Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Rant Thread MKII (a new place to dump ur baggage)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rant: Equal fcu%4ng rights!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Rant: People always fcuking whinging & moaning. Smile and be happy for fcuksake from time to time!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

Rants...

1. Drivers txting & facebooking when I'm running at night, jumping into ditches on backroads to avoid them despite fluro reflective gear on.. I wish 1 would stop..

2. Idiots going to a trail race claiming it was mucky & had tree roots on the trail - wtf

3. Blingers & mingers looking for crappy medals & tshirts from every race regardless of where they finish... This doesnt happen in any top level sport & even primary schools children dont all get a medal on sports day

4. Self procraimed "champions" & "legends" of running , common in certain province - wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ron Gomall wrote: »
    Rants...

1. Drivers txting & facebooking when I'm running at night, jumping into ditches on backroads to avoid them despite fluro reflective gear on.. I wish 1 would stop..

But the RSA lead us to believe that they're some magical forcefield and there's no onus on drivers to drive safer because the peds are in high VI's.
    2. Idiots going to a trail race claiming it was mucky & had tree roots on the trail - wtf

Do tell us more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

'real sexism is having a race for women' time of year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Enduro

walshb wrote: »
    Nothing to do with hypocrisy. Cycling on roads where cars and trucks are without a safety helmet is foolish IMO. Driving cars or trucks on roads whilst not wearing a helmet is not "as foolish."

Again, nothing but "IMO", with absolutely no basis in facts whatsover

Enduro wrote: »
    Again, nothing but "IMO", with absolutely no basis in facts whatsover

So what. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Rant over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭watercarrier

Rant: the Germans refusing to pay the Greeks war reparations.

Rant: fascism in general

Rant: people with no sense of humour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Losing ECOLII again. It's very ****ing frustrating seeing just how good this forum can be when it comes together with a positive attitude (The recent fund raiser he was involved with in particular) and then see parts of the rest of the forum being engulfed in bull**** that has our most valued and experienced posters walking or being pushed away. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Losing ECOLII again. It's very ****ing frustrating seeing just how good this forum can be when it comes together with a positive attitude (The recent fund raiser he was involved with in particular) and then see parts of the rest of the forum being engulfed in bull**** that has our most valued and experienced posters walking or being pushed away. :mad:

what?? what happened now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ive lost me coach!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

<SNIP>
    Care to explain!!

Rant: Sites losing control!

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Care to explain!!

Draw your own conclusions Cheif

• Advertisement

Ive lost me coach!

He will be in touch ! Don't worry about that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Did he say that?
    He's a big boy. I'm sure he's well able to cope with discussions/arguments on the forum. When he was a mod he had to deal with far worse than any little debacles in the last few days.

Ososlo wrote: »
    Did he say that?
    He's a big boy. I'm sure he's well able to cope with discussions/arguments on the forum. When he was a mod he had to deal with far worse than any little debacles in the last few days.

You're jumping to conclusions. It's not all about ECOLII. Those are my words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I skipped the last few pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Can understand people bailing to be honest. For the discussion about the WWM was harmless enough and there were warnings given, yet on Friday in a certain thread, it was bordering on bullying and not a single warning given!!

Consistency is the key to a good forum like last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Can understand people bailing to be honest. For the discussion about the WWM was harmless enough and there were warnings given, yet on Friday in a certain thread, it was bordering on bullying and not a single warning given!!

Which thread was that on Friday ?

kit3 wrote: »

I won't name the thread due to various reasons.

Rant: Teases.

I won't name the thread due to various reasons.

Fair enough - just didn't notice any bullying & was surprised at your comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Was it the one with the girl asking for advice on if she should do a marathon or not, and in general boredom in training for one ? Fair enough, she may not have taken everything on board, but that thread certainly stuck in my mind as a clusterfuck of uncalled for arseholery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

<mod>Here is a message that one of the CMODs recently left to the local mods very recently:

Questioning mod decisions in-thread is at best going off-topic, and often back-seat modding. It's pretty much barred across the site except in certain forums such as the Help Desk, Feedback and DRF. They should be told that if they wish to question any mod actions they should take it to PM

</mod>

Accordingly, please stop discussing mod actions. If you want to take anything further, please follow the appropriate procedures.

We arent questioning the decision, we are having a ranting

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Did you report the post(s) you deemed were bullying? Or are you expecting mods to read every single post on the forum?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Did you report the post(s) you deemed were bullying? Or are you expecting mods to read every single post on the forum?

I said bordering on bullying and we aren't allow to discuss it

Gettin' it in early. St. Patrick's day parades. 99 percent of them are a load of bo%$ix....End of.

• Advertisement

Gettin' it in early. St. Patrick's day parades. 99 percent of them are a load of bo%$ix....End of.

Ok - I'll agree with you in that one - usually head for the mountains

Rant: Threads that repeat and rinse and repeat and rinse. Talk about much ado about nothing. No prizes for guessing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Rant: Threads that repeat and rinse and repeat and rinse. Talk about much ado about nothing. No prizes for guessing!
    Ye, I know, those paddy's day parade rants get really boring. Every bloody year.

yes but to some people who haven't been around this place for years and years like yourself;) they're new debates and might just get people thinking that we're not living in 1984 anymore:)

Ososlo wrote: »
    yes but to some people who haven't been around this place for years and years like yourself;) they're new debates and might just get people thinking that we're not living in 1984 anymore:)

Ososlo, I was being ironic. I'm a divil for repeating and rinsing. I was hoping some sharp tool would pull me on that post

Rant: Anti feminists. You hate Valentine's, and now you want the WMM banned!:mad::pac:

BTW, it's rinse and repeat. Silly me!

