Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Both cars and house insurance on the same policy.

Options
  • 14-10-2014 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭

Howdy,

We are about to renew our two cars and our house insurance. I was of the assumption that we would get some kind of reduction if we did all the above with the same company, am i mistaken?

After talking to Cornmarket, they don't seem to think so! We didn't have a chance today to get incontact with anyone else.

Any experiences appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ring around, some companies will give discounts if you have multiple policies with them. Zurich did at one stage anyway, but you still may save more anyway by just going with the best quote for each risk.

There's currently a radio ad running for a company advertising discounts for moving two cars to them, can't remember who at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Aviva used to, but I don't know if they still do.

I wouldn't take it in to consideration personally. An insurer could be giving 10% off for putting both policies with them, but they could be far dearer than the best car insurer and the best house insurer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I think AXA also were doing it. But old youth is right. A discount of a higher price than you can get anywhere else is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

peteb2 wrote: »
    I think AXA also were doing it. But old youth is right. A discount of a higher price than you can get anywhere else is pointless.

I was with Axa for car and house, got the house renewal a few months ago which included a bonus for having the two policies with them - the so-called 'loyalty' discount.

Shopped around online, got a €100 better quote from FBD. Loyalty me arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Aviva certainly do as do Allianz and Liberty.

Kind surprised that Cornmarket wouldnt know this kind of stuff. Its all out there in the public domain.

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    Aviva certainly do as do Allianz and Liberty.

Kind surprised that Cornmarket wouldnt know this kind of stuff. Its all out there in the public domain.

Cornmarket is a 'financial services company', not an insurance company. I expect that their staff will simply try to get the best quote for each policy so in many case this will be company 'x' for car and company 'y' for home.

It's down to the insurance companies to offer their brokers bundling discounts when looking for cover - it's not Cornmarket's fault if the best overall quote for the OP is from multiple insurance companies.

coylemj wrote: »
    Cornmarket is a 'financial services company', not an insurance company. I expect that their staff will simply try to get the best quote for each policy so in many case this will be company 'x' for car and company 'y' for home.

It's down to the insurance companies to offer their brokers bundling discounts when looking for cover - it's not Cornmarket's fault if the best overall quote for the OP is from multiple insurance companies.

"After talking to Cornmarket, they don't seem to think so! "

Thats not what the OP implied the Cornmarket broker told them. They didnt say yes they do offer bundle discounts however we were able to get you better quotes seperatly.

You may of course be right in your assumption but at the very least you would expect a broker to explain in laymans terms to their customer points like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

So basically, Cornmarket have told so that there are no real gains to putting everything together, which I thought was a bit strange. So we're going to shop around on all three and see what we can get.

On that, speaking to a colleague about it, they got a very good quote from Alliance on thier house and it included cover for the jewellery (engagement and wedding ring) outside of the home, which I thought was pretty good, so I'll be on to them this evening!

80s Child wrote: »
    So basically, Cornmarket have told so that there are no real gains to putting everything together, which I thought was a bit strange. So we're going to shop around on all three and see what we can get.

!

ok so you have changed your story since the first post. Why do you think its a bit strange ?

just because company A offer you the cheapest car insurance why would you assume company A would also offer you the cheapest house insurance ?

In your first post you made it out like Cornmarket werent aware that bundling discounts existed with different insurers.

"After talking to Cornmarket, they don't seem to think so! "

Thats not what the OP implied the Cornmarket broker told them. They didnt say yes they do offer bundle discounts however we were able to get you better quotes seperatly.

I don't know why you put that bold text immediately below my post as if I said it, if you check back you'll see that its a direct quote lifted by you from the OP's first post which makes nonsense of your assertion that it's 'not what the OP implied the Cornmarket broker told them'!

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    I don't know why you put that bold text immediately below my post as if I said it, if you check back you'll see that its a direct quote lifted by you from the OP's first post which makes nonsense of your assertion that it's 'not what the OP implied the Cornmarket broker told them'!

I know where I pulled the quote from. I never said you said it. I was pointing out what the OP implied the brroker told them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

ok so you have changed your story since the first post. Why do you think its a bit strange ?

just because company A offer you the cheapest car insurance why would you assume company A would also offer you the cheapest house insurance ?

In your first post you made it out like Cornmarket werent aware that bundling discounts existed with different insurers.

Did I? I felt that it was fairly obvious that Cornmarket were of the opinion that they didn't do discounts for having all three together and I wanted to see if anyone else had experiences of getting a discount in a 'bundle' situation.

I know where I pulled the quote from. I never said you said it. I was pointing out what the OP implied the brroker told them :rolleyes:

You quote my post, you quote a line of bold text in quotes, you refer to the OP in the third person, then you direct your response to persons unknown in the second person ('you may of course be right....).

Your posts are all over the place. Please don't quote my post when responding to what others are saying.

Advertisement