Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How convincingly will Ireland win Euro 2016?

• 14-10-2014 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭

Very convincingly imo :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

So dominant it will be x rated

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

We probably need Jedward to back up Johnny Logan if we're to have any chance. :p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Very, very, very convincingly.

Very.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Northern Ireland would destroy us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gest

The Phoenix Park is booked already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gest

The Phoenix Park is booked already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Very, but only if we play wes hoolahan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Everyone else might as well not bother showing up. We'll just have a three week session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

A more pertinent question though.

Are Joachim Loew and Germany done?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Irish team will go down in villany as we'll let the opposition score a few times in every game and then just outscore them with only a min to go :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I can see Christy writting 'Joxer goes to Paris' already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes it will be ireland vs france in the final in paris

revenge for henry

ahh we can dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I reckon we'll draw it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If we all got through, it would certainly be interesting (especially depending on where the games were played) to see us, Norn Iron and Ingurlund all in the same group - could well be possible too, with us as 3rd seeds and them as 4th and 1st respectively. It would be kind of fitting to have the Swiss as the 2nd seeds, for neutralities sake. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

With David Forde as playmaker I can't see anything but a convincing stroll to victory :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Ah lads we should just not go, let some other team have a chance of winning it like. Wouldn't be fair if we turned up, parked for 90 minutes and have our defenders score a last second goal all the way to the trophy. They wouldn't get we were lulling them into a false sense of security by looking like headless chickens for 90 minutes for the craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Games would wanna be kicking off after the 9pm watershed because what Ireland will do to your Spain's, your France's, your Italy's will be borderline obscene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yep us and Greece in the final. I can see it now with the possession stats showing Ireland and Greece fighting to have the least amount of possession.

And when they show the stats of where the ball was for most of the game they will see that it spent 80% of the game in midfield and 10% in our defensive third and 10% in Greece's defensive third.

We'll win it alright, 1-0 in the penalty shootout with John O'Shea the only one to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So convincingly that they'll rename the tournament the Eires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

So convincingly that they'll renamed the tournament the Eires.

Nah! With Wales and Northern Ireland also topping their group, and Scotland only looking mid-table because they're in our group, it should be renamed the Nations Cup.

It's clear now that's where the challenge is, and winning that thanks to Paul McShane's influence has set us on the path to glory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I can see Christy writting 'Joxer goes to Paris' already.

So the Champs-Élysées beckoned
    And Joxer determined to made his mark
    He p*ssed in the Champs de Mars
    Like he had in the Phoenix Park

He met a girl called Nicole
    Who drove her Clio from Marseille
    He wanted to meet her Papa
    But a truckers strike was on that day

Then the day of the match, and England
    Unbeaten since Brazil
    But O'Neill's boys had their measure
    And we stuffed them five to nil

Diddly aye diddly diddly, how's it goin'...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

A couple of weeks back on Football Manager I won this very tournament with Ireland. FYI the key players throughout qualifying and in the tournament itself were JACK GREALISH (played behind) CONOR SAMMON (in the Quinn/Cascarino type role).

Now all we have to do is implement my tactical wizardry

4-1-3-1-1

Direct passing, not long ball to the target man. It might not make for the most tiki-taka style, but we can beat everyone this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The Euros, that's small potatoes, its the World Cup we're targeting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Just imagine I posted that Karl Pilkington bullsh*t image, I'm not arsed looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Even if we beat France in the Final, Dunphy still wouldn't be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

patmac wrote: »
    Even if we beat France in the Final, Dunphy still wouldn't be happy.

'France are rubbish Bill, on the way down, easy Euros'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I thought Dunphy was spot on last night - the initial selection was poor , we only played in the last 20 .
    Dunphy only wants whats best for Irish football, why shouldn't we pick our best players , in best position , playing an attack style football - we were dire for the first 70 mins last night - and in the last 20 proved what we are capable of

thebaz wrote: »
    I thought Dunphy was spot on last night - the initial selection was poor , we only played in the last 20 .
    Dunphy only wants whats best for Irish football, why shouldn't we pick our best players , in best position , playing an attack style football - we were dire for the first 70 mins last night - and in the last 20 proved what we are capable of
    Dunphy wants what makes Dunphy the talking point.

As for your tactical analysis of what we did wrong, if we did the opposite we might be talking about a positive performance, but we certainly wouldn't be talking about the same result.

Teams with our squad of players (and I don't mean teams of our stature, other teams are better suited to approaching games differently with similar outcomes) cannot go toe to toe with Germany successfully.

The approach for the first 70 minutes was correct, and when an individual error (maybe a little harsh but poor play by an individual anyway) undid that good work, the approach for the last 20 minutes was correct, but we couldn't have gone with that approach for the first 70 minutes without being ripped apart.

CSF wrote: »

The approach for the first 70 minutes was correct, and when an individual error (maybe a little harsh but poor play by an individual anyway) undid that good work, the approach for the last 20 minutes was correct, but we couldn't have gone with that approach for the first 70 minutes without being ripped apart.

Football is about winning , not parking the bus - we proved in the last 20 we could play , so why not play , why play so many players out of position ? Why drop Houlahan ? He adds so much more than Whelan or Quinn ?

Every Irish fan loves to hate Dunphy , but he wants a good Irish team , playing good football - we have good decent players who should be allowed express themselves , rather than a tiresome brand of football , and I'm in agreement with him on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

iDave wrote: »
    'France are rubbish Bill, on the way down, easy Euros'

A nothing tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Depends, we need a bit more guile, and a bit of "THAT"*

*Dunphy doing that thing with his fist

Dunphy only wants whats best for Irish football,
    Dunphy wants what's best for Dunphy - attention, pure and simple. Germany would have hockeyed us if we played like we did in the last 15 minutes throughout. They would not have been trying to defend the game at 0-0.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Dunphy wants what's best for Dunphy - attention, pure and simple. Germany would have hockeyed us if we played like we did in the last 15 minutes throughout. They would not have been trying to defend the game at 0-0.

thats the myth , that Dunphy is anti Irish , if people listened to him he speaks a lot of sense , apart from the odd rant now & again - I agree with him on his wishes for Irish football - if people are happy with a negative anti football Trappatonni approach , so be it - but why not have a go and play attacking football, with players in their rightful position , we can still be solid at the back and do the defensive midfield tasks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

What's this out of position crap?

McGeady was tried as an attacking midfielder down the centre instead of down the wing. He probably enjoyed the less tracking back he had to do. It's basically a natural progression trying him there as he has been popping up in the centre more recently even when starting wide. He might even revert to that position if/when he loses his pace. There was space for one attacking midfielder in the team and O'Neill went with McGeady instead of Hoolohan probably because he though McGeady offers a little more physicality and defensive work to help out the midfield two.

Walters was selected on the right as a target man and a place where the team could send the ball to relieve some pressure and he did that pretty well. When selected for Stoke recently, he's more often than not been selected on the right and has played there a few times for Ireland.

The only player out of position was Meyler.

Aenaes wrote: »
    What's this out of position crap?

McGeady was tried as an attacking midfielder down the centre instead of down the wing. He probably enjoyed the less tracking back he had to do. It's basically a natural progression trying him there as he has been popping up in the centre more recently even when starting wide. He might even revert to that position if/when he loses his pace. There was space for one attacking midfielder in the team and O'Neill went with McGeady instead of Hoolohan probably because he though McGeady offers a little more physicality and defensive work to help out the midfield two.

Walters was selected on the right as a target man and a place where the team could send the ball to relieve some pressure and he did that pretty well. When selected for Stoke recently, he's more often than not been selected on the right and has played there a few times for Ireland.

The only player out of position was Meyler.

so no one out of position from the start - Walters, McGeady, - why was Houlahan not selected ? Long would have been much better upfront from the start - if people were happy with the first 70 mins played by Ireland , I don't know , I thought we were dire - germany were poor too , lacking in confidence and were there for the taking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I gave my guess as to why Hoolohan wasn't selected. As for Long being a better option, I'd probably agree but obviously O'Neill preferred going with the captain and record goal-scorer.

Anyway, that's talking about selections and nothing to do with players out of position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

We started with Keane, Walters, McGeady and McClean, four very attacking players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Dunphy is nothing more than a shock jock. His attacks on Whealan are totally uncalled for.

This "John was a great player....and Liam was a great player" thing come just before some attack on the Irish team in a hope to defuse them before the errupt. I wont watch it on rte anymore.

Anyway back to the question, i think we need to fund NASA so we can finally start an Inter Planetary Cup. Its the only way we will get an actual challenge. These mere humans cant match us and our swash buckeling harlem globe trotter last min on call efforts to show our superiority

LeBash wrote: »
    Dunphy is nothing more than a shock jock. His attacks on Whealan are totally uncalled for.

there is lot more to Dunphy than that , he makes calls that are unpopular, but often true - Whelan is a limited international player is a fact - I respect him , that he makes the most of his ability, and always gives a 100% to the Irish cause.

but, I'm tiring of the dunphy haters , when he is gone people will realise how much he added to Irish punditry and more

there is lot more to Dunphy than that , he makes calls that are unpopular, but often true - Whelan is a limited international player is a fact - I respect him , that he makes the most of his ability, and always gives a 100% to the Irish cause.

but, I'm tiring of the dunphy haters , when he is gone people will realise how much he added to Irish punditry and more
    The only reasonable conclusion here is that you are or are related to Eamon Dunphy.

• Advertisement

The only reasonable conclusion here is that you are or are related to Eamon Dunphy.

Why , cause I don't join the bandwagon of Dunphy haters - he's a top class journalist/pundit

Why , cause I don't join the bandwagon of Dunphy haters - he's a top class journalist/pundit
    It was only a joke, but no, he isn't.

It was only a joke, but no, he isn't.

Read -only a game- one of the best books on football i have ever read - there is more to Dunphy than the obvious - what I like about him , he admits he is human , make mistakes, and was a limited footballer himself. Just hate the abuse he gets in Ireland. Eneogh said :)

Read -only a game- one of the best books on football i have ever read - there is more to Dunphy than the obvious - what I like about him , he admits he is human , make mistakes, and was a limited footballer himself. Just hate the abuse he gets in Ireland. Eneogh said :)
    He still isn't well researched on most footballers, football clubs and football topics. He is pure shock journalism no matter how much you liked his book.

He still isn't well researched on most footballers, football clubs and football topics. He is pure shock journalism no matter how much you liked his book.

completely disagree , he is a top class pundit , lets see how easy it is for RTE to replace him with someone as original, talented & unique - he's been class pundit for over 20 years. **** sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Top class pundits do research.....they don't let others do it and have it spoon fed to them. Giles and Dunphy have coasted through the last ten years and it's embarrassing. If they had any pride they would make more of an effort.

It's perfectly fine to have an unpopular opinion but there is no excuse to go on air and have no clue who the opposition are.

Kirby wrote: »
    Top class pundits do research.....they don't let others do it and have it spoon fed to them. Giles and Dunphy have coasted through the last ten years and it's embarrassing. If they had any pride they would make more of an effort.

It's perfectly fine to have an unpopular opinion but there is no excuse to go on air and have no clue who the opposition are.

Giles is washed up now - but again very unfair criticism , about being unprepared & not knowing opposition - besides there is more to punditry than just knowledge , i'd prefer listen to Chris de Burgh than Hamann - time for me to leave boards , i just seam to argue with everyone - i'll **** off to twitter land - and keep you all happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Been a while since a good meltdown in here :p

completely disagree , he is a top class pundit , lets see how easy it is for RTE to replace him with someone as original, talented & unique - he's been class pundit for over 20 years. **** sake
    He has been embarrassingly past it for a long, long time - he fixates on one player or manager and completely ignores reality, like Hoolahan's performance yesterday, or most famously spending years and years coming up with more and more pathetic excuses as to why Cristiano Ronaldo was a terrible footballer.

At the World Cup he spent ages talking about how Colombia were "a bunch of headless chickens", useless, etc defensively - which was quite funny considering they had the best defensive record in all of South America during qualifying and had the tied best defensive record of anyone in the tournament itself through the group stages and round of 16, which was when he was hammering on about it most. He did a great job at dissecting Lorenzo's performances for Argentina, though. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Dunphy nor Giles has made any meaningful contribution to RTE punditry for a long long time now. To be honest Brady isnt much better and I couldnt take anyone seriously that says otherwise.
    Dunphy just goes from one vendetta to the next, Its Whelan now, before it was Trap, Andrews etc then he had a pop at Noel King, and lets not forget the panels disgraceful treatment of Douglas a few years back. LeBash was correct, he is a shockjock, designed to court controversy and boost ratings much like Brolly and Spillane are to the gaa panel on rte.
    I do find Dunphy entertaining at times and laugh when he labels the likes of Ramos a headbanger etc but as a pundit he offers next to nothing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement