Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Next Generation iPad/s - 16th October Announcement

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Don't think I'd agree with that tbh. The Mac mini is a great entry level computer

I totally agree, we're using a mac mini to run the following:

Our website.
    Continuous Integration of 40-60 android/iOS projects.
    OS X server to cache common downloads.

a very capable device just got a whole lot better in my books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'll be sticking with my 32GB iPad Air. The Air 2 is nice but the main selling points seems to be touch id, which I have very little desire for.

Getting rid of the 32GB model - Not a fan, Apple.

The update and cost of the Mini is a joke.

No new iPod is interesting. My Touch 5 is still going strong anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DubDJ wrote: »
    I currently have the iPad Air, and I think i'll be upgrading.

Few things in it for me, I'm completely out of space on my iPad 32GB so I beed extra, the Middle tier is now perfect for me and matches the iPhone lineup. I love Touch ID and having it on the iPad is one of the main reasons for wanting to uodate. The usual spec increases are nice and will make it that little but faster, no mention on RAM but rumoured to be 2GB. Lastly, the screen. I seen the iPhone 6 for the first time and was blown away, it's one one the best features, and now the iPad Air 2 supposedly has that same screen. I think that just pushed me to want the new iPad. All in its a solid upgrade.

I also have the Air 32gb and I will definitely not be upgrading.

Best feature on it is the Touch ID. Have it now on the iPhone 6 and love it.

As for the rest, I don't see the thinness and less weight as a huge advantage. Nor do I find the Air a slouch with the A7 processor.

Don't get your screen argument as according to their comparisons the screens are exactly the same.

That's about it really, don't see any real need to upgrade as my Air works perfectly well although you seem to have your mind made up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

murpho999 wrote: »

As for the rest, I don't see the thinness and less weight as a huge advantage. Nor do I find the Air a slouch with the A7 processor.

Don't get your screen argument as according to their comparisons the screens are exactly the same.

That's about it really, don't see any real need to upgrade as my Air works perfectly well although you seem to have your mind made up!

There is a lot more to a display than being the the same resolution as the previous model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Would have like 32 in New iPad. Will wait until the new software comes out for photos before I make any move.

Although I have all Apple products, what does annoy me is the price difference between here and the States.

• Advertisement

as stated earlier in the thread there's very little difference when you actually use the proper currency conversion rates, add tax, customs and import duty.

as stated earlier in the thread there's very little difference when you actually use the proper currency conversion rates, add tax, customs and import duty.

Correct. However, I bought iPhone5S as a present in the States last Christmas. Then there was some saving.

Not interested in importing.

In fairness when people buy in the U.S. they don't intend on paying the import duties on it.

FourFourFM wrote: »

They are wrong as Apple have confirmed on their comparison page that it's got the A7.

• Advertisement

They are wrong as Apple have confirmed on their comparison pagethat it's got the A7.

Yeah I know that. I'm pointing out that a site as reputable as Forbes made a big blunder. The whole thing says a lot though.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Yeah I know that. I'm pointing out that a site as reputable as Forbes made a big blunder. The whole thing says a lot though.

Ok with you now.

Also that "Thought of the Day" thing on Forbes' website is very annoying!:pac:

thought of the day, reason i don't click any forbes links any more, unless someone url shortens it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

I'm abit confused about this Apple Sim in the Air 2. Will it just connect to a network? Or can we still put in our own sims?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The top three reason for me would be I need extra storage, I love Touch ID and yeah the screen is the same as the iPhone (Or very close) and has that laminated display. Its not just the pixels, it's the whole look of the thing, it was just a crazy difference from the iPhone 5 to 6 so it's a real incentive for me upgrading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Lock screen originally, it's been integrated into apps now that support it instead of password entry. Can also be used for apple pay, app purchases, etc.

What kind of apps need such constant password entry? cheers

symbolic wrote: »
    I've a journal app called Day One, it has touch id for opening, very handy.

also scanbot that i use to OCR bills/letters is under touch id (if you turn it on) again, the added security for zero extra effort is so worth it.

also i'd love if my twitter app had it too.

symbolic wrote: »

It's more convince than anything too. I used 1Password a lot and fill in logins with it too and it's really handy having TouchID for that too. Also downloading apps has been handy, and the more apps that get support the better it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Also Guided access uses Touch ID. Press down briefly on the home button and guided access ends. No one ever needs to see the password.

mad muffin wrote: »
    Also Guided access uses Touch ID. Press down briefly on the home button and guided access ends. No one ever needs to see the password.

That's new to me, didn't even realise. That will come in especially handy for me on the iPad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Yosemite is up, 5.16GB

Does that come off my 16gb in my MacBook Pro. Sorry for the stupid question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Apple now offer education discount on iPads.

Gonna pick myself up an Air 2, looks like a beast of a machine.

adam88 wrote: »
    Does that come off my 16gb in my MacBook Pro. Sorry for the stupid question

No, your 16gb is RAM which is temporary storage. Your actual HDD is much bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭squonk

Still happy with last year's Air though I was briefly tempted. I am now really looking forward to upgrading next year though. It'll be very worthwhile I think if they shave even more off the iPad Air 3 and reduce the weight a little bit more, and Touch ID as well. The only downside is that my Air 1 has a much poorer resale value now than it did yesterday morning! :)

Apple products are now comareable to buying a car. Replace ever 3 years or so. As mentioned trade in is getting a little less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I see argos have the iPad Air 64 gb reduced to 479. That's a good price but I'm not sure whether I should put another 140 to get the air2 or to get the air and save.

All I can see the difference being is the Touch ID and that it's a little but thinner

Suggestions ????

I'd go for the latest and greatest because you'll have an extra year of decent running software.

Advertisement