair enough, but as anyone who watches Dail proceedings can tell you, people rarely address the chair and there never seems to be a hassle. She was right - it was a biased intervention as the ex FG Ceann Comhairle came to the aid of poor wee Enda, who was getting a roasting.
    LMGTFY

Precedence of Chair: Whenever the Ceann Comhairle rises during a debate, any member then speaking, or offering to speak, shall resume his or her seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

He rose to tell her to address the chair. fair enough, but as anyone who watches Dail proceedings can tell you, people rarely address the chair and there never seems to be a hassle. She was right - it was a biased intervention as the ex FG Ceann Comhairle came to the aid of poor wee Enda, who was getting a roasting.
    That's not the point. She was warned and she didn't respect the warning. She was doing what she always does and was acting like a disrespectful child having a tantrum.

She had no valid point but instead rabbited on the same nonsense she always does.

She actually finished up quite quickly, saying it was a biased intervention. that IS the point.
    That's not the point. She was warned and she didn't respect the warning. She was doing what she always does and was acting like a disrespectful child having a tantrum.

She had no valid point but instead rabbited on the same nonsense she always does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Obvious stunt by Mary Lou. Shinners love that stuff. Mary Lou sticking it to the govt.

Derren Brown watch out, the way she got the Ceann Comhairle to butt in. Thats jedi mind control that is.
    Obvious stunt by Mary Lou. Shinners love that stuff. Mary Lou sticking it to the govt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭gunny558

I watched that clip and in fairness, he interrupted her for a couple of seconds after which she could have got back to whatever it was she was saying but instead she reacted very flippantly and then accused him off being biased.

He was obviously insulted at that accusation and gave her her options: either leave the chamber, or take that remark back and carry on with the debate....

She chose to leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Once you accept the Ceann Comhairle's rulings you will not be able to do it according to your rules. You will have to go according to their rules and they can stand up and gang up on you, and put you outside in the street and keep you outside in the street.

Prophetic words by Ruairi O Bradaigh in 1986

gunny558 wrote: »
    I watched that clip and in fairness, he interrupted her for a couple of seconds after which she could have got back to whatever it was she was saying but instead she reacted very flippantly and then accused him off being biased.

He was obviously insulted at that accusation and gave her her options: either leave the chamber, or take that remark back and carry on with the debate....

She chose to leave.

She didn't choose to leave. She chose not to be a gov puppet & was punished for it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

She didn't choose to leave. She chose not to be a gov puppet & was punished for it.

Just so we're clear: does this mean that if SF ever get into power, there won't be standing orders in the Dáil?

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Just so we're clear: does this mean that if SF ever get into power, there won't be standing orders in the Dáil?

Whatever mate this was just clear bias against Republicans just as Ruairi O Bradaigh predicted would happen.

There's been political discrimination against Republicans since this state was founded. Section 31 being the most blatant act of discrimination against them, the British didn't even go that far with that draconian piece of legislation & they were the ones fighting a war against them.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Whatever mate...
    No, seriously. There seems to be a great deal of outrage at the fact that Mary Lou was sanctioned for breaking the standing orders of the house. If you're outraged at that, it's either because you don't believe there should be standing orders, or that Sinn Féin should be exempt from them.

Which is it?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    No, seriously. There seems to be a great deal of outrage at the fact that Mary Lou was sanctioned for breaking the standing orders of the house. If you're outraged at that, it's either because you don't believe there should be standing orders, or that Sinn Féin should be exempt from them.

Which is it?

I believe Sinn Fein should be subject to the same rules of the House as all other parties. I don't believe however they should be discriminated against for their political beliefs. Nice side stepping the other points I made btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I believe Sinn Fein should be subject to the same rules of the House as all other parties. I don't believe however they should be discriminated against for their political beliefs. Nice side stepping the other points I made btw.

So you agree that SF should have the rules of the house applied to them. Then what's your issue here? She broke the rules and was told to retract them or leave. She left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

she was eating him alive at the time.

She has the easiest job in the world on budget day. All she has to do is jump on board the populist bandwagon, complain about government measure without having to offer any realistic alternatives as she knows they will never be tested and just tell the people what they want to hear knowing that it will get her and her party votes....which is exactly what she did. I just wish Mary Lou, Pearce were as critical of Sinn Fein in government up north as they are of the government here.

What..????? So a simple "sorry, that was uncalled for, it wont happen again" would have made her a government puppet?

the point, I believe, is that yes - she was technically wrong as she didnt speak through the chair. but thats why she said the interruption was biased. other people talk freely in the same way she did, addressing others directly - or thats what her claim is - without being repremanded. to be honest, ive often seen that happening without interruption. I wonder, if she had been very nice to Enda, would she have been brought up on it. Probably not.

Besides - who cares at this stage?
    gunny558 wrote: »
    What..????? So a simple "sorry, that was uncalled for, it wont happen again" would have made her a government puppet?

Lockstep wrote: »
    So you agree that SF should have the rules of the house applied to them. Then what's your issue here? She broke the rules and was told to retract them or leave. She left.

