Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitoring Service for already installed alarm - Visonic Powermax Express

Options
  • 15-10-2014 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

We've got a visonic powermax express alarm installed and our monitoring service contract with the installer expired this month. We had a number of issues over the contract so decided not to renew the contract

I spent a week contacting companies asking about monitoring and most would not support the alarm we had installed. We did eventually find one, quite a large one!! We agreed the contract, signed dd agreement and expected the engineer out to put our alarm on their system. In the meantime they asked for us to contact the installer to get the engineer codes, which we did and this caused the removal of our current monitoring!

Fast forward a week and I get a call from the engineer of the new monitoring company to inform me that they cant support our alarm.

So we now have no monitoring service, have burnt our bridges with the installer and I am not sure if we'll get a monitoring service for this alarm now, especially if the new one cant support it - they make it!

Is it even possible to get someone to take on a preinstalled alarm for monitoring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Check the PSA register for local installers in your area and ring a few. Shouldnt be more than €200 for the year ( unless you go with phonewatch).. does your system have a gsm unit ?
    Make sure your getting 2-3 call outs per year included in the price. Some companies will offer you a free connection and free gsm if you sign a 3 year contract with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Thanks Evolution1, have spoken to some more this morning and have one coming in the morning to take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Youre system should have a gsm built in but it wouldnt be a polling gsm.. so look to have it connected to your phoneline aswell as the gsm network..
    He/she should have been able to tell you over the phone if they can take it or not.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I can't understand why any decent company would refuse a monitoring connection for this alarm system.
    It conforms to the relevant standards and it's easy to reprogram and is compatible for connection to any monitoring centre.
    Evolution is correct. Look at getting it connected via a land line or an external gsm with polling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

We've got a visonic powermax express alarm installed and our monitoring service contract with the installer expired this month. We had a number of issues over the contract so decided not to renew the contract

I spent a week contacting companies asking about monitoring and most would not support the alarm we had installed. We did eventually find one, quite a large one!! We agreed the contract, signed dd agreement and expected the engineer out to put our alarm on their system. In the meantime they asked for us to contact the installer to get the engineer codes, which we did and this caused the removal of our current monitoring!

Fast forward a week and I get a call from the engineer of the new monitoring company to inform me that they cant support our alarm.

So we now have no monitoring service, have burnt our bridges with the installer and I am not sure if we'll get a monitoring service for this alarm now, especially if the new one cant support it - they make it!

Is it even possible to get someone to take on a preinstalled alarm for monitoring?

That should be no problem once they have used your system before. The manual off this system does look daunting but its a fairly straight forward job to take over, should be no need for an engineer code when taking over one of these systems either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Youre system should have a gsm built in but it wouldnt be a polling gsm.. so look to have it connected to your phoneline aswell as the gsm network..
    He/she should have been able to tell you over the phone if they can take it or not.

The express can be purchased without a GSM and added on as an add on.
    A polling GSM would be the best route to take if using the GSM network.

Advertisement