Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this photo of Dun Laoghaire?

Options
  • 14-10-2014 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to place this photo, and looking for a little help please. The title has it as either "Kilmore Quay, from Saltees?" or "Dun Laoghaire from seapoint."

While it does look like DL in a number of ways I'm pretty sure it's not taken from Seapoint. If anything (if it's inverted/mirrored) it might be from Forty Foot, looking back towards DL. I'm not convinced though. It looks like the baths. It looks like Town Hall. The twin spires don't look right though. It could be the mariners church and the main church, but then there's a turret behind that.

Anyone want to take a stab and see if they can confirm whether it's DL or not?

z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sure looks like DL to me.

Is that the Carlisle Pier railway shed on the left?

Twin spires look right to me too.

ETA plus, you can see the roof of the bandstand on the East Pier on the extreme left of the picture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

it does to me too, probably taken from Seapoint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Quite sure it is Dun Laoghaire here you can see photo/oil painting from the same point. So I think yours is mirrored.

Dun_Laoghaire.jpg

dunlaoghaire2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

it looks reversed to me, looking at DL baths and the back of the east pier from Sandycove, especially looking a tthe columns next to the baths. There's nothing like that on the west pier but there is on the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks all, DL it is so.

If I can find out how I'll suggest to the NLI that they flip the image so it shows correctly.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Looks like dun laoghaire and looko like the pic is taken from sandymount strand.

I know both Dun Laoghaire and Kilmore Quay very well, definitely Dun Laoghaire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

Yes DL but printed up in reverse.... defo the baths, town hall etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭That username is already in use.

Anyone know what the tower is to the right of the two steeples? You have to zoom in a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Yeah Kilmore Quay is quite small compared to that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Anyone know what the tower is to the right of the two steeples? You have to zoom in a bit.

St Michael's Church, before the old building burned down.

Advertisement