No, no she was kicked out. She was told to make a choice & if she made the wrong choice she would be kicked out. The Ceann Comhairle & FG are clearly out to get Republicans & make them crawl. This would never happen to anyone on the other side of the side house. The Ceann Comhairle wanted her to abandon her principles. To a Republican that's like being asked to give up your baby or shorten your lunch by 5 minutes. The Ceann Comhairle should be replaced he's clearly bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

No, no she was kicked out. She was told to make a choice & if she made the wrong choice she would be kicked out. The Ceann Comhairle & FG are clearly out to get Republicans & make them crawl. This would never happen to anyone on the other side of the side house. The Ceann Comhairle wanted her to abandon her principles. To a Republican that's like being asked to give up your baby or shorten your lunch by 5 minutes. The Ceann Comhairle should be replaced he's clearly bias.

Bet she wished she was asked to leave the chamber today as well.

She looked rightly embarrassed sitting beside Gerry as he tried to explain away SF/IRA's Kangaroo Court Justice system and relocation programme for rapists and child-molesters.

Poor Mary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Surely we are all republicans in R of I.

When did SF become entitled to exclusive use of that title?

nuac wrote: »

Its funny hearing this crap all the time. Even in this thread go back a page and we have Darky Hughes saying "There's been a political discrimination against Republicans since this state was founded"..... I guess these lads have never seen a FF logo :rolleyes:

Actually on a related note, 3 days ago Micheal Martin was giving a talk (think it was a Wolfe Tone rememberence or some such) and during it he said Sinn Fein dont even meet the basic requirments to call themselves republicans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

You're right. It's all a mad conspiracy against SF. How dare they be expected to abide by the rules of the Dáil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You're right. It's all a mad conspiracy against SF. How dare they be expected to abide by the rules of the Dáil.

Well they (and their sometimes buddies/sometimes themselves) generally haven't abided by the usual rules most other places so why expect something different when they sit in the Dáil.

Just be thankful they haven't decided to setup a few kangaroo court sessions in Leinster House or have some of their buddies dispensing punishment beatings out the back.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

jmayo wrote: »
    Well they (and their sometimes buddies/sometimes themselves) generally haven't abided by the usual rules most other places so why expect something different when they sit in the Dáil.

Just be thankful they haven't decided to setup a few kangaroo court sessions in Leinster House or have some of their buddies dispensing punishment beatings out the back.

I assume your being ironic considering enda Kenny set himself up as judge. Jury and executioner yesterday and in setting up another fail committee which will be loaded in FG favor.

Strangely ironic too how after two weeks of this story breaking he takes the unprecedented step of invite the victim from another juristiction ,personally into Leinster house while he constantly ignores the o keeffe pleas and fails to implement the child protection act especially when there are still thousands of teachers still to be Garda vetted after years of waiting they should be given priority .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

All parties should be treated equally that's what democracy is based on not cronyism from the chair who knows what side his bread and expenses are buttered on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Mary Lou is very upfront about calling for various Ministers to resign at any screw up but is very reluctant to hear of any wrongdoing by people in her own party!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

So by that large, all encompassing yardstick, Connor Cruise O'Brien would have been a republican ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Areyouwell wrote: »
    So by that large, all encompassing yardstick, Connor Cruise O'Brien would have been a republican ya?

Depends on what you mean by a republican. SF/IRA and FF have ascribed that moniker to themselves but that doesn't mean they are republicans.

davycc wrote: »
    All parties should be treated equally that's what democracy is based on not cronyism from the chair who knows what side his bread and expenses are buttered on..

How exactly was he engaging in "cronyism"? Please expand on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

There are plenty of people who want Ireland to rejoin the commonwealth, thus ending the Republic.

They can be relied to vote for Fine Gael at election time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

DuMorph wrote: »
    There are plenty of people who want Ireland to rejoin the commonwealth, thus ending the Republic.

Eh, there are already 32 Republics in the Commonwealth. Not sure why Ireland would lose it's status as a republic by joining that club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

What an absolutely ridiculous statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

You're a gas young lad.

Meanwhile the sex offenders will vote for SF. The excitement of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Godge wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by a republican. SF/IRA and FF have ascribed that moniker to themselves but that doesn't mean they are republicans.

By Republican, I mean those who proactively pursue a United Ireland. Sinn Fein clearly do, but I would have thought it was pretty obvious FF don't.

By Republican, I mean those who proactively pursue a United Ireland. Sinn Fein clearly do, but I would have thought it was pretty obvious FF don't.

Emmm..... have you never seen the FF consititution? The very first point:
    To secure in peace and agreement the unity of Ireland and its people.

And secondly do you even know what a Republican actually is? I'll give you a hint, it has nothing to do with wanting a United Ireland.

A Republican could easily oppose a United Ireland....

and likewise,

....a non-Republican could easily support the idea of United Ireland with Mary Lou installed as Queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Mary Lou showing her self up as usual. No class, intelligence or manners, embarrassing to see her moving to the forefront of Irish politics. Don't even mention her vision on economics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Pan-nationalism (with territorial ambitions) historically tends to be a trait more of monarchical factions than republican in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Pan-nationalism (with territorial ambitions) historically tends to be a trait more of monarchical factions than republican in all honesty.

Sinn Fein was, of course, a monarchical party to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

That is a slur on the word "republican".

• Advertisement
Advertisement