Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub Crawl in Killarney

Options
  • 14-10-2014 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys,

Organising a trip to Killarney the weekend of the 24th of October for a bunch of international students. I wanted to do a pub crawl night and a club night.

Any suggestions as to a good route for the pub crawl seeing as it will be on foot?
    Or a good nightclub to go to?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Conor McC wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Organising a trip to Killarney the weekend of the 24th of October for a bunch of international students. I wanted to do a pub crawl night and a club night.

Any suggestions as to a good route for the pub crawl seeing as it will be on foot?
    Or a good nightclub to go to?

Thanks!

The grand or mcsorleys are the clubs.. There's plenty of pubs down there where abouts are ye staying/planning on starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Conor McC

The hostel is called the killarney railway hostel. Is it easy enough to just walk from pub to pub? Wanted to call in advance to see if we could get some drink deals considering its a big group, about 60 of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Conor McC wrote: »
    The hostel is called the killarney railway hostel. Is it easy enough to just walk from pub to pub? Wanted to call in advance to see if we could get some drink deals considering its a big group, about 60 of us!

You are starting in a nice spot staying in the Railway Hostel. Because there's a big group there are some pubs where you all won't fit but this is the route I would take with a group that size. All the pubs are no more than a few seconds away from each other. Most bars in Killarney are connected to hotels or b&b so don't take any notice of that. All the places I link are nice spots.

Walk out of the hostel and turn left, at the end of the street is McSweeny Arms. http://www.mcsweeneyarms.ie/ Across from there is Murphy's Bar.

Walk left out of Murphys ( http://www.murphysofkillarney.com/murphysbar.html ) and Scotts is just a few buildings down. http://www.scottshotelkillarney.com/

Across the street is The Failte Bar. http://www.failtekillarney.com/

Walk out of the Failte and back across the street again to McSorleys. Nightclub in McSorleys open weekends only but if you ring in advance they will do you a deal of any 3 drinks for €10 in the bar for your group, 064 6639770. Best to ring in the evening after 8pm. When you leave there, turn left and Scruffys is a few doors down. http://www.killarneytowers.com/killarney-pubs

Leave Scruffys and turn left walking down a narrow one way street, College Street as it's known by locals or Plunkett Street as it's actually called, and the Porterhouse is on your left. (064) 667 1130

Out of the Porterhouse and left and at the end of the street is the Grand nightclub. http://www.killarneygrand.com/#top

http://www.drinkaware.ie/?gclid=CN_ww4KZr8ECFUdj2wodwQEASw :pac:

Have fun. Any other questions, just ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Conor McC

Sounds great, thanks very much. I'll send the drink aware to the students haha

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

There's a new LOTR inspired pub opening called The Shire. I've no idea if it'll live up to expectations but it could be worth calling into. The Lane Bar is really nice too, very chilled and have a good selection of beers and cocktails.

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    There's a new LOTR inspired pub opening called The Shire. I've no idea if it'll live up to expectations but it could be worth calling into. The Lane Bar is really nice too, very chilled and have a good selection of beers and cocktails.

I didn't realise this place was opening already. It's just across from McSweeny Arms aswell so it's on your route :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

siblers wrote: »

Where is this opening? (What used to be there before?)

Edit:
    Some research leads me to Kellys Korner: https://www.facebook.com/TheShireKillarney

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Make sure to head in to Courney's, probably the best pub in Killarney.
    The 98 is small and divey if you like that sort of thing.
    Avoid The Shire (LOTR pub), it's a health and safety hazard due to packing in hundreds of people more than the building can handle. Perhaps it will be better on a normal night but opening night was just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Saruman wrote: »
    Avoid The Shire (LOTR pub), it's a health and safety hazard due to packing in hundreds of people more than the building can handle. Perhaps it will be better on a normal night but opening night was just stupid.

Wait until the novelty wears off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The problem lies in that the walkway from the front of the bar to the back is so damn narrow that it can't handle any footfall. I went in at around 10 on Saturday night and there was plenty of space down near the toilets.

• Advertisement

That was about the time I was there, perhaps a little later.

Have fun tonight. Enjoy your weekend

So how was your weekend? What pubs did you visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Denise1991

Was here at the weekend! Had an unbelievable time! Went in early because we wanted to get the full experience as one of the girls is a major LOFR fan, and we Ended up staying there all night! Staff are so nice and everyone in there was just up for the craic!

Denise1991 wrote: »
    Was here at the weekend! Had an unbelievable time! Went in early because we wanted to get the full experience as one of the girls is a major LOFR fan, and we Ended up staying there all night! Staff are so nice and everyone in there was just up for the craic!

Will give it another go the next time I am in Killarney, assuming they aren't shut down for breaching copyright by then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Denise1991

Will give it another go the next time I am in Killarney, assuming they aren't shut down for breaching copyright by then ;)

Ahh stop being a negative nelly! 😄

Popped into The Shire for one last night. Nice vibe. The signs for Gondor, Mordor, Middle Earth etc could be a bit more noticeable. They seemed kind of hidden in random places on the wall. I was happy to be served some of Gandalfs Ale in a Tankard and at €4 a pop it's decent value.

Would return again.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Popped into The Shire for one last night. Nice vibe. The signs for Gondor, Mordor, Middle Earth etc could be a bit more noticeable. They seemed kind of hidden in random places on the wall. I was happy to be served some of Gandalfs Ale in a Tankard and at €4 a pop it's decent value.

Would return again.

Dunno, strikes me as kitschy, even by Killarney standards.

Dunno, strikes me as kitschy, even by Killarney standards.

Kitschy?

dobman88 wrote: »
    Kitschy?

definition: So tacky or lame that is has a certain ironic appeal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement