Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Next Generation iPad/s - 16th October Announcement

• 15-10-2014 10:52am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭

With an announcement from Apple scheduled tomorrow and new iPads rumoured to be in the mix, I thought I'd kick-off a new thread.

Here's my wish list:

Touch ID
    Large format iPad +
    More RAM

What are you hoping to see announced tomorrow? Any predictions?

For the benefit of the inevitable Android delegation: yes I know <X>droid is cheaper, I know <Y>droid has a 27000 core processor, I know <Z>droid has <insert random feature>, I know <M>droid has a 14billion gigapixel display and <C>droid has a rear camera that can capture atom movements on the surface of the moon. On the remote possibility that ever interests me, I'll stop by the Android forum.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Touch ID and an iPhone 6 form factor with the curved screen edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Increased/cheaper disk space same as happened with the iPhone's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Updated iMac, with no chin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Starting to think that if a retina iMac wasn't coming tomorrow (as I've believed) then Apple would've had a controlled denial-leak by now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As I said in the other thread, a 5k iMac is probably years away, so I’m expecting a 4k iMac, probably smaller and separate from the current 27-inch. A 5k ACD for the Mac Pro could happen but given Apple’s long running neglect of that product and the fact that the existing ACD was designed for the MacBook, I’m not holding my breath.

I really think it’s time they dropped the ACD and other half-hearted products like the Mac Mini, but they probably won’t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bendy iPad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭squonk

If that link is correct (and I don't see why it isn't) then it's really a case of "Move along! Nothing to see here!" with the Air 2. The usual expected updates really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Everything's kind of already out there about what to expect today. New iPad Air and mini, with a 'S' type of upgrade.
    Retina iMac, possible Mac mini update and then Yosemite and iOS 8.1.

Anything else would be extra, but I'd imagine this to be a very small announcement compared to last months.

I'd like to see them do something radical with the Mac Mini. The current form factor has been around so long that it's now pretty antiquated. The Intel NUC is now a far better prospect for a small footprint BYOP computer than the Mini. The only advantage the Mini has right now is that ir runs OSX.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Is this broadcasted on apples website again? Hope its nothing like the last iphone 6/6+ broadcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Will we be getting another free album?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Is this broadcasted on apples website again? Hope its nothing like the last iphone 6/6+ broadcast.

I think so, I've been practicing my Chinese just in case :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Bummer1234 wrote: »

Probably won't be anywhere near as popular tbh. Should be able to handle the load this time.

endacl wrote: »

The bonus this time is they take the last one back. :D

endacl wrote: »

Oh it'll be even nastier than that, another new U2 album AND a new Coldplay album :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Crazy how quiet this is compared to the previous event :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is the stream stable this time? :pac:

No problems at all so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

What time is the stream at? What time?

Apple being the a-holes they are won't allow me to watch as I'm an Android/Windows user.

Thank God for Dolphin Browser user agents ;)

• Advertisement

What time is the stream at? What time?

Apple being the a-holes they are won't allow me to watch as I'm an Android/Windows user.

Thank God for Dolphin Browser user agents ;)

It's on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

yada yada yada GET ON WITH IT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There’s not a lot to announce today, so there’s going to be a lot of filler and recapping stuff we already know.

Just let me know when 8.1 is coming out with the wifi fix. getting tiresome resetting network settings for wifi to work properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Stream working fine on Appple TV. Missed the start. Anything of interest or just waffle?

adox wrote: »
    Stream working fine on Appple TV. Missed the start. Anything of interest or just waffle?

just waffle

The stream via vlc is a bit iffy.

continuity looking pretty good

• Advertisement

Neither of my Macs are Handoff supported. My 2011 Air has a compatible Bluetooth chip, but Apple say the firmware hasn’t the right firmware fixes.

Advertisement