Ososlo, I was being ironic. I'm a divil for repeating and rinsing. I was hoping some sharp tool would pull me on that post

Rant: Anti feminists. You hate Valentine's, and now you want the WMM banned!:mad::pac:

And there's you just waiting to give flowers you auld romantic ;)

:D Sorry. I'm so full of angst I don't have time for irony at the moment:rolleyes:

And there's you just waiting to give flowers you auld romantic ;)

Ososlo ruined my Valentine's this year. But she did save me a fortune. Every cloud........

• Advertisement

gerard_65 wrote: »
    Ye, I know, those paddy's day parade rants get really boring. Every bloody year.

Rant: Trying to belittle a rant! Next year will be Patrick's day rant two. I started it.....

Rant again: People referring to our Patron saint as Paddy!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Rant: walshb constantly ranting on the rant thread!! Feck off to the rave thread for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

tang1 wrote: »
    Rant: walshb constantly ranting on the rant thread!! Feck off :):)

TbL

tang1 wrote: »
    Rant: walshb constantly ranting on the rant thread!! Feck off to the rave thread for a while.

I just did.

Rant: Posting being discouraged. Or is it excessive posting being discouraged!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The AIB club championship ad with the loser sub trying so motivate the team to get him to croke park. F&ck me he's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ron Gomall

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But the RSA lead us to believe that they're some magical forcefield and there's no onus on drivers to drive safer because the peds are in high VI's.

Do tell us more.

Vartry 10km "Trail race", runners from a FB support page/club complained that the course was muddy & had tree roots on it & therefore it was dangerous. Now I don't know what they were expecting on a trail given that it had been raining and is surrounded by a lake with trees but they should know what a trail is... I can only assume that it was their first race outside of a park run but even Marley park has mud in it...
    Just frustrating when a good race in beautiful surroundings gets complaints about mud & trees... (It wasn't even that muddy, what would they think if they ran a leg of the Art O Neill... Or WWT /WWU next week) obviously never run any IMRA or other races but are suddenly expert Race directors... I'm only a punter but my rant is that I have to listen to people complain and be polite (well mostly 😊)
    Rant over till next week

• Advertisement

Eamon Coghlan: Cried for weeks when he found out his son was gay....

Hate to think what he'd be like if his son told him some really "bad" news!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Can you not empatise?. it would shock most fathers to the core. I'm not sure I'd be ecstatic about my son telling me that as I'm fully aware how ****ing backward this country is in relation to anything remotely not normal.

He advocating a Yes vote and he has the guts to tell his story. Fair play I say.

Can you not empatise?. it would shock most fathers to the core. I'm not sure I'd be ecstatic about my son telling me that as I'm fully aware how ****ing backward this country is in relation to anything remotely not normal.

He advocating a Yes vote and he has the guts to tell his story. Fair play I say.

Are you for real? His advocating for a yes vote and telling us that he was crying for weeks does the cause no good at all. Crying for weeks because his son told him he was gay? I've never heard such fooking nonsense. I can understand any parent maybe being taken aback, and yes, possibly a little concerned and even upset, but he basically made out that this was horrendous. What a tit. I don't believe that he was crying for weeks, and if he was, then jesus H christ! If he is exaggerating it then that's a pretty low thing to do.

BTW, who said he had to be ecstatic about his son's news?

His revelation does nothing to encourage or give support to anyone out there who may be thinking of telling their parents. It discourages it.
    And the fact that the revelation is likely exaggerated makes the task even more difficult. Unbelievable. Even if the claim is true did he have to make it public?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You are looking at it from the wrong direction. Like you, I thought it was a bit of a strange statement to be coming out with as well.
    His revelation does nothing to encourage or give support to anyone out there who may be thinking of telling their parents. It discourages it.
    But his statement is not trying to help anyone who may be thinking of telling their parents, those people are irrelevant as far as campaigning for the referendum goes, they will already be voting yes. There is nothing to be gained by campaigning the LGBT people.
    His advocating for a yes vote and telling us that he was crying for weeks does the cause no good at all. Crying for weeks because his son told him he was gay?

The people that his comment is aimed at is those who are on the no side and maybe have kids, and he is saying that it's really not as big a deal as you think. Get over yourselves and be happy for your kids whatever life they happen to lead. Hes saying that he was initially upset, but that he's actually disappointed with himself for being like that, and not having been able to support his son better.

robinph wrote: »
    You are looking at it from the wrong direction. Like you, I thought it was a bit of a strange statement to be coming out with as well.

But his statement is not trying to help anyone who may be thinking of telling their parents, those people are irrelevant as far as campaigning for the referendum goes, they will already be voting yes. There is nothing to be gained by campaigning the LGBT people.

The people that his comment is aimed at is those who are on the no side and maybe have kids, and he is saying that it's really not as big a deal as you think. Get over yourselves and be happy for your kids whatever life they happen to lead. Hes saying that he was initially upset, but that he's actually disappointed with himself for being like that, and not having been able to support his son better.

I urge anyone to read what he said. The guy was disgusted that his son was gay. He didn't directly say that, but what he did say can only be construed as such. Devastated and heartbroken and crying for weeks, and he thinks making this public is going to help?

"When I discovered my son, Michael was gay I was devastated. I cried for weeks. The hopes and dreams I had for my son were shattered. I felt guilty, almost as if I was to blame for him being gay."

"I tried to cover up my disappointment. While I hugged him, told him I loved him, I had to come to terms that, it was not about me but, about him and his life ahead."

God help any gay person reading this in this day and age. He is as far from an endorser of equal rights for gay people as regards marriage as you can get.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement