Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Dublin Buses?

• 14-10-2014 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Feel free to close if this has been covered elsewhere but has anyone else seen new style Dublin Bus buses around town?

Saw two yesterday. One was a green hybrid but I only got a glimpse of it. Then I saw a fancy-looking number 9 with glass running down along the stairs.

Can't find anything on the DB site or here... Am I going mad?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Saw the 9 myself, my girlfriend was in one and said the interior was completely different. No ads or anything on the side, possibly a trial?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

These are two demonstration vehicles, one on the 9 and one on the 151.

In the meantime, deliveries of 70 new vehicles are continuing, in the normal livery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

lxflyer wrote: »
    In the meantime, deliveries of 80 new vehicles are continuing, in the normal livery.

As in, 80 of the new type in the ordinary colours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think I saw one of those on the 7 route today in normal DB livery. The thing that caught my eye were "inverted eyebrow" shaped LED DRL's.

• Advertisement

As in, 80 of the new type in the ordinary colours?
    Alun wrote: »
    I think I saw one of those on the 7 route today in normal DB livery. The thing that caught my eye were "inverted eyebrow" shaped LED DRL's.

There are 70 "SG" Class buses currently on delivery in standard Dublin Bus livery, initially in Donnybrook and Phibsboro, on routes 7, 7b, 7d, 8 and 37.

The two demonstrators are two different types of vehicles, with the one on the 151 being a hybrid. The one on the 9 is a standard demonstrator model of the model now being delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

lxflyer wrote: »
    These are two demonstration vehicles, one on the 9 and one on the 151.

In the meantime, deliveries of 80 new vehicles are continuing, in the normal livery.

The White Demo ends it's stay this Friday 17th and will return to it's UK homeland soon after....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Csalem

Demonstrator/DM 1:
    14498762073_9b16d4d93e_c.jpgDM 1 O'Connell Street 20/06/14 by Csalem's Lot, on Flickr

Demonstrator/DM 2:
    14456594930_5be7ec21cf_c.jpgSecond time lucky? DM2 Amiens Street 12/07/14 by Csalem's Lot, on Flickr

And two of the new 70 SG class:
    14916999353_a5be7cbe5d_c.jpgSG 12 O'Connell Street 14/10/14 by Csalem's Lot, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I saw a 142 (not sure what model) DB on route 38A the other day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If the hybrid is reasonablely economical and notably less noisy and cleaner it really should be rolled out across the network.

I've lived near the city centre right beside a road with many bus routes and I've also lived in a central location away from main roads -- the people living on the on the former suffer noise and air polution in a major way and buses account larger percentage than they should.

This isn't the way it has to be -- a reduction in noise alone can have a large positive effect (and yes, I know buses used to be worse, I had to suffer an odd older bus which I think was at some stage taken out of service before I moved).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

January wrote: »
    I saw a 142 (not sure what model) DB on route 38A the other day.

It was in Sutton today. No route number, just "out of service"

BowWow wrote: »
    It was in Sutton today. No route number, just "out of service"

Well there are 70 being delivered. It could be any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Found the seats on the new 9 very uncomfortable and it all seems more cramped height wise, windows seem smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Does Dublin Bus do the typical Irish state body end of year trick of blowing the last of the budget, in the last few months? To ensure they get the same funding next year. They only appear to buy large amounts of new buses at the end of the year, never at the start. Like most of big 46a buses arrived suddenly one October.

Why doesnt Dublin Bus use single decker long buses like in cities such as Munich? They hold far more people and are more like a tram than a bus. They hold a ton of people standing. They would probably help with social issues on the problem routes(although the behaviour on Dublin buses has improved greatly in the last several years)

The NTA are funding the buses, not Dublin Bus.

Deliveries are dictated by when manufacturers can deliver them. Bizarrely enough bus companies have to order them significantly in advance - it's not a case of sending an order off in June.

Dublin Bus got 80 buses last year too.

Ordering articulated buses is only practical if you have the infrastructure in place to use them safely - that's what the BRT is planned to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

hfallada wrote: »
    Does Dublin Bus do the typical Irish state body end of year trick of blowing the last of the budget, in the last few months? To ensure they get the same funding next year. They only appear to buy large amounts of new buses at the end of the year, never at the start. Like most of big 46a buses arrived suddenly one October.

Why doesnt Dublin Bus use single decker long buses like in cities such as Munich? They hold far more people and are more like a tram than a bus. They hold a ton of people standing. They would probably help with social issues on the problem routes(although the behaviour on Dublin buses has improved greatly in the last several years)

Streets are too small and they had single decker bendy style and were constantly in crashes and breaking down.

If we had proper roads and driver trainning of other vehicle users it could be done but everybody hates buses and cut them up all the time.

Advertisement