Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navdy Head Up Display- project phone functionality on to the windscreen

• 15-10-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭

Anyone know anything about this.
    Supposedly out in early 2015 but taking preorders now.

http://youtu.be/pKL4PJICS40
    Basically a head up display which projects what's on your phone to your windscreen and responsive to voice commands and gestures.
    Just wondering about compatability with satnav apps. It says it works with Google maps but not anything else at the moment seemingly.
    Any advice much appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I've placed an order and will leave some feedback here when it ships early next year. If anyone else is ordering feel free to use my referral link please! http://www.navdy.com/xbf0Ak9O -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

neilled wrote: »
    I've placed an order and will leave some feedback here when it ships early next year. If anyone else is ordering feel free to use my referral link please! http://www.navdy.com/xbf0Ak9O -

You get a few quid off if you refer others don't you.
    Any idea about compatability with satnav apps outside of Google maps.
    Would it project the full map on to the screen do you know.

You get a few quid off if you refer others don't you.
    Any idea about compatability with satnav apps outside of Google maps.
    Would it project the full map on to the screen do you know.

Yep, I freely admit that. Buy hey, if your buying, feel free to help a brother out. Google Maps is the only nav app that will initially be supported, however there's support for more promised on the way. They haven't locked down which ones yet though.

I don't think the full map will be projected, I'm imagining a slimmed down version will be in place, and thats what any product promotion images imply.

Language Localisation remains a concern - Its shipping with US english with other languages to follow, depending on demand.

Total cost is $330 for shipping to Ireland at this stage.

Actually, if you look at this review you get a quick glimpse of google maps...... Its all in preproduction though....

Yep, I freely admit that. Buy hey, if your buying, feel free to help a brother out. Google Maps is the only nav app that will initially be supported, however there's support for more promised on the way. They haven't locked down which ones yet though.

I don't think the full map will be projected, I'm imagining a slimmed down version will be in place, and thats what any product promotion images imply.

Language Localisation remains a concern - Its shipping with US english with other languages to follow, depending on demand.

Total cost is $330 for shipping to Ireland at this stage.

Thanks.
    Might get this before they hike the price to 499.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Might get this before they hike the price to 499.

Cool. Feel free to click through my referral and help me get a few bob off mine ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I'm presuming these are legal, here?

Actually got the Garmin HUD from Maplins. Impulse buy to just check out the concept more than anything else.

You get a free copy of Navigon with it (downloadable from Play Store) and it connects well by Bluetooth to your phone.
    The information that's projected on the windscreen is pretty basic ie turn image, speed, eta, speed limit.

Not bad for 130 euro for a first go at this.
    One thing I don't like is if you project directly to the windscreen you get a slight double image so you have to use the accompanying plastic plate instead (which is a bit unwieldy because you can't fold it down).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

If you pre order do they charge your card now?

If you pre order do they charge your card now?

They do, it's about €260

• Advertisement

Update on this - Navdy have kicked back their delivery date to september 2015 as presumably the development hasn't gone as smoothly as possible. Refunds available to those who weren't satisfied and a refund of postage charges to everyone who hung in.

These are out now with a good few months with some mixed reviews. Down to £500 on Amazon.

Anybody got one? What are they like? Worth it?

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one.

I have my preorder since the start of the year..... the ability to have your data floating in front of the road is great, when I drive other cars, I really notice how much time you spend looking at your instruments checking the speed etc. Navigation however is not perfect. HERE MAPS doesn't really do it for me in Ireland - be it on their website or on the navdy. It produces some odd routes. Also there's the infamous lagging that seems to be impacting some but not all users with the GPS functionality - when you have voice turn by turn directions everything is fine, however when travelling at speed the position indicator appears behind your current location. Initially they said this was to do with my car having a quick clear windscreen, however it seems to be a software issue. 

For £500 I'd say its not worth it. I paid $299, essentially to be a beta tester...... its been a mixed bag. A great concept but the execution still isn't all there.

I have my preorder since the start of the year..... the ability to have your data floating in front of the road is great, when I drive other cars, I really notice how much time you spend looking at your instruments checking the speed etc. Navigation however is not perfect. HERE MAPS doesn't really do it for me in Ireland - be it on their website or on the navdy. It produces some odd routes. Also there's the infamous lagging that seems to be impacting some but not all users with the GPS functionality - when you have voice turn by turn directions everything is fine, however when travelling at speed the position indicator appears behind your current location. Initially they said this was to do with my car having a quick clear windscreen, however it seems to be a software issue. 

For £500 I'd say its not worth it. I paid $299, essentially to be a beta tester...... its been a mixed bag. A great concept but the execution still isn't all there.

Thank you.

I might wait another 12 months to see if some of the issues are fixed.

Thank you.

I might wait another 12 months to see if some of the issues are fixed.

No problem, its good, but not what they are asking right now. Its interesting that the Anker ROAV HUD and the Exploride haven't made it to market yet - Navdy was years in development hell and still emerged less than perfect.

Advertisement