Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for baby gifts for new baby

Options
  • 15-10-2014 9:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭

I recently became a first time Aunt and I'm looking for ideas for a baby gift. I already have a range of bits gathered up like some baby outfits (3 of them from next) and a beautiful teddy in which I trawled the internet for and I'm happy with them. I'm looking for something else though to go with the stuff I have. I've been having a look online at such things like personalised baby towels, Sofie the giraffe, the very hungry caterpillar soft book and loads more other bits but I don't what else to go for. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Cloths, lots of cloths. But tbh the best thing you could do would be to bring round dinner/fill the freezer with homemade food and hold the baby so the mammy can have a shower/nap.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

I recently became a first time Aunt and I'm looking for ideas for a baby gift. I already have a range of bits gathered up like some baby outfits (3 of them from next) and a beautiful teddy in which I trawled the internet for and I'm happy with them. I'm looking for something else though to go with the stuff I have. I've been having a look online at such things like personalised baby towels, Sofie the giraffe, the very hungry caterpillar soft book and loads more other bits but I don't what else to go for. Any ideas?

A friend gave us a blanket which she had brought to a seamstress who had embroidered our LO's name and date of birth. It was a really special gift and we loved it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Voucher for the local wine shop and pizza delivery place! That one was most appreciated by me. :)

There are loads of things you can get. Little trains with their names on it. Blankets are nice. Books are very popular with me. Sofie giraffe is a nice one too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Cloths, lots of cloths. But tbh the best thing you could do would be to bring round dinner/fill the freezer with homemade food and hold the baby so the mammy can have a shower/nap.

Thanks for a wonderful idea. I wish I could but the baby was born in Australia and the family is there too. So I'm going to be useless for that. I should have mentioned it in the first post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Anyways I need to rush out the door but I'll come back to this later and thanks to all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

If you're getting any clothes for a baby under 1 make sure they're soft, comfortable and easy to get on/off. Everything they wear needs to suitable for sleeping in also.
    I got so many gifts of uncomfortable hard denim outfits, things with big hoods, hard buttons down the back. Got no use out of these clothes (unless you're lucky enough to have a baby who will sleep anywhere in anything!).
    Also be mindful of what the weather will be like when the clothes fit them. I just got two summer dresses which will fit my baby in January!!

Thanks for a wonderful idea. I wish I could but the baby was born in Australia and the family is there too. So I'm going to be useless for that. I should have mentioned it in the first post.

In that case a voucher for a cleaning service or a hamper of ready meals. Also if they're in aus then be doubly mindful of weather when buying clothes- we're in NZ and got loads of gifts that they couldn't wear cause of the seasonal difference. A care package from home with crisps and chocolate and tea would probably be appreciated too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Are you based in Dublin OP? there is a place in Ilac centre where you can personalise gifts, with names dates ect, my cousin had a baby and I got a pic of the baby and got it put on a teddy, so the teddy was a lil yellow duck wearing a white t-shirt and babies pic was on the t-shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Grobags are my gift of choice!

They're not exactly cheap, and every parent needs at least 2, or maybe 3 in case of accidents.

You can get them new on Amazon or Ebay .. and i'd always get 6-18 months in 2.5 tog.

They'll be guaranteed to get loads of use and wear out of it too :)

Edit: Please don't get teddies! Babies are too young for most of them, they clutter the house and collect dust! I used to curse when I saw them coming :s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Not to hijack the thread but im in a similar situation, I'll be visiting the new baby at christmas (im the one abroad) and will be giving the gifts I've collected for her then (shes due this month). Anyway I just want to ask what mothers think of vouchers? just as something to send in the meantime, would you actually spend them or do you get enough stuff as gifts that you wont be spending your new baby time shopping? Also if they are useful what shop so you find you'd get most benefit from?

I know nothing about babies and baby gifts incase you cant tell :O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

One4All vouchers are ideal! Think you can buy them online too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

This is probably going to sound stupid but if you are going to get the baby anything with their name on it do make sure you have the name right! I know, you're probably rolling your eyes and saying "well, duh!" but one of my in-laws got our child something with her name on it but they didn't.

