Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor fees

Options
  • 15-10-2014 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I've just gone sale agreed on a house, it came as quite a surprise as we managed to bag a cancellation. After a couple of months unsuccessfully bidding on houses we had put the brakes on house hunting for a bit until we got a call yesterday. We haven't yet got a solicitor.

Anyway, as a ftb I am a bit clueless to the process involving solicitors. I will be shopping around today as I need to find one before lunchtime. We are buying a new build, we are ready to go as we don't have to sell up. We have mortgage approval in place and a broker who is really efficient working on our behalf. The house is completed and ready. As I understand this should cost less than if we were selling our own home but on average how much should the fees come in at?

If allowed (Mods feel free to delete if needed) can anyone recommend reasonable solicitors in and around north west Dublin/ Meath,

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

I would shop around,, just ring up and get a quote from each.. the prices vary greatly.. If possible get one local to the property they may know the ins and outs of the area etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I was quoted around 2300 recently, my mortgage broker reckons this is the norm and if it was any cheaper he would be asking questions.

I'm in Cork though, not sure if it varies depending on location.

murph226 wrote: »
    I was quoted around 2300 recently, my mortgage broker reckons this is the norm and if it was any cheaper he would be asking questions.

I'm in Cork though, not sure if it varies depending on location.

Is that including stamp duty and land registry? Otherwise that seems awful steep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Land registry yes, stamp duty no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We paid €1450 plus VAT for our solicitors fees recently (just got the keys today!).

That is just for the conveyancing fees, not land registry etc. we also paid an extra €200 to get our wills drawn up at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

Congrats!! so how much did it come in total? (Without stamp duty and wills)? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Funnyonion79

Hi we used an excellent solicitor back in 2012 based in Dublin City centre. We paid €1700 for everything to do with the house we were buying and he was on the ball and prompt - we didn't have to chase him like we had to do with previous solicitors. PM me if you would like his details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

uli84 wrote: »
    Congrats!! so how much did it come in total? (Without stamp duty and wills)? Thanks

Excluding stamp duty and the fee for wills we paid:

Conveyancing €1450
    Postage, photocopying etc €50
    Vat €345

Property registration authority fee €915
    Search fees €80
    Bank transfer fees €20

So €2860 total. I happened to have the documents next to me.

Our solicitor was excellent. It took 7 weeks from going sale agreed to getting the keys and he definitely helped with it happening so quick. He's not in west dublin or Meath though otherwise I'd recommend him to the OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Thanks for the replies we shopped around and the quotes certainly varied. The highest quote was €3000.

Our broker recommended one and we got everything included for €2064. Happy enough with that I just hope they are on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Thanks for the replies we shopped around and the quotes certainly varied. The highest quote was €3000.

Our broker recommended one and we got everything included for €2064. Happy enough with that I just hope they are on the ball.

• Advertisement
Advertisement