Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Can a quad be made road legal in the ROI.

• 14-10-2014 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Can you get a tax book for a quad if you have none for it and if so how would i go about getting
    it. I just want a tax book for it so i can get in and out to school. Can anyone help with this problem.

Its a 110cc madcat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭bigroad

Licence and insurance please Sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Not possible unless you have ECWVTA cert, not usually provided with Chinese quads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Even if you can get a reg cert getting insurance is nearly impossible. I think they can only go onto farm policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

I think I remember them stopping quads been used on the roads here a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Quads are legal once registered, have working lights, Insurance and licence to ride.

They use quads around Dublin spraying weeds.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You can no longer register a quad for road use. They stopped it a few years ago. If you can get one that was registered when it was allowed, you would need to find an insurer willing to cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

2008 afaik was the cut off point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Very worrying that a whole class of vehicles can be made illegal on a whim of the powers that be.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

The lads on raptors worrying cars up the dublin Wicklow mountains caused that

If they weren't street legal to begin with, then what's the point of changing the law?

If they were, then the Road Traffic Act has plenty of ways to lose your licence if you take the mickey.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

It's all to do with type approval and construction and use regs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I could be wrong, as I have absolutely no link to rules or anything, but I saw some quads at the vintage run of the Skerries Races last year and I'm almost certain they were registered and driven there...

If they were pre-2008 and street legal then, they're still legal now.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If they weren't street legal to begin with, then what's the point of changing the law?

If they were, then the Road Traffic Act has plenty of ways to lose your licence if you take the mickey.

That would be the logical way of dealing with it, but in this country they penalise the majority do deal with irresponsible minorities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭9935452

Can you get a tax book for a quad if you have none for it and if so how would i go about getting
    it. I just want a tax book for it so i can get in and out to school. Can anyone help with this problem.

Its a 110cc madcat.

Forget about trying to register a quad. it just wont happen anymore.
    There are a few appearing on donedeal though all 2008 or older.
    Getting insurance for one could be a problem for you . FBD will insure it for farm use only, can be used on the road but open drive over 25 on a car license. Tax is nearly 200 for the year.

Other issues you could have are , if you use it to go to school, everyone will want a spin on it, and the other problem i see is the thing will get stolen

Advertisement