Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New footbridge

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Through the lock. That's what it was put there for.....

The bridge is crossing over from Arthur's Quay so it's going to obstruct boats going through the lock unless it's very high span or has an opening section, but I can't see those options being a runner ....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

zulutango wrote: »
    The bridge is crossing over from Arthur's Quay so it's going to obstruct boats going through the lock unless it's very high span or has an opening section, but I can't see those options being a runner ....

According to Michael Noonan it will run from the rowing club. That pic you posted doesn't show the starting point.

According to Michael Noonan it will run from the rowing club. That pic you posted doesn't show the starting point.

The Sunday Business Post gave more details, and it says that it will go from Arthur's Quay. Also, the pic shows it coming from the direction of Arthur's Quay. Look closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Is that an official pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Predictable enough really. Very brash and shouty! Clearly going for maximum impact!

"Tis all shiny and curvy. Sure the locals will only love it!"

From that image the structure seems to swing over towards Arthur's Quay alright.

• Advertisement

pigtown wrote: »
    Is that an official pic?

I presume so. The city council's communications officer posted it on Twitter, and it seems to follow the route suggested by various news articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭1qTour

Bridge me arse

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

Alan English (Editor of the Leader) tweeted this

The Limerick Leader is in the shops and it has three concept images on the front page, including the two posted here. It doesn't seem to be online yet, but it seems that the bridge doesn't actually follow the weir, and also that its location is subject to change! The images show it connecting with the island at Merchant's Quay. So, basically, it is duplicating the existing footbridge, and won't connect people with King John's Castle any more than the existing route does.

It also has the incorrect figure of €6 million, when the council are on the record as saying it could be €16 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Alan English (Editor of the Leader) tweeted this

thats hideous :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

thats hideous :mad:

I wouldn't get too mad, considering the project has not gone out to tender yet.

The Limerick Leader is now reporting the estimated cost to be €18 million, which is three times the figure bandied about a few months ago.

The Limerick Leader is now reporting the estimated cost to be €18 million, which is three times the figure bandied about a few months ago.

No, actually it's pretty similar to the price that you yourself previously posted about here
    It just beggars belief that so much money (up to €17 million according to the Sunday Business Post) is going to be directed at a project that nobody, literally nobody, in the city ever looked for, and this money is going to be given ahead of so many far more deserving projects that the Council is supposed to be pursuing!!

and here
    It also has the incorrect figure of €6 million, when the council are on the record as saying it could be €16 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Jesus H. Christ. 16million on a bridge nobody needs when our nearest A&E is in crisis due to overcapacity.

Have these idiots any sense of getting their priorities right?

Jesus H. Christ. 16million on a bridge nobody needs when our nearest A&E is in crisis due to overcapacity.

Have these idiots any sense of getting their priorities right?

While I don't disagree that the bridge is unnecessary, the HSE budget isn't going to be affected by this in any way, whether it's built or not.

No, actually it's pretty similar to the price that you yourself previously posted about here

That's my point. The Limerick leader were repeatedly saying it was €6 million because they weren't digging too deep into the press release put out by the council and Michael Noonan. Generally the figure being bandied around was €6 million and it was based on the Leader reporting.

The figure I quoted here was what I saw in a small piece printed in The Sunday Business Post and I was drawing attention to the fact that the Leader figure was inaccurate. They've figured that out for themselves now, it seems.

Obviously the cost of it has huge bearing on whether it should go ahead or not, so it's good that the real figure is being reported by the local rag at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

While I don't disagree that the bridge is unnecessary, the HSE budget isn't going to be affected by this in any way, whether it's built or not.

It is about priorities though. I admit my choice of the A&E was a poor example though, I know throwing money at it isn't the solution.

But think about this for a minute, how many more useless projects like this are going on around the country. We don't have this kind of money to be frittering away on vanity projects that have zero return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Im not anti development but i Wish they'd take care of what we already before building another questionable amenieties. They could spend some of it on tidying up the weeds and moss growing along paths, out of the bridges, and out of buildings and make the city loose some of its forgotten feeling. The state of the cap along the bridge walls is terrible. The Dock Road, one of main city approaches is so dismal, they spent thousands on the boardwalk by the Clarion hotel and never maintained it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Im not anti development but i Wish they'd take care of what we already before building another questionable amenieties. They could spend some of it on tidying up the weeds and moss growing along paths, out of the bridges, and out of buildings and make the city loose some of its forgotten feeling. The state of the cap along the bridge walls is terrible. The Dock Road, one of main city approaches is so dismal, they spent thousands on the boardwalk by the Clarion hotel and never maintained it.

+1

The council do a rubbish job at maintaining streets and street furniture.

Advertisement