Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Comments

I've had a couple of app crashes, Chrome mostly. Most annoying thing is the Google Photos auto backup bug, it backs up every folder it detects with photos in it even if I have selected the "SNP_3D6F635B89EB5103D55CBB822EB65FFA66EE_4542385_en_v0 Auto Backup is off" for that folder. Very annoying.

Overall though the experience has been quite positive. Hopefully we get updates to Chrome and Photos to remove the crashes/bugs.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Two days after I first saw the upgrade prompt (and lost it by receiving a badly timed phone call) I am now upgrading my N5. Hopefully the likes of MX player and any other apps that need it will release new versions that are compatible soon. My missus is annoyed that her songpop isn't compatible but other than that she's happy with her upgrade and the improved battery life especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Sounds like you've a secondary setting setup for something like encryption or safe tethering to WiFi zone or blue tooth device.

Not sure what safe tethering to a wifi zone means or even how to check this :confused: Haven't got any blue tooth devices attached either.
    harney wrote: »
    I though I read something about default encryption with version 5 of the OS, which might force a password of sorts. Check in your device if it is encrypted or not, it might give you a clue as to what is going on.

It would appear not to be encrypted as it has the option to encrypt the device available. I'll do some searching at the weekend to see if I can figure it out.

2aeo283.jpg

Ok crisis over :) Fixed it as follows:

Settings -> Security -> Deactivate Administrators. Deactivate Android Device Manager
    Settings -> Security -> Clear credentials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

5starpool wrote: »
    Two days after I first saw the upgrade prompt (and lost it by receiving a badly timed phone call) I am now upgrading my N5. Hopefully the likes of MX player and any other apps that need it will release new versions that are compatible soon. My missus is annoyed that her songpop isn't compatible but other than that she's happy with her upgrade and the improved battery life especially.

Test Build of MX Player available from here works on Android L, anyone using Nexus 7 (2012) don't forget to update tegra 3 codec as well, or else it won't work.

Edit 21/11/14: - MX Player has now been updated in the Play store for android L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

Its great that you can listen to YouTube videos in the background while viewing other apps!

About time too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Calendar is a complete eyesore too.

Back to iOS for me.

caolfx wrote: »
    Calendar is a complete eyesore too.

Back to iOS for me.

Ffs, get a better calendar app, that's what Android is all about, you change what you don't like. I use aCalendar+ myself

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    Ffs, get a better calendar app, that's what Android is all about, you change what you don't like. I use aCalendar+ myself

Relax there fanboy, It's just an OS.

Obviously, it's not the only think I dislike. I mentioned in a previous post I didn't like it in general. At all.

Battery life is worse, all the the colours - it's hard to look at - phone, calendar etc.

Horrible delay in the messaging app between typing someone's name and it actually showing up.

App drawer is horrible. I know - you can change it, but how many things should I have to change in an OS!?

Relax there fanboy, It's just an OS.

Obviously, it's not the only think I dislike. I mentioned in a previous post I didn't like it in general. At all.

Battery life is worse, all the the colours - it's hard to look at - phone, calendar etc.

Horrible delay in the messaging app between typing someone's name and it actually showing up.

App drawer is horrible. I know - you can change it, but how many things should I have to change in an OS!?

Well then, flash Cyanogen, Paranoid Android or one of the many other custom Roms. Ok, you don't like it, saying you're going back to iOS in an Android forum is trolling, same as going into the Apple forum and saying you're going back to Android.

• Advertisement

Well then, flash Cyanogen, Paranoid Android or one of the many other custom Roms. Ok, you don't like it, saying you're going back to iOS in an Android forum is trolling, same as going into the Apple forum and saying you're going back to Android.

Don't be so precious. I was making the point at how disappointed I am with 5.0.

The noticiations too are awful.

While it's great you can flash different ROMs etc, I don't see why I shouldn't opt for an OS that just works - for me.

Anyway, I'm done here. I won't be party to you derailing the thread and getting overprotective of the reputation of a bloody operating system!

Anyway, I'm done here.

Good man, you're a WUM, you post I'm back to iOS in an Android forum then call whoever replies a fanboy. Grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

still waiting on the nexus 7 2013 ota update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

tippguy2 wrote: »
    still waiting on the nexus 7 2013 ota update

Same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Same here too.

I'm enjoying it on my Nexus 5 so far though. No real problems here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Just updated it on my Nexus 5 and I'm somewhat disappointed already. The first thing I noticed was the none/priority/all options for sound is flawed in that none switches off your alarms as well which is absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

robo wrote: »
    I am on Meteor and still waiting...but I don't think they will be affected by the networks as do we not get them from Google?

I got it yesterday. I was just checking another "what if" is all.

Battery life has been significantly improved. Unreal to be honest. Was fully charged from about 3 today and with normal use I'm still on 44% with approx 6hrs left. That's great going.

Nothing to do with carrier. I've 3 nexus devices awaiting the update. Only have it on n9 so far.
    Google release it gradually and in stages/blocks. This way if there is a bug not everyone is buggered at once and they can fix before bricking all.

Ah I know that. I was just seeing was there any input or consistency with the delays. :)

Basically any reason to blame other than the staged rollout.

• Advertisement

In fairness as an archetypal Android fanboy even I'm pissed off at the updated calendar. Which I have had the last week.

I love Google calendar and it was pretty perfect in my eyes until the recent update. 5day week? Come on that's ridiculous.

In fairness as an archetypal Android fanboy even I'm pissed off at the updated calendar. Which I have had the last week.

I love Google calendar and it was pretty perfect in my eyes until the recent update. 5day week? Come on that's ridiculous.

It was the back to iOS comment that got that reaction. I don't like the new calendar app either but who cares if Google makes these changes, the market is full of the old versions like the KitKat launcher or the KitKat gallery app (although quickpic is better), the KitKat calendar will be there too.

Give aCalendar+ a go, it's much more functional and configurable, after using the free version for ages I then spotted the paid version as part of a multiple free apps deal on Amazon once and snapped it up.

MX player now updated to support android 5.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So after being woken up by Yahoo notifications. I turned the phone off in desperation. This morning I checked the "App Notifications" for Yahoo & both switches were off. So I set the phone to "Priority" & did some tests - no Yahoo tones now. But when I switch the sound setting to "All" Yahoo still remained silent :confused:

@gran hermano, did you get your 5.0 update for your nexus 10? I just got the update on mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

@gran hermano, did you get your 5.0 update for your nexus 10? I just got the update on mine

Got it late Thursday. Running better than I expected on the N10. Battery seems improved.
    The N10 is still a decent tablet. Was running the same video on N9 and N10 side by side and the N10 has not aged badly.

No update on my N7 2013 or N4 yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Flashed a while ago with the no wipe option, all good except for Chrome which is laggy every now and then, dangit.
    Anybody do a no wipe and then factory reset to fix this? I read it might...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭bobbygrant

Is google dialler the only way to answer calls or is there some other setting on Android does anyone know. I disabled the app notificiation on it inadverently and wasnt then able to answer a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

bobbygrant wrote: »
    Is google dialler the only way to answer calls or is there some other setting on Android does anyone know. I disabled the app notificiation on it inadverently and wasnt then able to answer a call.

Settings > Sound and Notification > App Notifications > Google Dialler > Set "Block" to off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Flashed a while ago with the no wipe option, all good except for Chrome which is laggy every now and then, dangit.
    Anybody do a no wipe and then factory reset to fix this? I read it might...
    Ugh, I bit the bullet and did this, backed up some apps like Whatsapp, Twee and LightManager but none of them restored properly, dammit.

It was the back to iOS comment that got that reaction. I don't like the new calendar app either but who cares if Google makes these changes, the market is full of the old versions like the KitKat launcher or the KitKat gallery app (although quickpic is better), the KitKat calendar will be there too.

Give aCalendar+ a go, it's much more functional and configurable, after using the free version for ages I then spotted the paid version as part of a multiple free apps deal on Amazon once and snapped it up.

I sent a report back to google about the calendar.

I'll give A Calendar a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

Anyone else having problems making calls with Facebook's Messenger app? Anytime I try to make calls it freezes or crashes, text messaging in the app is fine, however...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Just got the ota update on my nexus 4. Liking what I see so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭loadwire

Have found the camera a bit glitchy since the update. Sometimes the on-screen camera button for taking a picture is kind of greyed-out. If I come out of the app and then back in it's fine but it's happened a good few times, pretty annoying. Just occurred to me I could try the volume button as a workaround, might see if that works next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Phone lasted a full day of placement. Happy out with the update now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Android 5.0.1 Factory images now available for the Nexus 9 (WiFi), Nexus 7 2013 (WiFi) and Nexus 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Still no OTA for my N7 (2013). Anyone else still waiting too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

Still no OTA for my N7 (2013). Anyone else still waiting too?

Same here. Nexus update checker reports 5.0.1 is available but I would first need to root..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I unlocked my Nexus 7 at 17:53. Still waiting or the home screen to load. It's been unusable since the update. I'll have to root it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Nexus 7 2013.

5.0.1 OTA just installed on top of previously side loaded 5.0

Optimising apps is a PITA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

FYI Bank of Ireland app got an update last night and now runs on Lollipop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Got 5.0.1 OTA last night on my Nexus 7 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ste- wrote: »
    FYI Bank of Ireland app got an update last night adn now runs on Lollipop.

Tested this morning, working grand now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Nexus 4 OTA update last week and nothing but grief since
    Did a Factory reset and then the update and its cat altogether – phone now almost unusable
    Before this the phone was great – no lag, great battery and super easy to use

I will wait for the 5.01 and do a flash or whatever it takes from the factory images (I don’t know how to do this but I am sure El Goog will help!!)

Here are a list of issues spotted so far

• Lock screen not working after I set up a trusted device (even after I delete trusted device the screen stays unlocked)
    • Screen timeout changes to 30 mins (I like it set to 30 seconds) randomly
    • SIM unlock code not requested after a reboot (this happens 8 out of 10 times so I have to keep rebooting to get the SIM back in action)
    • Choppy video and apps such as YouTube just close without warning on occasions
    • Voicemail icon not displayed in notifications bar
    • Screen will not come on sometimes if a call comes in – screen also stays off if I am on a call and remove phone from ear to press a number etc
    • Recent apps – lots of apps keep reappearing in the list of stuff even though I may not have used them in days and cleared them out already
    • Camera is iffy and frequently freezes
    • Contact pictures will go fuzzy all of a sudden when I am scrolling through them
    • Vibration on keyboard only works sometimes
    • Wifi drops out and wont rescan until after a reboot
    • Bluetooth drops and kills open apps

The overall usability of 5.0 is pretty appalling too I feel. Here is a list of things I think are gone backwards
    • Dialer – its too ‘pretty’ and not easy to navigate at all
    • All the options when on a call are now at the top of the screen and hard to reach if you hold the phone in 1 hand (e.g. turn on mute, access dialpad etc)
    • Options to answer or decline a call pops up at the top of the screen – again hard to reach on bigger phones when held in 1 hand
    • Notifications – the pull down blind is not as good as previous versions. The clear all button is at the bottom of the list of notifications and is hard to see if you have a bright or even white background e.g. webpage. Why not use a drag up to access notifications? We have Google Now on the left screen so no more need for the swipe up action to access Google Now. Why not use this to access notifications?
    • Mute/silent options are really not intuitive at all
    • No options on long press of power button e.g. airplane mode etc
    • Lock screen notifications are not great at all (have a look at ACDisplay for a great lock screen notifications option)
    • Settings and options screens are not as easy to navigate and a little confusing
    • Too much white and teal and even though the general Material design is ok its just too much like Touchwiz and IOS – its too shiny happy people for me and lacks edge and sophistication. Its aimed at a 12yr old I think.
    • Too many fancy animations (it runs ok on my Nexus 4 but I don’t imagine it will run smoothly on a low end cheapo phone)

So maybe I have a dud update but it really is the worst update I have ever seen from Android. As I say I will wait for 5.01 but if that will not fix things then its back to KitKat for me

For anyone having problems with android 5.0 here is a very down to earth article with fixes for most common problems

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/12/01/nexus-lollipop-problems-fixes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Gottabemobile+%28GottaBeMobile%29

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

Wow it really seems a disastrous upgrade from Google so far just reading this. Are these problems arising with custom rom versions of 5.0 and older nexus upgrades, or are all nexus 6 & 9 owners facing the same issues too? I was looking forward to lollypop being something truly different, look and feel-wise, hopefully it gets completely sorted.

mtt_swny wrote: »
    Wow it really seems a disastrous upgrade from Google so far just reading this. Are these problems arising with custom rom versions of 5.0 and older nexus upgrades, or are all nexus 6 & 9 owners facing the same issues too? I was looking forward to lollypop being something truly different, look and feel-wise, hopefully it gets completely sorted.

My nexus 9 runs perfectly with android 5.0 as does my nexus 10, haven't got the update for my nexus7 (2013) yet. Not everyone is experiencing all or any of these problems,as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

My nexus 9 runs perfectly with android 5.0 as does my nexus 10, haven't got the update for my nexus7 (2013) yet. Not everyone is experiencing all or any of these problems,as far as I am aware.
    OK, that is good to know, from what I've seen of it I really like it, and was expecting to like it when I get it in person. Reassuring to know it is only isolated cases that are experiencing problems. Thank you for speedy reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

YouTube has been updated in line with lollipop design standards.

Direct Download is here
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/youtube/youtube-6-0-11-apk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Same here, no problems with lollipop on N4, N9 or N10.

I've seen reports of problems on original N7 but likely related to now slighted dated hardware.
    The N7 2013 update was resulting in some users having issues with video playback. I've as sneaky suspicion google pulled the rollout until 5.0.1 was ready. Im expecting to see 5.0.1 OTA shortly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement