Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serbia v Albania

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Serbs to be kicked out? Empty stadium rest of way at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not sure how many more chances Serbia get. Let's see uefa do something now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Yes, it surely seems like Serbia time is up and they wil have tobget some sort severe punishment now.

I'm amazed more fans did not enter pitch . Thankfully not, but could have got real nasty if they had

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Not sure how many more chances Serbia get. Let's see uefa do something now.

Uefa will do nothing, Fine and game played behind closed doors!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-oY0DuMkak

This was the scene is Kosovo!

Wouldnt say the Shamrock Rovers hooligans would cause any **** over there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Whoever flew the drone into the stadium is to blame.

From reports it's meant to be an Albanian too, brother of one of the head guys as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Whoever flew the drone into the stadium is to blame.

From reports it's meant to be an Albanian too, brother of one of the head guys as well.

Things were problematic long before that happened though.

Flares, chairs, bottles,... being thrown at Albanian players etc.

Seriously how in the **** are Serbia allowed to host matches still? There wasn't long before their fans were on the pitch and the security may as well not have been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Throw them out. Harsh on the team but their FA allowing the same idiots get tickets every game deserves nothing less. That bald headed guy on the pitch in the video is the same guy from their rioting in Italy a couple of years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Yes, it surely seems like Serbia time is up and they wil have tobget some sort severe punishment now.

I'm amazed more fans did not enter pitch . Thankfully not, but could have got real nasty if they had

That's what I find mental about it from the Albanian players' reaction. They were outnumbered about 5,000 to one in a ground with easy enough access to the pitch and lunatic fans with a history. They were very lucky it didn't get nastier.

UEFA could easily say their reaction incited the riot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

dfx- wrote: »
    That's what I find mental about it from the Albanian players' reaction. They were outnumbered about 5,000 to one in a ground with easy enough access to the pitch and lunatic fans with a history. They were very lucky it didn't get nastier.

UEFA could easily say their reaction incited the riot

And UEFA would be wrong.

From that video I can see nothing wrong with what they did. They threw some digs in self defense (a couple of good ones too) and got off the pitch as a group when it was clear their safety was in jeapordy.

Serbia should be banned from International competition full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Albania players shouldnt have reacted how they did but it's understandable given the level of abuse they were reportedly being subjected to. Something needs to be done about Serbia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

And UEFA: how in the name of jaysus are Serbia and Albania allowed in the same group? If we're splitting Spain and Gibraltor for political reasons like!!

Still, Serbia have a history and seemingly no interest in improving their behaviour. Time to remove them as a consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can people please refrain from calling these thugs "fans" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Albania players shouldnt have reacted how they did but it's understandable given the level of abuse they were reportedly being subjected to. Something needs to be done about Serbia.

Hmmm.
    Sounds like something from a hundred years ago that line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

vicwatson wrote: »

They're in the ground, they're fans. It's up to the FA to keep them out, then you can see it wasn't fans that caused it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

vicwatson wrote: »

no, that's the bolloxology line that's rolled out by people when fans of their team act the animal.

These people ARE fans - fans of the clubs who embrace the culture and let them effectively run the clubs, fans of the national team where the Serbian FA allow them to get away with the same thing.

It goes on all over Eastern Europe, even as far as Italy where these far-right, racists hold sway, not only in football clubs, but in almost all aspects of life.

It's actually a deeper thing than out and out racism - it's seeded in a genuine fear of the left/communism - remember, 25 years ago all of these countries were under the thumb of Russia, and even lads I know from the younger generation, too young to remember any of that era, are still afraid to vote for even moderately left-leaning political parties.

Of course, the kind of extreme nationalism/right wing ideals are the reaction to 70 years of subjugation to communist dictatorships, and even longer, more deep-rooted ethnic tensions.

To blame the Serbs only is a pretty lopsided view.

I agree that their football fans are usually the ones causing outrage, and something should be done - but some Albanian/Kosovar flew a provocative flag over the stadium, it was almost guaranteed to start a riot.

While Serbian fans have had their moments, surely this time the Albanians should be in trouble. I mean, the brother of their PM trying to provoke a riot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hmmm.
    Sounds like something from a hundred years ago that line.

I meant more from a football standpoint and not an ethic cleansing one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Ok, clearly UEFA messed up by not applying the same partition in their draw that they do to the likes of Armenia and Azerbaijan (as a side note, a few years ago when Azerbaijan hosted the Eurovision Armenia refused to take part).

The most sensible solution at this stage is to host both of the games between these teams in this group in a nearby neutral venue like somewhere in Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And UEFA: how in the name of jaysus are Serbia and Albania allowed in the same group? If we're splitting Spain and Gibraltor for political reasons like!!

UEFA would have asked both FAs pre the draw whether there was a problem with such a fixture, so both must have given the go-ahead for it.
    Over the years UEFA have had no problem doing these splits, Russia & Georgia and Turkey & Greece are others that I remember from certain times as being segregated in draws.

Its a bit unfair to aftertime it as other potentially combustible games in the region have gone ahead with minimal problems, like Bosnia v Serbia or Croatia v Serbia, Greece v Macedonia etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ok, clearly UEFA messed up by not applying the same partition in their draw that they do to the likes of Armenia and Azerbaijan (as a side note, a few years ago when Azerbaijan hosted the Eurovision Armenia refused to take part).

The most sensible solution at this stage is to host both of the games between these teams in this group in a nearby neutral venue like somewhere in Italy.

Not sure Italy would be the best place to be honest! If Serbia are sanctioned so should Albania be, the drone stunt was a crazy provocation. Makes Souness flag planting look sane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

While Serbian fans have had their moments, surely this time the Albanians should be in trouble. I mean, the brother of their PM trying to provoke a riot?

agree. what ever sanctions Serbia get, should be doubled for Albania. its their players and supporters that kicked off this.

had their players been more composed, this mess wouldnt have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Serbian players to their credit were telling fans to get off the pitch and trying to stop them getting to the Albanians. Remarkable when you consider the Albanians went crazy over the Serbian taking the flag off the drone.

Punish the fans, not the team IMO. Play the games behind closed doors or neutral venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Fleg fury.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Bit sickening seeing that fan attacking an Albanian player with a chair near the centre circle. Delighted to see Cana give him a good thumping when he got hold of him.

Serbia should be punished for the pathetic security if nothing else.

There were no albanian fans there, officially. Albanian fa can't be held responsible sure can they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gufc21 wrote: »
    There were no albanian fans there, officially. Albanian fa can't be held responsible sure can they?

There was a few thousand Albanian fans there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

It was an Albanian that flew the drone and sparked all this though, they'll surely be somewhat punished?

• Advertisement

I know but from what I've read none of them came through the Albanian FA. Were they not offered 2000 tickets and turned it down. Any fan there was then the responsibility of Serbian FA no?

Any fan there was then the responsibility of Serbian FA no?

I wouldn't blame them when the brother of the Albanian PM wants to prompt a riot. I think the brother of the Albanian PM is responsible for his own actions.

Depends what capacity he was there in doesn't it? Irresponsible yes but if it wasn't an official capacity I'm sure albanians would have a case. Serbian stadium, security and tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭josip

Depends what capacity he was there in doesn't it? Irresponsible yes but if it wasn't an official capacity I'm sure albanians would have a case. Serbian stadium, security and tickets.

It seems he was there as a US citizen.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/euro-2016/11163216/Serbia-v-Albania-abandoned-following-mass-brawl-after-drone-flies-over-stadium-carrying-Albanian-flag.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I see another camera angle has emerged where it shows one fan entering the field of play wielding an umbrella. I thought that was only an legitimate form of attack in a over-heated junior B football match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What do people think the likely sanctions will be? I'd like to see both teams having to play the remainder of their qualifiers behind closed doors with no away fans allowed for their away games.