A book of children's stories/nursery rhymes might be a nice idea. Mam/Dad could read the baby some nursery ryhmes now and the stories when baby is a toddler. That way the gift can be used now but also will last and hopefully when your niece/nephew grows out of bedtime stories the book will be put up and someday they can bring it out again and read it to their children, if they have children.

Another possible idea is to get a picture the baby and get a professional sketch done of the picture. Maybe ask your sibling to send you a favourite picture, in an e-mail even, and you could get someone to make an A4-ish sized sketch of it. The artist could put the baby's name and date of birth in the corner maybe. You could then put it in a nice frame as long as that's not too heavy to send.

And Noo, I think vouchers are a good idea too because you can put them up for a few months and get the baby some new clothes when they've outgrown their current ones. Lots of people give fluffy, gorgeous newborn clothes which is of course appreciated but the baby only gets a few weeks before they need a bigger size!

One4All vouchers as indigo twist said, would be great because they can be used in a variety of shops. Unless you know that the parent/s are big fans of a particular shop eg Pennys/Tesco/Dunnes. None of these shops take One4All vouchers and the parent/s might prefer to stock up on loads of babygros from Pennys rather than get one or two nice outfits from the more expensive shops.

I've been looking for handmade irish things for babies recently. I found a nice carpenter who makes childrens furniture (wooden chair, step etc), and engraves the childs name into it if you like.

Quilts are lovely, and not too tricky if you have a machine. We got a lovely one made by a friend for one of my children, and I'm trying to make one myself at the moment for my new nephew. I'm trying to personalise it a bit... I've put in some pieces of his dads sport tops, and a bit of one of his mums old t-shirts from her school team. They sound a bit old-fashioned, I baulked at the idea of it, but I had this old notion of tiny florals. That's not what modern quilts are at all anymore.

Here are two irish shops for buying quilt fabric.

http://fluffysheepquilting.com/

http://www.floppyfabrics.ie/shopping/floppyfabrics/?cat=Fat-Quarter-Bundles-Charm-Packs-Jelly-Rolls-Layer-Cakes&subcat=Fat-Quarter-Bundles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

pwurple wrote: »
    I've been looking for handmade irish things for babies recently. I found a nice carpenter who makes childrens furniture (wooden chair, step etc), and engraves the childs name into it if you like.
    On I think this guy us in Marley park at the weekends?

Other nice gifts we got were a really lovely moneybox (every baby needs one!), handmade letters for his bedroom door, a beautiful handmade book and a tree planted in his name.

yellow hen wrote: »
    On I think this guy us in Marley park at the weekends? .

Nope, don't know Marley park. i live in Cork, carpenter also lives around here. I'm sure loads of them do it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

pwurple wrote: »
    Nope, don't know Marley park. i live in Cork, carpenter also lives around here. I'm sure loads of them do it though.

Oh sorry, this is the guy I'm talking about. http://www.pixieandfleur.com/pages/monkey-pod-stools

yellow hen wrote: »
    Oh sorry, this is the guy I'm talking about. http://www.pixieandfleur.com/pages/monkey-pod-stools

Oh those are sweet! They look like they have been screwed together (flatpack style) rather than done with joinery though... Dunno would they last long with kids battering them. I'm a woodwork nut though, like a bit of dovetail. ;)

Moneybox was a nice suggestion too. Jewelery box is along the same idea for girls too. They wouldn't have anything to put into it, but is a nice thing to have long-term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Love the 'baby hoodies' by Morrck. Can be ordered on their website and are a godsend especially this time of year. They're a blanket that fit into the car seat with holes for the straps, and means you never need to try squeeze the baby into coats in the winter because blanket wraps around and keeps them cosy. The fleecy one is so soft (think its called all weather on the site).

sillysocks wrote: »
    Love the 'baby hoodies' by Morrck. Can be ordered on their website and are a godsend especially this time of year. They're a blanket that fit into the car seat with holes for the straps, and means you never need to try squeeze the baby into coats in the winter because blanket wraps around and keeps them cosy. The fleecy one is so soft (think its called all weather on the site).

They sound nice but totally inappropriate for Australia!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    They sound nice but totally inappropriate for Australia!

Maybe not for coming into summer now but a bigger size for next winter is a good idea. Winters are cold in australia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement