Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

pedatron wrote: »
    Much work? I've used Android SDK before just don't wanna get too bogged down as It's my sisters phone and she's even more impatient than I am. It won't interfere with future OTA updates will it? Does it perform a full wipe on the device? (not a deal breaker just want to make sure she knows.)

Performs a full wipe.
    Piss all work if youve used the sdk before. Extract the zip to the folder with the adb/fastboot programs. Reboot into fastboot. Open command prompt. CD to the right directory. run flash-all.bat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

laoisfan wrote: »
    The factory images for Android L (5.0) are available here.

I installed it on my Nexux 7 (2012 WiFi model) this morning.

Any idea when this is rolling OTA? Apologies if answered previously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Following on from Professey Chin's post, there's a, at most, 5 click, Unlock, then Flash Stock process, using Nexus Root Toolkit, hosted at:

http://www.wugfresh.com/

---

The process of unlocking and/or Flashing a stock image, erases your phone/device..

Edit: The Play Store update bars on the lock screen, small but neat feature.. in fact, the information fed to the lock screen, as a whole, is a big change for me.. much needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Any idea when this is rolling OTA? Apologies if answered previously

Nobody knows until there are reports of owners receiving them

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Amalgam wrote: »
    Following on from Professey Chin's post, there's a, at most, 5 click, Unlock, then Flash Stock process, using Nexus Root Toolkit, hosted at:

http://www.wugfresh.com/

---

The process of unlocking and/or Flashing a stock image, erases your phone/device..

Edit: The Play Store update bars on the lock screen, small but neat feature.. in fact, the information fed to the lock screen, as a whole, is a big change for me.. much needed.

+1 for this, used it a few times on N7 and N4.

Be sure to go through the 'Initial set up' process to get things in order before doing anything to your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭smackyB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I've Android Lollipop Developer Preview on my Nexus 7, I'm doing to have to flash it now and fully flash it to install the final version right?

For anyone who wants to sideload the official update to their Nexus 7 2013's.

Just click on 5.0 under Nexus 7 here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

As stated before my N5 is acting the maggot the last while so I really need this to be updated pronto. I can waits no more. Any news on anyone in Ireland getting it OTA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

As stated before my N5 is acting the maggot the last while so I really need this to be updated pronto. I can waits no more. Any news on anyone in Ireland getting it OTA?

Flash it yourself, its handy on Windows....

I flashed it last night on my N5, full day battery so far with heavy enough usage, bout 12% left at this time is great - will it last though... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Fieldog wrote: »

I flashed it last night on my N5, full day battery so far with heavy enough usage, bout 12% left at this time is great - will it last though... :)

It is probably even better to do a clean install yourself rather than an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭EvanKelly6

It is probably even better to do a clean install yourself rather than an update.

Is installing the OTA zip file anyway 'unofficial'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

EvanKelly6 wrote: »
    Is installing the OTA zip file anyway 'unofficial'?

No the exact same as installing it OTA, but when i said do a clean install I meant flash the factory image.

No the exact same as installing it OTA, but when i said do a clean install I meant flash the factory image.

Thanks. Might go ahead with that later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Fieldog wrote: »

tried to flash mine twice using a walkthrough, both times i just ended up with a fresh install of 4.4.4 :confused: think il give it a go tomorrow when im a bit more fresh headed

edit***
    Im an idiot hahhahahaha cant believe how stupid i am, i thought i just had to match the build number but i just downloaded 4.4.4!!

theres only one build on the dev page ( 5.0 (LRX21O) ) i take it i just use that

The only thing is the "Erasing all data on target device" thing.

That's scaring me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

The only thing is the "Erasing all data on target device" thing.

That's scaring me.

If your bootloader is already unlocked, it is possible to flash a factory image with out wiping your data. Instructions are here.

Bootloader isn't unlocked so that's that out of the way. AS I speak my phone just turned off again. It may not be a bad thing to have a factory reset happen.

Just did a factory reset myself. The process begins.

EDIT: Reset seemed to freeze and now I just have the Blue, Red, Yellow and Green circles rotating repeatedly on the screen. Phone going nowhere. Can't access boot menu now either. GAH!