Some of the utter scumbags who came on to the pitch and were caught on camera should be banned for life. The English FA managed to eradicate most of this bolloxology with lifetime bans for cretins like those who came on to the pitch. It doesn't matter that an Albanian 'fan' started it, by all accounts there was going to be trouble anyway.

• Advertisement

Sanction them both

no, that's the bolloxology line that's rolled out by people when fans of their team act the animal.

These people ARE fans - fans of the clubs who embrace the culture and let them effectively run the clubs, fans of the national team where the Serbian FA allow them to get away with the same thing.

It goes on all over Eastern Europe, even as far as Italy where these far-right, racists hold sway, not only in football clubs, but in almost all aspects of life.

It's actually a deeper thing than out and out racism - it's seeded in a genuine fear of the left/communism - remember, 25 years ago all of these countries were under the thumb of Russia, and even lads I know from the younger generation, too young to remember any of that era, are still afraid to vote for even moderately left-leaning political parties.

Of course, the kind of extreme nationalism/right wing ideals are the reaction to 70 years of subjugation to communist dictatorships, and even longer, more deep-rooted ethnic tensions.

To blame the Serbs only is a pretty lopsided view.

I agree that their football fans are usually the ones causing outrage, and something should be done - but some Albanian/Kosovar flew a provocative flag over the stadium, it was almost guaranteed to start a riot.

Very good post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Very good post.

That's what ld4De9T.png is for.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sanction them both

Agree.

Although I think Serbia have used up all their lives at this stage.

Few people in Uefa should be banned too for having them in same group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I meant more from a football standpoint and not an ethic cleansing one....

The ethnic cleansing forum is that way >>>>>

;)

• Advertisement

Come on lads, it wasn't that bad, it's not like someone was waving a Palestinian flag.

Come on lads, it wasn't that bad, it's not like someone was waving a Palestinian flag.

Dundalk fans worse then Serbian fans ;)

Flying a provocative flag into your rivals stadium is insane. Imagine a tricolour on a drone over Windsor Park in 1993? Id say certain fatalities!

Unfortunately for Albania they'll get punished for whoever thought that was a good idea but they'll have to get some punishment.

It goes without saying Serbia should be punished. I wouldn't throw them out but I'd deduct points and all games behind closed doors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

While the flag was an obvious provokation, and both sides acted stupidly on the field, i'd 100% take the points from Serbia after that. Not sure that Albania deserve them either.

The security in the stadium was worse then awful. Supporters that were meant to be banned from the stadium after previous events were still there. Racist chants were being chanted during the match. The match was stopped because of an incident with a flare.

Then supporters got on the field and attacked opposition players. Stewards riled up the crowd and did nothing to stop guys getting on the field. Chairs, bottles and other objects were thrown at players trying to get into the tunnel.

If they are being consistent (Denmark v Sweden 2007) the points would be taken from the team who's supporters attacked players. All their games should be played behind closed doors.

I wouldn't be sure what sanction would be appropriate for Albania. Maybe a bit more then the €18,000 fine or whatever Dundalk got, considering the volatile nature of the situation. Maybe give no points to either side for the match?

A bit more of a fine than Dundalk? For flying a flag in and nearly starting a riot?

Id imagine it will be substantially more but you never know with UEFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

rarnes1 wrote: »
    A bit more of a fine than Dundalk? For flying a flag in and nearly starting a riot?

Id imagine it will be substantially more but you never know with UEFA
    I should have added a winky face :P

Behind closed door matches for rest of campaign and also for WC 2018 qualifiers with hefty fine for Serbia.

Both teams to get no points from it and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭josip

Albania to play the remainder of the matches in Serbian kit and vice versa.
    The Albanian national anthem to be played before Serbian matches and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

josip wrote: »
    Albania to play the remainder of the matches in Serbian kit and vice versa.
    The Albanian national anthem to be played before Serbian matches and vice versa.

With drones carrying flegs hovering over them as they line up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Remove kebab.

• Advertisement
Advertisement