Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android 5.0 and Nexus announcement thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Got it OTA on Nexus 4. Seems to be stuck in "bootloop" (if that's what infinite spinning logo things means). Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Got it OTA on Nexus 4. Seems to be stuck in "bootloop" (if that's what infinite spinning logo things means). Any advice?

How long have they been spinning? First boot does take about 4 mins.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    How long have they been spinning? First boot does take about 4 mins.

It's been several hours now, I'm getting dizzy. I've turned it on and off, tried to load a boot menu...still spinning dots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

It's been several hours now, I'm getting dizzy. I've turned it on and off, tried to load a boot menu...still spinning dots.

I'd get the factory image, something's gone wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Boot into fastboot menu by powering off phone and then turning it on again holding volume down button.
    Then select recovery mode and when that loads press volume up and power until menu appears to clear cache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

corkie wrote: »

Battery Percent for KitKat/L

Or HD widgets has a widget that display battery percent along with other toggles

The percentage is there when you pull down settings. Is there any way to make the font bigger on the Google search ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Got notified of OTA update on Nexus 4 last night so left it downloading overnight, woke up this morning and and chose to 'restart and install'. Came back 5 minutes later and Nexus was on lock screen. Nothing looked any different - so checked and still at 4.4.4, and am getting told my 'system is up to date' under Settings.

Any thoughts of how to get it to reapply?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Basq wrote: »
    Got notified of OTA update on Nexus 4 last night so left it downloading overnight, woke up this morning and and chose to 'restart and install'. Came back 5 minutes later and Nexus was on lock screen. Nothing looked any different - so checked and still at 4.4.4, and am getting told my 'system is up to date' under Settings.

Any thoughts of how to get it to reapply?

IMHO the easiest way to flash a rom on a Nexus device is via the toolkit provided at http://www.wugfresh.com/

It provides tools to install the required drivers, unlock the bootloader, root the phone and a tool to flash a new ROM.

There are other ways of course, but I used this on my N4 and N7 with no hassle.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

corkie wrote: »

Battery Percent for KitKat/L

Or HD widgets has a widget that display battery percent along with other toggles
    Cheers, the Battery Percent for KitKat/L is tiny, very hard to make out clearly and for others like HD widgets you have a persistent notification on your lock screen which is abit annoying.

Seems like an odd feature to be removed, hopefully they bring it back in 5.1! For the time being I just have put a battery widget on the homescreen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

laoisfan wrote: »
    Agree, have the 2012 Nexus 7 as well and not impressed. Lagging, certain apps just closing of a sudden. Hopefully they can address with an update, else I'll flash 4.4.4.

So I did a factory reset last night and upon logging in with my Gmail account I decided to set the device up as a new device, not restore from a previous backup.

Downloaded & installed majority of the apps I used again.

It is running normal now, no lag. Speed wise I personally think it is no faster or slower than KitKat.

ongarite wrote: »
    Boot into fastboot menu by powering off phone and then turning it on again holding volume down button.
    Then select recovery mode and when that loads press volume up and power until menu appears to clear cache.

Recovery mode won't load, I just get a picture of the android dude and he looks dead. So over these spinning dots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Recovery mode won't load, I just get a picture of the android dude and he looks dead. So over these spinning dots.

The android on his back is recovery mode.

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    It's not a great experience on the nexus 7 2012, it lags.

Set it up as a new device after installing, do not restore.

I did a restore and the lags were terrible. Did a factory reset last night, set up as a new device and it's running fine now, no faster or slower than KitKat imo.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    The android on his back is recovery mode.

Yup, I get him, and underneath him it says 'no command'. I tried holding power and volume up buuut we just go straight back to the spinning dots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yup, I get him, and underneath him it says 'no command'. I tried holding power and volume up buuut we just go straight back to the spinning dots.

You don't hold power and volume up as that will power cycle the phone.
    You press both together for a moment as if you are changing the volume on a song or ringtone volume.
    It may take a few attempts to get it to work and then a menu will appear with 4 options like clear cache, wipe/factory reset and adb mode.

• Advertisement

ongarite wrote: »
    You don't hold power and volume up as that will power cycle the phone.
    You press both together for a moment as if you are changing the volume on a song or ringtone volume.
    It may take a few attempts to get it to work and then a menu will appear with 4 options like clear cache, wipe/factory reset and adb mode.

Thank you for your patience, it's appreciated. I cleared the cache, rebooted, back to the dots! Anyone have a spare blokia?

I repeatedly selected EVERY option in recovery mode (got a tad frustrated) and, miracle of miracles, it rebooted.

DEATH TO THE SPINNING DOTS.

Ongarite thank you, you're my new favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

listermint wrote: »
    Unsure if its required, but doing it after most updates and it always seems to be snappier on the 7

http://www.robschmuecker.com/fix-nexus-7-lag/

couple of simple steps to clear the cache partition.
    It's not a great experience on the nexus 7 2012, it lags.

for lag do above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

No faster or slower for me so far, might give the wipe thingy a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

listermint wrote: »
    for lag do above

Already did, no difference.
    Ruu wrote: »
    No faster or slower for me so far, might give the wipe thingy a go.

Won't improve, mine was a factory image install, not upgrade. It's prob ok if you just use a browser, but for me I jump from browser, to Twitter app to Yatse app or Google Music etc, it's the end of the road for this hardware, multitasking is poor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Already did, no difference.

