Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shepards pie

Options
  • 14-10-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

just a quick question about putting a shepards pie together.

I've made the minced meat base, and the potato topping...I won't be eating it till tomorrow and I'm just wondering what's better, to leave them seperate and put it together tomorrow or make it up now? I don't really like it when the juice soaks into the potato...and will the potatoes taste alright tomorrow if I leave them overnight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,540 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rcarroll wrote: »
    just a quick question about putting a shepards pie together.

I've made the minced meat base, and the potato topping...I won't be eating it till tomorrow and I'm just wondering what's better, to leave them seperate and put it together tomorrow or make it up now? I don't really like it when the juice soaks into the potato...and will the potatoes taste alright tomorrow if I leave them overnight?
    Shepards pie isnt made with mince meat, you use lamb. Cottage pie is made with mince meat. Shepards don't mid cows ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭rcarroll

lol, you're right, never noticed the connection with the name before! Meant to say cottage pie :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd leave them separate. The mince layer will become more firm and will support the mash better, and will prevent leakages if you're not a fan of that.

Cheers Faith!! They're cooling on the stove and I can't wait to lash into it tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

ted1 wrote: »
    Shepards don't mid cows ;)

'Shepards don't mid' sheep either, on the other hand, shepherds have been known to herd sheep ;)
    rcarroll wrote: »
    Cheers Faith!! They're cooling on the stove and I can't wait to lash into it tomorrow :)

If you like your mash topping crispy, brush a bit of egg over a portion and stick it under the grill, lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Related, I had a housemate who was a chef once. He always made Shepherd's Pie by making the mince mixture first and leaving it cool in the dish for a good hour before cooking the potatoes. It's a lot more effort, but it's nice to stop the potatoes sinking into the mince.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Faith wrote: »
    Related, I had a housemate who was a chef once. He always made Shepherd's Pie by making the mince mixture first and leaving it cool in the dish for a good hour before cooking the potatoes. It's a lot more effort, but it's nice to stop the potatoes sinking into the mince.
    I do that too, and it makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you don't have an egg handy, brushing the top
    with milk will also help with the crispyness . Run the tines of a fork over the potato to give lots of jaggedy surface area to crisp up.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Your mash might go all runny if you leave it. I ain't making my potatoes the day before ever again:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

dibkins wrote: »
    Your mash might go all runny if you leave it. I ain't making my potatoes the day before ever again:(

Mash should firm up over night. Are you using too much milk?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Very odd.
    How did you manage that?
    Did something spill into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If you like your mash topping crispy, brush a bit of egg over a portion and stick it under the grill, lovely!

Cheese it and grill it!

hardCopy wrote: »
    Cheese it and grill it!

I know lots of people love this but that way you don't get the beauty of crispy potato.

No to cheese on potato topping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I would usually make the meat and sauce and leave it over night in the fridge to firm up. Them make the mash the next day so that it's warm going on so it's more pliable and easier to work into corners/spread evenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

Just read through this and now I'm starvin !!! Might have to make cottage pie today...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

It was ages ago. I made the shep pie the night before and the next day the spuds were all odd. They tasted fine, but the texture was completely gone. No idea what happened to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I know lots of people love this but that way you don't get the beauty of crispy potato.

But...cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

It was ages ago. I made the shep pie the night before and the next day the spuds were all odd. They tasted fine, but the texture was completely gone. No idea what happened to be honest!

I think they dry out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Shepards pie isnt made with mince meat, you use lamb. Cottage pie is made with mince meat. Shepards don't mid cows ;)

"Mince meat" doesn't automatically equal beef, you know.

At the moment I have four different types of mince in my freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

You can make it with mince if you want (minced lamb is still meat, same as cow).

Making it with slow cooked shoulder of lamb is the way to go though :)

F.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Grated Parmesan crisp up topping, ala Ramsay.

I HATE reheated spuds, so always do them fresh. The base can be made and even frozen, but always do fresh spuds.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    "Mince meat" doesn't automatically equal beef, you know.

At the moment I have four different types of mince in my freezer.

Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with roast lamb or mutton that has been minced, not minced raw lamb.

I also regularly use minced pork and lamb - more so than beef so I take your point regarding mince.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with roast lamb or mutton that has been minced, not minced raw lamb.

I also regularly use minced pork and lamb - more so than beef so I take your point regarding mince.

I was watching Jamie Oliver on the TV in the last week or so, and he was making a shepherd's pie by starting with a slow (4 hour) roast shoulder of lamb, and then pulling the meat apart rather than mincing it.

He lined his dish with mash, rather than just covering the filling. It looked wonderful, though quite a lot of work.

The recipe doesn't seem to be available on his website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Not ON the potato topping, IN the potato topping.

I always make it with cheesy mash.

I'll leave it up to you to decide what it would be called if it doesn't contain meat but is made with lentils ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Haven't tried it, but I guess some breadcrumbs sprinkled on the mash )along with grated parmesan) would give a nice crunch too.

F.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

My potatoes are separated from the mince by a layer of soft (but not mushy) marrowfat peas. OM NOM NOM

cooked the potatoes fresh today, loads of butter and the minced beef had been left overnight - worked a treat, no leakage, did the egg on top and loads of crispy bits :) very happy lady now thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Tree wrote: »
    My potatoes are separated from the mince by a layer of soft (but not mushy) marrowfat peas. OM NOM NOM

Mmmmmmm! Me LIKE this idea :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

I can't bring myself to egg wash anything. I just find it such a massive waste of egg. Unless you freeze the remaining egg to use again, I guess. Milk wash all the way for me.

Advertisement