EDIT2: Got it to try the format factory reset function again. It looks like it's frozen again. How can I tell either way?

EDIT3: The second reset did the trick.

EDIT4: Giving up. Waiting on the OTA. Happy enough the factory reset seems to have resolved the reset issues my phone was having so not a total loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Success... I had to monkey a bit but got there eventually (n10) :

1. Unroot and flashed stock with nrt
    2. Tried to root with nrt but it failed a few times
    3. Root with chainfire's cf
    4. Restore apps and settings with nrt
    5. Voila!

Smoother than kitkat, getting ised to the double pull down for settings. All working ok, just researching to enable translucent bars again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Installed the ota on my stock N7 last night, all very straightforward, definitely seems a bit slicker with the animations, the settings pull down & the recent apps display are the biggest changes I've noticed so far anyway.

Got it installed after about 3 hours. Needed to flash it back to Stock android first which took my while. Turns out I just had problems with drivers and I resolved that. Pretty easy after that. Love the new look too. Definitely worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

So I've had it on my Nexus 7 (2012 WiFi model) a little over a day. Definitely notice some lagging, one or two crash randomly (could be the app requires updating).

Lollipop on the 2012 Nexus 7: Not great, but not much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

How is everybody finding battery life with the Nexus 5 and Lollipop?

I left the house at 9am with 85% battery, 4 hours later I'm down to 64% and the phone was in my pocket more or less all morning (9m screen on time). This is worse than Kitkat so far. :(

The apps listed as draining the most were Exchange Services at 10%, Google Play Services at 6%, Standby at 2% and Facebook at 1%. I guess something must be up with Exchange, never drained this much before.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Goolay

Waiting patiently for the OTA but tempted to flash it.

Quick question though - will this invalidate the warranty? I already had to RMA one N5 so wouldn't like to lose the remaining warranty

• Advertisement

Goolay wrote: »
    Waiting patiently for the OTA but tempted to flash it.

Quick question though - will this invalidate the warranty? I already had to RMA one N5 so wouldn't like to lose the remaining warranty

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Goolay

laoisfan wrote: »
    No.

Score - thanks! I thought unlocking the bootloader might have caused issues there.

Lovely thanks

Edit: that worked a treat, all updated

Goolay wrote: »
    Score - thanks! I thought unlocking the bootloader might have caused issues there.

Lovely thanks

If you follow the link I post a few comments back Google ask you to unlock your bootloader at the start and then at the end lock your bootloader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

How is everybody finding battery life with the Nexus 5 and Lollipop?

I left the house at 9am with 85% battery, 4 hours later I'm down to 64% and the phone was in my pocket more or less all morning (9m screen on time). This is worse than Kitkat so far. :(

The apps listed as draining the most were Exchange Services at 10%, Google Play Services at 6%, Standby at 2% and Facebook at 1%. I guess something must be up with Exchange, never drained this much before.

Unplugged mine at 8am, now at 70% battery.

Screen on time of 38min+. I've been listening to tune in and play music all morning in work. Browsing the web and checking email etc.

I'd say you need a reboot to stop exchange from running, perhaps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Nexus 5 OTA update screenshots have started to appear on Google plus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Whats the easiest way to go from cyanogenmod cm11 to lollipop? Do i need to flash it back to stock kit kat android and then update to lollipop? I'm using a nexus 7 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Whats the easiest way to go from cyanogenmod cm11 to lollipop? Do i need to flash it back to stock kit kat android and then update to lollipop? I'm using a nexus 7 2013.

If your going to be flashing, why not just flash the factory image for lollipop?

As your on a custom rom, your going to wipe your device anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Ye just got it flashed straight to lollipop through nexus root toolkit.

Been running it since yesterday liking it so far, only thing i HATE is the stock gallery app, i just dont like it. So i sideloaded the KK gallery apk and now im happy again :D, had one random restart but other than that its running buttery smooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Updated my n4 last night. So far so good. Wasn't crazy at first on the new keyboard but its growing on me. Might stick with it and ditch swiftkey. Love the new intelligent face unlock feature. Am I missing something or is there no way of closing all app tabs at once? I have to swipe each one away individually?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

So will the update to lollipop also come through on the Software Update section on the Nexus device itself so you don't have to update manually?

reni10 wrote: »
    So will the update to lollipop also come through on the Software Update section on the Nexus device itself so you don't have to update manually?

As long as you are not rooted then it will eventually but you can download and flash the image straight away from here. (LRX21T)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Gah, went to the do final update from preview to full yesterday but got the dreaded "system .img missing" error.

Bit of a pain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

I've been running Lollipop on my Nexus 5 and 2012 Nexus 7 since Thursday (flashed factory image on both). I mostly like it so far and don't notice the 7 any slower than usual (if that'd be possible). I don't like the keyboard at all so it was back to swiftkey with the 'material dark' theme for me.

One thing I find frustrating is that they removed the quick toggles for silent mode from when you long press the power button. So when I'm listening to music, the volume toggles obviously control that, so the only way I can mute the notification sound is by digging through the settings for the 'sound' area. I've since installed a homescreen widget for this, but this feels like a step backwards. Am I missing something?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Gah, went to the do final update from preview to full yesterday but got the dreaded "system .img missing" error.

Bit of a pain!

Did you unzip the file and try again? Read that works on android police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    As long as you are not rooted then it will eventually but you can download and flash the image straight away from here. (LRX21T)

Don't you have to wipe everything though if you do it manually and if you wait until you get the notification update you won't have to wipe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I hope that it isn't an automatic update. I want to see the reviews before changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

reni10 wrote: »

It will eventually yeah, its rolling out OTA at the moment, you will have it soon enough I reckon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Talon (lollipop version) and Battery widget reborn both look great on lollipop.

I'm surprised they didn't fix the weird formatting when you tap on the WiFi network you're connected to on the Nexus 7.

Looks really weird seeing it with the format wrong.

Secu
    Rity

Stuff like that

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Irlandczyk

I'm surprised they didn't fix the weird formatting when you tap on the WiFi network you're connected to on the Nexus 7.

Looks really weird seeing it with the format wrong.

Secu
    Rity

Stuff like that

Aye, just noticed that now, actually. I expect that and some other little niggles will be fixed in the next update. All in all though, this seems a pretty good update. Got Nexus 5 and 7 updated this morning and have been playing around with them a little. Very fast, and the animations are absolutely beautiful. Not sure how battery will be just yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

No sign of the OTA on my 2013 N7 yet. It was rooted at one stage, but I unrooted it a few months ago. The boot loader is still unlocked, though. Would that kind of messing around in the past have any effect on the ota? Would it mean I'll have to manually flash?

Getting a weird issue in chrome , when i click a youtube link it opens in the browser not in the youtube app, tried clearing defaults and app data but nope it refuses to give the the option to open in the app, not the end of the world but annoying none the less

Also had to remove the KK gallery, the gallery works fine but it crashes every time i try to edit a picture. Can anyone recommend a good gallery app?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

No sign of the OTA on my 2013 N7 yet. It was rooted at one stage, but I unrooted it a few months ago. The boot loader is still unlocked, though. Would that kind of messing around in the past have any effect on the ota? Would it mean I'll have to manually flash?

Google stagger the number of devices from a small number initially and increase it every day until it flags them all for an OTA. Don't panic if you haven't recieved the OTA yet as it has taken up to two weeks in past Nexus OTA deployments. It means google can pull the update if they discover any bugs before it hits all devices.

I still have not received the OTA for N4, N7 (2013) nor N10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

projectgtr wrote: »
    Getting a weird issue in chrome , when i click a youtube link it opens in the browser not in the youtube app, tried clearing defaults and app data but nope it refuses to give the the option to open in the app, not the end of the world but annoying none the less

I've been getting that issue with chrome for about a month now, on 4.4.4 . Seems like it's forgetting the default action every time I click on s YouTube link in the browser. Annoying, but I don't think it's linked to lollipop.

Just on the gallery, have you tried the HTC camera app? It's a standalone app now, and if you have a device that it'll work on , the gallery in it is really nice.

Another gallery worth looking at is QuickPic. I have an M7, so I'm happy with the HTC gallery, but quickpic seems very highly rated.

Advertisement