Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot access any of my work sites because of "throttling" (lovely term!)

Options
  • 14-10-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Very odd thing started to happen last night. I can no longer access any of my work sites via Eircom. I did a search and now it seems that I am being "throttled". I'm guessing that Eircom is "punishing" me for uploading 5 gb of a file to my work site at the weekend. 

I know you have your "fair usage" policy, but if you have limits what are they? Are there some form of upload limits? And most importantly, what is the quickest way of getting my access restored before I get fired?

Is it possible that they are also blocking my access to speedtest.net so I can't check download speeds? That just seems petty!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Very odd thing started to happen last night. I can no longer access any of my work sites via Eircom. I did a search and now it seems that I am being "throttled". I'm guessing that Eircom is "punishing" me for uploading 5 gb of a file to my work site at the weekend. 

I know you have your "fair usage" policy, but if you have limits what are they? Are there some form of upload limits?  And most importantly, what is the quickest way of getting my access restored before I get fired?

Is it possible that they are also blocking my access to speedtest.net so I can't check download speeds? That just seems petty!
    I don't think this is anything specific to you. Eircom seems to be having server problems at the minute. Twitter and a few other sites are acting up for me. I can't access Speedtest either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

swiftblade wrote: »

I know you have your "fair usage" policy, but if you have limits what are they? Are there some form of upload limits?  And most importantly, what is the quickest way of getting my access restored before I get fired?

I don't think this is anything specific to you. Eircom seems to be having server problems at the minute. Twitter and a few other sites are acting up for me. I can't access Speedtest either.

I really hope so. I would be very disappointed if they had blocked my work site. Thanks for the reply. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi 3rd degree

I can assure you that you are not being 'punished' in anyway. There may be overall usage limits on your Account depending on the Broadband package you have selected (rather than specific Upload Usage limits) but you would not be throttled or denied access in anyway for going over these limits.

We have had a few other people on Social Media advising of problems logging on to certain sites such as twitter in recent days as you have advised swiftblade. We have notified Technical Support who are currently looking into this. As soon as I receive more information from them I will advise you here.

thanks
    Colm

Hi Colm

Thanks for the response. Many years ago when I was an Eircom customer, I experienced appalling customer service. But since I came back to you a few years ago, I have found your customer service to be excellent.  I was hoping that hadn't changed again so I'm very relieved that this isn't caused by some kind of policy from Eircom. 

I just got a call back from someone in Eircom Support explaining the issue and when we checked, the sites are not up. It is exactly as switchblade and you say, it's not just me! 

Again, I have to give a big thumbs up to Eircom support. I never imagined I could be saying such a thing back when I was a customer originally, but your customer services is light years ahead of when it was back then. 

Many thanks,
    Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi Colm

Thanks for the response. Many years ago when I was an Eircom customer, I experienced appalling customer service. But since I came back to you a few years ago, I have found your customer service to be excellent.  I was hoping that hadn't changed again so I'm very relieved that this isn't caused by some kind of policy from Eircom. 

I just got a call back from someone in Eircom Support explaining the issue and when we checked, the sites are not up. It is exactly as switchblade and you say, it's not just me! 

Again, I have to give a big thumbs up to Eircom support. I never imagined I could be saying such a thing back when I was a customer originally, but your customer services is light years ahead of when it was back then. 

Many thanks,
    Martin
    Hi Martin

Thanks for the kind comments and I am glad to hear your Exerience with Eircom has been much better the second time around! Hopefully this issue with you being unable to access certain sites will be resolved as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Colm

• Advertisement

Everything now seems to be fine. 

Thanks again.

Advertisement