Won't improve, mine was a factory image install, not upgrade. It's prob ok if you just use a browser, but for me I jump from browser, to Twitter app to Yatse app or Google Music etc, it's the end of the road for this hardware, multitasking is poor

Worked for me, Perfectly fine and sped it up instantly. But hey its a 2012 device. What are you expecting tbf?

end of road ? yeah maybe if i was super multitasking rather than reading stuff and streaming stuff to chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Does anyone have their Nexus 10 on 5.0 from the OTA update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Still not OTA for my Nexus 5 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

They are only doing the 'Soak Test' now, so if you were not one of the 1% of users to get OTA already then it will be a week before they send out more.... even then its only to the next 25% of users.. another week sees the rest of us getting it soooo unless your doing a DIY job your in for a few weeks of wait. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

ixoy wrote: »
    So is the Gallery gone? It's vanished from mine after I updated today.
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Quick pic is pretty good.

Just sideload the KitKat Gallery apk, i done it day one, the photos app is shocking bad, only feature that doesnt come across is the edit section of the app, it still uses the photos edit though not the end of the day, but i loved the simplicity of the KK Gallery edit features

god's toy wrote: »
    They are only doing the 'Soak Test' now, so if you were not one of the 1% of users to get OTA already then it will be a week before they send out more.... even then its only to the next 25% of users.. another week sees the rest of us getting it soooo unless your doing a DIY job your in for a few weeks of wait. :(

It's weird. I'm hearing of friends who've got the update every day over the passed 4 or 5 days, on various devices. Bizarre way they're trickling it out. Had KitKit pretty much straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just got the notification to update OTA on my nexus 5. Downloading now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just got the notification to update OTA on my nexus 5. Downloading now.

Same as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just got the update ota on my nexus 5. I'm sure I'll get used to it but honestly I'm not loving it from the get go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I like the new battery saver mode .
    When you activate it you get the usual reduced performance and a new orange band top and bottom of the screen .
    Im liking 5.0 so far on my N7 2012

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Question. With Gallery gone, things are now in Photos. It said I had to enable Google+ use this, which seem to work fine. In the long run can I use the app without having to subsequently active a Google+ account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm liking it!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I got the notification earlier for my N5 but I got a phone call just as it started installing. When I finished my call no sign of the update any more. Gah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

On reading the Nexus 5 updates are starting I fired up my old N5 and what do you know, 5.0 waiting for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭HibernianRunner

My nexus 7 (2012) is downloading lollipop upgrade right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Maybe I just don't know my way around it yet, but I'm not a fan at all. Seems to have made things very convoluted, especially differentiating between silent/vibrate/loud. On the older android, I could have my phone on vibrate for phone calls, and have whatsapp messages be silent, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it now. It's quite annoying. The different options it gives you for "priority, all, none" doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. Cant I just have phone on vibrate?

Again, I may not be using it correctly, but I've had it for 24 hours now and it's not really getting any easier to navigate. (Rant over)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

dulux99 wrote: »
    Maybe I just don't know my way around it yet, but I'm not a fan at all. Seems to have made things very convoluted, especially differentiating between silent/vibrate/loud. On the older android, I could have my phone on vibrate for phone calls, and have whatsapp messages be silent, but I can't seem to figure out how to do it now. It's quite annoying. The different options it gives you for "priority, all, none" doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. Cant I just have phone on vibrate?

Again, I may not be using it correctly, but I've had it for 24 hours now and it's not really getting any easier to navigate. (Rant over)

From googling it now, there's an option for putting the phone on silent, but this disables the notification light for some baffling reason. I thought the notification light was basically there, to show you had a notification, without your phone going off? So frustrating. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

Cheers, the Battery Percent for KitKat/L is tiny, very hard to make out clearly and for others like HD widgets you have a persistent notification on your lock screen which is abit annoying.

I don't have a persistent notification for HD widgets, but I have the paid version. It ages ago that I got it. (Since 28/09/12)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Anyone know if lollipop fixes the mm qcamera issue killing the battery on the N5? Restarting at least twice a day to kill it! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

Question. With Gallery gone, things are now in Photos. It said I had to enable Google+ use this, which seem to work fine. In the long run can I use the app without having to subsequently active a Google+ account?

Would be interested to know the answer to this also.

I don't use Google +. I don't want to use it either.

What put me off was - delete it on Google + and it deletes off the device. Ridiculous.

Edit: Still f*cking waiting! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

I can see how to switch on/off wifi, but can't see how to turn off mobile data?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No sign of the Moto G update yet :(
    Although with Nova Launcher and the Flatro icon set it's looking pretty snazzy anyway...

Although you don't need a Google+ account to use the new Photos app, you still have to have the Google+ app 'enabled'. I had it disabled because there was no need to have it (possibly) running in the background. It's a bit of a stupid change I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

5starpool wrote: »
    I got the notification earlier for my N5 but I got a phone call just as it started installing. When I finished my call no sign of the update any more. Gah!

Look in settings,system,about phone, system updates. Should be there

• Advertisement

Google hate me. Still nothing on my N5 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Anyone else with a Nexus 7 finding it even slower after the update?

keano_afc wrote: »
    Anyone else with a Nexus 7 finding it even slower after the update?

Do a factory reset & set it up as a new device, do not restore backups.

I had to do this for N7 (2012 model) even after I flashed the original image (not OTA).

It is running normal now, neither faster or slower than KitKat.

You will have re-download your apps again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭EvanKelly6

Anyone have any battery problems? I feel like mine is running down a lot quicker. I'm on 94% and it says that there's approximately 4 hours left? Would this be correct?

• Advertisement
Advertisement