Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Next Generation iPad/s - 16th October Announcement

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Is it still on? The keynote I mean.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple aren't the only company that do this.

Yes the Americans prices are excluding tax but their taxes are miniscule compared to ours, 7.5% seems to be fairly common vs 23%.

It's so unfair to just convert straight from $ to € and add on €10 for the sake of it!

I didn’t say anything about taxes. As I said, I’d attribute the price increase to exchange rate fluctuations. At times Apple have sold their products over here for less (pre-tax) than they cost in the US, so it can sometimes go in our favour. This was the case with the original iPad, as I recall. But Apple’s business is based on the dollar, so if necessary they will screw us to maintain their margins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Is it still on? The keynote I mean.

No it ended a while ago.

IPad Mini 3, iPad Air 2, iMac Retina.

That's about it I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

DubDJ wrote: »
    Any info on the iPad Air 2 release for Ireland? Got lost in all that info.

Order tomorrow buddy! Prob have it in a week

I didn’t say anything about taxes. As I said, I’d attribute the price increase to exchange rate fluctuations. At times Apple have sold their products over here for less (pre-tax) than they cost in the US, so it can sometimes go in our favour. This was the case with the original iPad, as I recall. But Apple’s business is based on the dollar, so if necessary they will screw us to maintain their margins.

$399 is currently €311, sells for €409 here, regardless of what you say about currency fluctuations it won't even be nearly €100 in the difference!

Apple, Google, most companies that sell here just like to milk as much out of European customers as they can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Apple aren't the only company that do this.

Yes the Americans prices are excluding tax but their taxes are miniscule compared to ours, 7.5% seems to be fairly common vs 23%.

It's so unfair to just convert straight from $ to € and add on €10 for the sake of it!

Yeah but from a companies point of view they just want to make money. And people will pay it. So why not?
    They've always been unfair with their prices. And the whole no 32gb is extra unfair.
    100eur extra for the Mini with the TouchID which will probably get a review on Engadget and the other tech sites and people will fork out the money for it. You don't get to where Apple are by being fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

$399 is currently €311, sells for €409 here, regardless of what you say about currency fluctuations it won't even be nearly €100 in the difference!

Apple, Google, most companies that sell here just like to milk as much out of European customers as they can!

$399 is actually getable for €322 ... i.e. a bank / post office (not XE.com)

and €409 ex tax is €332

So €10 difference.... and you don't have to pay for a flight to the US :P

Hmm... Okay maybe I forgot to add VAT.

Apple overlords... I be sorry :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

200 euro more for the iMac is a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Anyone able to download yosemite yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Am I right in saying Id save 120 if I buy the 64gb ipad after today event.

Can anyone in a nutshell tell me the difference between iPad Air abs iPad Air 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭iniall

Ronan14 wrote: »

"The item you've requested is not currently available in the Ireland Store."

Grrr...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ronan14 wrote: »

Nope, not on the Irish store yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

adox wrote: »
    Nope, not on the Irish store yet

Not in the US store yet either, or any store from what I'm reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I currently have the iPad Air, and I think i'll be upgrading.

Few things in it for me, I'm completely out of space on my iPad 32GB so I beed extra, the Middle tier is now perfect for me and matches the iPhone lineup. I love Touch ID and having it on the iPad is one of the main reasons for wanting to uodate. The usual spec increases are nice and will make it that little but faster, no mention on RAM but rumoured to be 2GB. Lastly, the screen. I seen the iPhone 6 for the first time and was blown away, it's one one the best features, and now the iPad Air 2 supposedly has that same screen. I think that just pushed me to want the new iPad. All in its a solid upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

I've a 32gb iPad air and don't see a reason to upgrade to the 2 looking at the specs. Was hoping for more but don't know what I was expecting.
    I currently have the iPad Air, and I think i'll be upgrading.

Few things in it for me, I'm completely out of space on my iPad 32GB so I beed extra, the Middle tier is now perfect for me and matches the iPhone lineup. I love Touch ID and having it on the iPad is one of the main reasons for wanting to uodate. The usual spec increases are nice and will make it that little but faster, no mention on RAM but rumoured to be 2GB. Lastly, the screen. I seen the iPhone 6 for the first time and was blown away, it's one one the best features, and now the iPad Air 2 supposedly has that same screen. I think that just pushed me to want the new iPad. All in its a solid upgrade.

Or the Mac Mini which Apple should have just put out of its misery.

Don't think I'd agree with that tbh. The Mac mini is a great entry level computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

The I pad mini 3 is a joke - but the good news is the i pad mini 2 is now a much more competitive price!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Yosemite is up, 5.16GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Yosemite is up, 5.16GB

It's telling me that it's temporarily unavailable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Lardy wrote: »
    It's telling me that it's temporarily unavailable...

Said that too for me yet still popped up in Launchpad.
    Download is really quick too, surprisingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

There's an error in the Appstore for me, apparently :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Really dissapointed there is no 32gb iPad Air 2. I have an original iPad 32gb and am going to upgrade - I don't need 64gb, but 16 isn't enough, so it looks like the iPad Air 1 it is for me now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

. I love Touch ID and having it on the iPad is one of the main reasons for wanting to uodate.

What do you use TouchID for? I've never had it. Just for lock screen?

iPad Air 2 is €489 in Germany, €499 in Italy, €489 in Austria, €489 in Spain, €509 in Portugal which also has 23% VAT so that explains it.

You could probably import it if you really wanted to but I understand Apples reasoning now.

symbolic wrote: »
    What do you use TouchID for? I've never had it. Just for lock screen?

Lock screen originally, it's been integrated into apps now that support it instead of password entry. Can also be used for apple pay, app purchases, etc.

Yosemite download working now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mel.b wrote: »
    Really dissapointed there is no 32gb iPad Air 2. I have an original iPad 32gb and am going to upgrade - I don't need 64gb, but 16 isn't enough, so it looks like the iPad Air 1 it is for me now :(

I don't get this complaint.

You bought a 32gb before so you're obviously happy with that price point.

Now for that same price you get 64gb which basically means 32gb free. What's the problem with that?
    If they'd stuck with the 16gb. 32gb and 64gb model you'd have happily bought the 32gb anyway.

No harm in having extra space even if it is unused in my opinion.

Advertisement